Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

That Plymouth camper, ('59), is done the same way I put a Tour-a-Home slide-in camper in the back of a '58 Cadillac coup deville. It was real hack job. As bad as you can imagine and worse. Fortunately, a cracked block took it off the road before I killed somebody with it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Niel Hoback said:

Fortunately, a cracked block took it off the road before I killed somebody with it.

16 hours ago, Niel Hoback said:

'58 Cadillac coup deville.

These days that Cad. with camper at a car show with some Caddy lovers there, they would be looking for a rope and big tree to take care of you.  :mad::rolleyes:

DJ

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

These days that Cad. with camper at a car show with some Caddy lovers there, they would be looking for a rope and big tree to take care of you.  :mad::rolleyes:

DJ

therein lies the majority of the problem with old car clubs/followings/individuals...everyone thinks they have a say in the way THE OTHER GUY builds his vehicle....of course I see daily things I think is stupid, unsafe and plain reeks of cheap and slothfulness that may not be safe at any speed...shake it off and move along Betty.....I did not like the Plymouth with the camper...would I have told him it  looked ridicules and he was an idiot...NEVER to his face...:lol:  just snicker as I walk away....

The guy that put the camper on that 58 Plymouth owns about 2 million+ $$ dollars worth of CORRECT and original or perfectly restored (and some very rare) cars.  I know this because his son gave me a tour of their 2 heated pole buildings the day I looked at that Plymouth (when I considered buying it).  So I've long since forgiven him for his one abomination LOL.  

They are hosting a car show on their property like they do every year; this year its on August 5th.  I hope to attend it.  Even if I don't, I'm going back there to request another tour of his car collection at some point, and this time I will take pictures for you guys so you can see his array of vehicles.  I mean, if he sold everything off today a guy could retire off the sales tomorrow.  I was blown away by what I saw that day.  Like I said, in due time I will take pics and post up his amazing collection. 

Today's adventures (Sunday June 25) took us to Decorah, IA.  My family and I had never been there before, so we thought it would be worth the trip to check it out.  If anything, just driving the Meadowbrook down there would be good enough for me :)

We were pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean the city was, and how much history is there.  There are plaques all over town showing the historic buildings how they stood back in the 1800s.  So I am going to post some of that stuff for you guys.  I'll keep it short and simple.  

Its been unseasonably cool here in SE MN, so driving around has been absolutely perfect.  We took the dogs with as well and they always enjoy being "lulled" by the sound of the Meadowbrook's engine and the slight vibrations on the floor :P

Here's my son and the dogs:

Cole with pooches in 51.jpg

We first stopped at the BP station in Mabel, MN for gas.  Car is running great; the engine has really smoothed out.  There's about 1,800 miles on the rebuild now.

gas_station_in_Mabel.jpg

Edited by Worden18

This building in Decorah was originally a hotel (1870s) but only lasted about 5 years.  After that it was a boarding house for a long time, but now is a Norwegian Heritage Museum (since 1936).  We didn't tour it because we had the dogs with.  Beautiful building!

Old_hotel_in_Decorah,_IA_(2).jpg

Edited by Worden18

This building is directly across the street from the old hotel.  It is one of the oldest buildings in Decorah, erected in 1855 as a grocery store.  The old pics showed limestone gutters back then, and the street was quite a bit lower than what it is now.

1855 Grocery Decorah, IA.jpg

The Meadowbrook resting in a parking lot in Decorah while we walked around.  I always like taking pics of it in parking lots among modern vehicles; looks so out of place :P

Meadowbrook in Decorah, IA (2).jpg

The old train Depot downtown.  Not sure if its a museum now or not.  Looked taken care of, but nobody was around.  The tracks are long gone.

Train_Depot_in_Decorah,_IA_(1).jpg

Here's the courthouse (1904) which was erected after the old courthouse from 1857 was demolished.  They had numerous pictures of the previous courthouse and the demolition of it as well.  The building to the left is the jail, which was erected in 1878 when they realized they needed more room away from the courthouse for prisoners.  Only one person ever escaped.  There is still bars across the windows on the upper floor.

Courthouse in Decorah, IA (3).jpg

Edited by Worden18

Ground view looking up at one of the churches near the courthouse.  There are four enormous churches within one block of the courthouse.   This one was erected in 1917.  While looking up I wondered how the bricklayers did their job with such precision at those heights!

Catholic_Church_Decorah,_IA.jpg

Edited by Worden18

On the way home I spotted these 2 classics just off the main road.  I had seen them before (they are just outside of Mabel, MN) but hadn't stopped to take a pic or two until today.  Of course the truck is a Ford, but I'm not quite sure what make the car is.  I think its a Buick?  I didn't get close enough because I think they are someone's lawn ornaments and I didn't want to trespass.

Old car and truck outside of Mabel, MN (2).jpg

And one more of the truck.

Driving home after our visit to Iowa was awesome.  There wasn't much traffic and it was nice and cool.  The car ran perfect. Sometimes I drove 55, sometimes I drove 40.  But at any speed I was happy it was the Meadowbrook I was driving :D

Old car and truck outside of Mabel, MN (1).jpg

• Like 1

Wifey took the afternoon off work (Thursday June 29) so we decided to go cruisin' in the Meadowbrook.  We picked up a ton of brochures on our last trip to Decorah, IA, and I looked them over to see what might be fun.  We decided on the "Driftless Area Scenic Byway" that runs through NE Iowa.  We didn't travel the whole thing, but instead took a detour back across through Lansing and eventually back to Decorah.  I drove 40-45mph with the exception of when we left Decorah and headed north on Hwy 52, then I drove 55mph.

This was a little rest area along the way where we stopped to stretch and let the dogs out.

cruisin_through_Iowa_Driftless_ByWay_(3).jpg

There was a mowed path that led down to the river bank.  The water was actually flowing fairly fast.  Upper Iowa River I believe.  The dark areas under the upper part of the pillars is actually hundreds of barn swallow's nests!  

cruisin_through_Iowa_Driftless_ByWay_(1).jpg