Back Again!

Mr.Dids

So I thought I was finished with Mopars for a while when my '49 B1B went down the driveway but here I am again, this time with a 1947 Plymouth Deluxe Coupe.

WARNING!!!  Purists look away now!  This will be more of a hot rod than a resto.  There was no engine/trans, so it will be powered (fingers crossed) by a.....drumroll please.......

NO, NOT A SBC!!..........wait for it...

BMW V12, more precisely,  the complete drivetrain from a 750 BMW (fingers crossed lol).

Plans are for minor body mods and then sprayed likely a two-tone combo of copper metallic. 

Below are pics of the body and frame divorced (no, I don't have high-end equipment lol), a previous owner's high-tech suspension repair, AND the extremely rare lighted wheelwell option!!!

Oh, FYI.........If you happen to be the previous owner who welded patches over the body mounting bolts on the floorboard, know that I may have cursed you and your family to the twelfth generation! ;)

FB_IMG_1496278969632.jpg.cd1b99bf211cbee4d2565bb367ccb759.jpgFB_IMG_1496279104762.jpg.80476da470c61e159bd73bd68d1a4a1a.jpgFB_IMG_1496279136539.jpg.ec57d92f088769ea59bf86cd6d7db754.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mr.Dids said:

Now to get the Plymouth and BMW to play well together.

Anyone need/want an original rear and/or matching front end???

received_1610512602294214.jpeg.04065cc0beb583f2eaa27de7c6811954.jpeg

Only if it comes with those 2x4's still attached to the spring

• Like 2

On Thursday, June 08, 2017 at 0:44 AM, Mortimer452 said:

Only if it comes with those 2x4's still attached to the spring

Well, I hate to part with such a priceless piece of technology, but I guess If the price was right...

On Thursday, June 08, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Hubler13f said:

Where are you at in PA, I might be interested in it for parts.

SW PA, near Bedford.  I'm close to the MD line.

• 2 weeks later...

Til death do they part......

I not only introduced these two but well and truly married them.  I still need to replace the 1x3 "shocks" with coilovers (or at least 2x4s lol) and source some proper bolts to replace my temporary all-threads but that'll be down the road a while.

Looks like I'm losing my spare tire well and , if I wish to run these wheels and tires, widening the rear fenders but that's yet to be decided.

On to the front end....

received_1625121147500026.jpeg.34c36fc237462377bfcb9de92a67c1d8.jpeg

I'm a hotrodder so the Bob Marley & Wailers running gear sounds o/k by me....lol.......that rear end setup looks good.....btw is the rear end a transaxle or just the diff?....that third member mount looks good...........oh........and I added 2" into each rear fender on my 1940 Dodge when I rodded it in 1973, gas welded and hammer finished the whole way....lol........andyd. 

P1000673.JPG

P1000671.JPG

• Like 3

Andy, no, it is just a diff although now you have me thinking about how sweet a transaxle would be...

I'm loving the split bumper, so much so that I may have to steal........... I mean borrow, the idea.  My car was missing its bumpers and I was going to do a roll pan but I really like that split look.  

The split bumper came with one of the 1/2 dozen 1940 Dodges I bought over a period of about 3-4 yrs back when I was doing up the Dodge, the twin bumper car was a basketcase apart from someone doing a recessed number plate in the beaver panel and splitting the bars, the rest of the car was only good for parts so I got the twin bumper replated and have had the twin exhausts coming out there...I also had a tow bar on the car till fairly recently so that worked in well..........., only thing is the widened rear guards should have had the bumper mounts extended so the bars covered the outer edge of the fenders but seeing that really only me has ever noticed this I haven't really worried...the same applies to the front edge of the fender  as you can see it extended past the rear edge of the running board, again as there are so few people who know anything about 1940 Mopars here in Oz I haven't really worried about that also.......lol.........regards, andyd.  

• Like 1

Dids.........finally found the only pic I have of the 2" extra I welded into the Dodges fenders......this was gas welded & hammer finished by me around 1974 when I was young, bright eyed and bushy tailed.........lol.......anything was possible if I wanted it bad enough so I did it............the cut was made 1" from the inner edge then about 20' of 18guage metal was cut into 2" wide strips about a foot long, then various clamps etc were used to hold the 2" wide strip and outer fender together then tack welded, hammer & dolly etc then another piece inserted.....it was a slow job but worked out well.........lol....... .btw the vinyl top was an easy way to cover a couple of flat spots in the roof and was there from 1974 till about 5-6 yrs ago..........andyd 

img005 (5).jpg