1954 Dodge Scratch Built Rear Fender

Hey Guys,

I picked up this '54 Dodge fender off of Ebay awhile back to use on my project. It's in really sorry shape with lots of damage and paper thin metal. I figured i'd try my hand at recreating it. It'll be a great learning experience and lots of fun. 

I'm fairly new to metal shaping but i did take Wray Schelin's class back in June of 2014. It was a great investment, i learned a ton and would highly recommend his class to anyone wanting to learn. Wray is a master at the craft and an all around nice guy! Since then i've made several small patch panels but no large panel shaping like in this project. I've been doing the shaping at my house and going up to Wray's shop in Charlton, MA for help when im stuck. He's really been a huge help and i can't thank him enough for passing on his knowledge. Check out his website if you're interested, http://www.proshaper.com/

I'll update this thread with my progress as i go. It'll be slow going since im still learning and make lots of mistakes. The attached pics are of the first corner piece i'm making.

Thanks for looking,

-Chris

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

• Like 5

Here is another picture that i forgot. The fender will be made in 3 pieces then welded together. The tools used so far are, stump, mallet, sandbag, and english wheel.

-Chris

IMG_2725.JPG

• Like 3

Chris

Looking good! I need to make fenders for my Plymouth pt105. I have the tools but not the time. Too many cars the wife says. I have met Wray and you are right. Master craftsman and all around great guy. 

Brian

1 hour ago, sleepy said:

Chris

Looking good! I need to make fenders for my Plymouth pt105. I have the tools but not the time. Too many cars the wife says. I have met Wray and you are right. Master craftsman and all around great guy. 

Brian

Thanks. I hear ya on the time issue. Thats why in the three years since taking the class i hadn't done much shaping, no time for it. I spent all my time trying to get the '39 Coupe back on the road. It involved making some small patch panels but that was it. I now told my self that i need to do more shaping and i really want to learn. So theres no other way but to get out there and do it. Did you take Wray's class? Yea he is a great guy. Im happy to call him a mentor and a friend.

49 minutes ago, RNR1957NYer said:

Awesome craftsmanship!   Keep at it - only three more fenders, bed sides and a cab to go!

Thank you. It's funny that you bring that up. The two front fenders that i have now are fiberglass. I might end up recreating those in steel.

I met Wray in Illinois through metalmeet.com , all those guys are very good and helpful to new guys. Yeah I got 4 fenders to make,2 kids to send to college and 9 vehicles to maintain + work. 

Brian

• 11 months later...

Well I've been chipping away at the fender slowly. The top section of the fender is shaped and i am currently working on the front portion which has the reverse curve section. Once I'm finished with that panel it will be time to add the bead detail to each of the 3 sections and weld them together. I'll keep adding pictures as i make progress. Maybe this will inspire some other folks to take a whack (literally) at shaping metal!

-Chris

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

• Like 2