Cool tunes from stock AM radio with no antenna!

Bob Riding

I'm at the stage where I needed to install the antenna for my stock Mopar 802 radio into the '40 wagon, but I didn't want to drill holes in the cowl. I considered the "Roadway" running board mounted setup, but even if it worked, I was still stuck listening to local AM stations (mostly news, Spanish language, or religious broadcasts) so I was looking for an alternative. I remember seeing a company in Wisconsin that used your existing AM radio, 6 or 12 volt, negative or positive ground, with or WITHOUT an antenna, that would play your tunes from an mp3 player, iPod, phone, etc., through your stock radio, but I couldn't remember the name. Then I went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night with the part of the name: Ready-radio, or something to that effect. Google came up with RediRad so I contacted them at their website and after a little research, ordered the 6 volt, positive ground model, which was $99. 

The next weekend I installed it but it didn't really work- I could barely hear the music, with lots of static. I played around with the ground, took power directly from the battery, etc, with no luck.

I emailed them, explaining the situation. Matt, the owner/tech guy, suggesting a few different causes and offering to call me to discuss. Matt called yesterday, and talked me through the setup steps, and voila! it worked! Turns out my tuner was slightly off (you need to tune in to AM 1000). After that Matt and I talked for about 10 minutes (they are apparently all old car dudes at RediRad) and he asked if they could add a picture of the Plymouth on their website. Matt mentioned that they could have saved some money by offshoring the RediRad components, but decided to support American companies and purchase everything from US suppliers and manufacture them here. 

It is so refreshing in our supposed "service" economy to work with companies that walk the talk and seem to actually care about their customers. :D Now I can listen to the Beach Boys like back in the day!

Here is their web link: RediRad - Rediscover Your Radio

IMG_4477.jpg.9050031c00682bf843950d7f0a213a78.jpgIMG_4476.JPG.0caec7b4971943b0cc41185b979a7230.JPG

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

I'm at the stage where I needed to install the antenna for my stock Mopar 802 radio into the '40 wagon, but I didn't want to drill holes in the cowl. I considered the "Roadway" running board mounted setup, but even if it worked, I was still stuck listening to local AM stations (mostly news, Spanish language, or religious broadcasts) so I was looking for an alternative. I remember seeing a company in Wisconsin that used your existing AM radio, 6 or 12 volt, negative or positive ground, with or WITHOUT an antenna, that would play your tunes from an mp3 playeriPod, phone, etc., through your stock radio, but I couldn't remember the name. Then I went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night with the part of the name: Ready-radio, or something to that effect. Google came up with RediRad so I contacted them at their website and after a little research, ordered the 6 volt, positive ground model, which was $99. 

The next weekend I installed it but it didn't really work- I could barely hear the music, with lots of static. I played around with the ground, took power directly from the battery, etc, with no luck.

I emailed them, explaining the situation. Matt, the owner/tech guy, suggesting a few different causes and offering to call me to discuss. Matt called yesterday, and talked me through the setup steps, and voila! it worked! Turns out my tuner was slightly off (you need to tune in to AM 1000). After that Matt and I talked for about 10 minutes (they are apparently all old car dudes at RediRad) and he asked if they could add a picture of the Plymouth on their website. Matt mentioned that they could have saved some money by offshoring the RediRad components, but decided to support American companies and purchase everything from US suppliers and manufacture them here. 

It is so refreshing in our supposed "service" economy to work with companies that walk the talk and seem to actually care about their customers. :D Now I can listen to the Beach Boys like back in the day!

Here is their web link: RediRad - Rediscover Your Radio

IMG_4477.jpg.9050031c00682bf843950d7f0a213a78.jpgIMG_4476.JPG.0caec7b4971943b0cc41185b979a7230.JPG

Great to know!  Thank you for posting this.

I've had this same unit in my sedan for three years.  One day it mysteriously fried and Matt helped with a replacement at no cost.  The unit worked real well on my old 802.  Recently had an old-timer rebuild another 802 for me and I replaced the one in my sedan (which I sold to Bob Toft), now the Redi-rad I find it that the signal isn't as strong as it used to be so I guess I need to hear more about your tuning on the 802!

Redi-rad is nice unit at a decent price and I love that the old tunes on my Pandora 50's channel sound so sweet on the 70 year old equipment.

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

I've had this same unit in my sedan for three years.  One day it mysteriously fried and Matt helped with a replacement at no cost.  The unit worked real well on my old 802.  Recently had an old-timer rebuild another 802 for me and I replaced the one in my sedan (which I sold to Bob Toft), now the Redi-rad I find it that the signal isn't as strong as it used to be so I guess I need to hear more about your tuning on the 802!

Redi-rad is nice unit at a decent price and I love that the old tunes on my Pandora 50's channel sound so sweet on the 70 year old equipment.

This is what Matt emailed me:

If possible before we chat, tune in AM 980 KEYQ and/or AM 1010 KCHJ a few minutes before the top the hour.  The FCC requires call sign and frequency identification at the top of the hour.  With that information, determine what your dial needle is on...it may not be where you'd expect to see it.  

As mentioned in the owner's manual, your RediRad operates at AM1000, almost exactly between KEYQ & KCHJ in your area.  It is THERE you'll find the RediRad producing clear music, PROVIDED that your music source's headphone volume is set to 50% (AFTER you insert the audio plug into the device).

• Like 1

Another option with the RediRad is to use it with a portable satellite radio unit. I did that with my '41 Plymouth. Used the satellite radio antenna which is a small magnetic disc on my dash that is easily removed. Worked great.

Jim Yergin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim Yergin said:

Another option with the RediRad is to use it with a portable satellite radio unit. I did that with my '41 Plymouth. Used the satellite radio antenna which is a small magnetic disc on my dash that is easily removed. Worked great.

Jim Yergin

Great idea- I never thought of that.Did you use your stock radio and speaker?

I put a RediRad in my 1950 Wayfarer two weeks ago and it works great..  Yes you are limited by the capability of the old factory speaker but it is such an improvement over AM radio which locally offers almost no music.  I was ready to spend $400+ for an FM conversion of my stock radio but for $300 less I like this better.  I plug in my phone or MP3 player and listen all day to music of the 50's and 60's.  And even better they have a positive ground version so I didn't need to deal with that.  I put it in the glovebox.   Matt and the others were great to work with.  I sent them an email with a question on Sunday morning and had an answer that afternoon!

I just ordered this yesterday.  I'm already impressed with the customer service (e-mailed to confirm my application) and pleasant communication.  They want my business, which seems rare these days.  I am tired of the slim offerings in the Bay Area on AM radio.

• Like 1

I just got my Redi Rad today. Installation was simple.  The hardest part was deciding where to get my key on power. Quick, easy install. 

Dean Martin sounds fantastic coming over a single speaker through an AM radio in a 1954 Dodge!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nonstop said:

I just got my Redi Rad today. Installation was simple.  The hardest part was deciding where to get my key on power. Quick, easy install. 

Dean Martin sounds fantastic coming over a single speaker through an AM radio in a 1954 Dodge!

Pat Boone and Patsy Cline do too!  (I am dating myself)

Who???  :lol:

Didn't they tour with the who?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Q
  • Like 1