Front Shocks for 1938 Dodge

1949 Wraith

I have the original style leaf springs and shocks on the front and rear of my 1938 Dodge sedan. I would like to calm some of the buggy effect on the front suspension if I can and I was wondering if a more modern shock on the front would help?

Next part is there something modern that might fit? As the shocks have eyes for shaft mounts on each end. They are about 17.5 inches long from the center of the mounts, while mounted and weight of car is on them.

If anyone has been down this route and had any success? 

Edited by 1949 Goat

I was able to source Monroe shocks to fit the application.  Part # 33095, 21.5 inches extended and 13.5 compressed so about 4 inches travel either way for my resting suspension.

Monroe #5959 are the same size with the higher end gas and #3095 are the hydraulic only units.

You need to press the shaft and bushings from the shocks and use the original car bushes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I have the new style shocks and have not pushed out the bushings in the new shocks. Keep them in and just bolt them up to the assembly and yu will be good to go.

Rich Hartung

Do you have make and part #? The shocks I got, the bushings were too small to go over the mounting shafts.