Body mounts? What to use and what size, length bolts?

Mikefaster

Just wondering if anyone has a "comparable" body mount bushing that I could use and the exact size, (length and thread) of the bolts for my 1951 DeSoto...

One body mount setup on one website is $9.00 for the pair (top and bottom)... How many should I have? Seems to be at least 14... Not thrilled at that price. 

Figured that there has to be an alternative... I don't care about originality...

Thanks in advance...

As you can see, I have some issues with metal work and if I got to take off at least 8 of these, then I might as well change them...

image000001_07.jpg

image000000_10.jpg

image000002_06.jpg

image000005_04.jpg

image000006_03.jpg

Mike,

I’ve used shock absorber rubber bushings on several cars, with no problems. When I was in undergrad school, at the body shop I worked at, we used them all the time on restoration projects, as finding suitable originals wasn’t all that easy (pre-internet, pre-hotrod-parts-catalogues), all we had was the yellow pages. As for nuts and bolts, we just used grade-8 bolts that we obtained at the local Caterpillar construction equipment dealership nearby.

• Like 1

while it may be a bit of money but the complete set of bushings are on e-bay now.......sorry dude but it all comes down to pay to play and for most folks selling singles..they are sold by some folks at approx 9.00 a pair...less inserts and bolts...pay close attention to the book when snugging..special instructions are within

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Sorry all... I never got email notification that anyone responded...

I found these which seem to be a fair price... I'll see about using a sleeve when I see these in person... I'll need 2 sets undoubtedly... I'll just buy new bolts and washers at Ace. I don't care about originality, so whatever works for as cheap as possible... I'm not taking off the frame but I see what you're saying but it's really in better shape than it seems. I'll be replacing probably most or all of the inner rockers and the supports... Do you mind telling me what gauge metal you used to weld up that body mount Support you had made jhm1mc13?

And I have another support that's totally disconnected... All in all, at least 6 of 7 should be replaced... Tomorrow I'm cutting out the floor under the rear seat as well because that's where I need to "get" at the rear body mount supports. The metal is pretty thin anyway but not exactly sure how to go about fabricating it...

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/261204851743

image000004_05.jpg

image000003_06.jpg

image000002_07.jpg

image000001_08.jpg

image000000_11.jpg

image000005_05.jpg

image000006_03.jpg

But other than the floor and affected areas, the rust is just heavy scale that I'll need a good pressure washer to remove...