P15 dash

scotty t

12 hours ago, greg g said:

Some where on this forum the brown color used on the dash, steering column and steering wheel was called out by name. Krylon has a color which is very close called Kona brown.  I used Ace Hardware rust X seal brown on my Studebaker truck steeringwheel and it is very close also.  It seems a lot of manufacturers used shades of brown on these parts groups.  And yes the under dash panel for heater fan, cigar lighter and ign switch on the Deluxe is wood grained like the sappele pattern of the main dash. The color on the deluxe is light brown, I have seen special deluxe where it looks gray to me. Another little color accent I found is one the Deluxe horn button, the Mayflower insignia is highlited with orange paint what I thought was a black highlight turned. out to be dirt, cleaning with a detailers brush and general purpose cleaner revealed the orange.  The deluxe also has an enameled (cloisonné) Mayflower emblem not seen on Special deluxe trimmed cars.

The factory color is called 'Vogue Brown'

On 5/30/2017 at 9:11 AM, P15-D24 said:

Pretty sure the dark stripe is also a woodgrain. I have to dig around in my reference info to get the wood type.  

Correction, according to my POC judging reference info it is only paint.

"Steering wheel column, handbrake and cowl vent handle along with center of dash was Vogue Brown. This brown has an ultra fine gold metallic mist mixed into it, and extremely hard to duplicate."

20 hours ago, greg g said:

Some where on this forum the brown color used on the dash, steering column and steering wheel was called out by name. Krylon has a color which is very close called Kona brown.  I used Ace Hardware rust X seal brown on my Studebaker truck steeringwheel and it is very close also.  It seems a lot of manufacturers used shades of brown on these parts groups.  And yes the under dash panel for heater fan, cigar lighter and ign switch on the Deluxe is wood grained like the sappele pattern of the main dash. The color on the deluxe is light brown, I have seen special deluxe where it looks gray to me. Another little color accent I found is one the Deluxe horn button, the Mayflower insignia is highlited with orange paint what I thought was a black highlight turned. out to be dirt, cleaning with a detailers brush and general purpose cleaner revealed the orange.  The deluxe also has an enameled (cloisonné) Mayflower emblem not seen on Special deluxe trimmed cars.

Post a picture Greg.......Don't you have the base dash without all that extra chrome, etc.? I think the plain dash looks very sharp next to well optioned one.

• Like 1

Actually Kona brown is more the color of milk chocolate where the factory color is the color of dark chocolate, although I like both. Greg, would you be able to provide a picture of the Deluxe steering wheel and horn button?

Does anyone have a paint sample or mixture specification for the original Vogue Brown?

Can't recall exactly where I read it, but I'm pretty sure the woodgrain is referred to as "Sapele", and the The name of the brown insert it was "Cordovan" Brown.