P15 dash

scotty t

on an original P15 dash what is the dark strip across the middle, is it just dark brown or some type of wood grain? i cant tell by looking at mine, its not clear in the pics on line either. also is there a name for the grain/color on the upper and lower dash?

The dash is woodgrained, matched by the window frames.  That strip across the glove box is medium/dark brown....not a

woodgrain.  I don't know the official name for the grain, but it is a decal.   Hopefully others can give you more detail

on this.       On a convertible, the dash and window frames match the exterior.......no woodgrain used.      

Image result for picture of a 1947 plymouth dashboard

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P15-D24 said:

Pretty sure the dark stripe is also a woodgrain. I have to dig around in my reference info to get the wood type.  

if you get a chance to look it up we can post a pic here for future reference.

12 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

The dash is woodgrained, matched by the window frames.  That strip across the glove box is medium/dark brown....not a

woodgrain.  I don't know the official name for the grain, but it is a decal.   Hopefully others can give you more detail

on this.       On a convertible, the dash and window frames match the exterior.......no woodgrain used.      

Image result for picture of a 1947 plymouth dashboard

that's a real nice looking dash you've got there.

right now i'm just searching for info and ideas for my Plymouth project. I've got a spare dash and i want to try my hand at DIY hydro-dipping. the actual film is fairly cheap so i thought i would practice on a bunch of spare parts.If i can locate a film that's fairly close i'll do the spare dash and have a cool wall hanging or something to offer to the members here. So, if we can identify what the brown strip is/was we can include that info  here, and if i find a film that matches closely I'll post that here as well.

Thanks.

Please feel free to add anything of value to this thread.

my slow project----> http://p15-d24.com/topic/31920-not-for-the-purists/

Edited by scotty t

17 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Bob's description is correct.
Woodgrain to dash and window garnish moldings but the strip across the center is dark brown.
On Deluxe cars, I believe the switch panel under the dash is also woodgrained. This is chrome on Special Deluxe.
Here's a 1946 ad with a good reference illustration, and a couple of pictures of the dash in a low-mileage unrestored car

Plymouth 1946 Advertisement.jpg

P96.JPG

P97.JPG

• Like 1

I have to say that I think that the original dash, when coupled with the window garnish mouldings, look great!!! we tho’t about putting our dash/mouldings back to that finish (they were black, like the car), but we just couldn’t justify the cost. So, I repainted the dash, mouldings, steering wheel, steering column, shift lever, parking brake handle, and cowl vent arm, in a grey to blend with the interior. I was going to redo the knobs in a lighter grey, but we decided that we liked the contrast of the ivory knobs. As for the dark brown ‘stripe’, each portion of it was already covered with thin formed marble. Yep, the real stuff. How they shaped it, and made the hole for the starter button without it breaking, is a mystery. I’m assuming each piece is just held in place with some type of adhesive, but it looks so good, and it’s so different, I ain’t gonna mess with it for fear of forever ruining it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Niel Hoback said:

Scotty, have you forgotten there is a p-15 on your way to and from work?  143 Rush Ct. Hobart. Its in the driveway. Admission free.

i really should stop by when i get over my case of pneumonia. i need to see what a p15 is supposed to look like. how have you been Niel?

Neil,

I wish I could provide a photo, but I’m electronically challenged (bluntly put—I honestly don’t know how to do that).

As for the RC repair, I don’t want to rain on any parades here, but don’t expect to regain full ROM. If you expect 80-90% ROM, than you’re on track. Take the PT in a relaxed pace, and remember—no pain doesn’t equal no gain. Best regards . . .

20 minutes ago, Niel Hoback said:

Getting over shoulder surgery to re-attach the old rotator cuff, but it sounds like I'm doing better than you!  Bring your camera and take lots of pictures.  Give me a call and I'll take the cover off. I'm in the book.

thanks

Wonder why they didnt have wood grain on the convertibles  ?

49 minutes ago, dale said:

Wonder why they didnt have wood grain on the convertibles  ?

The convertible dash is welded in.
Woodies have the same cowl and windshield construction as the convertible, so i would guess those also have a body-color dash.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Robin (UK) said:

The convertible dash is welded in.
Woodies have the same cowl and windshield construction as the convertible, so i would guess those also have a body-color dash.

Actually my dash is painted a tannish-brown color. The other original '39, '40, and '41 woodies that I've seen also have a solid color – different from the body color.

593042bdf075d_IMG_0510(1).jpg.f2abd353747829ef88f9941c385f51f0.jpg

In the late 30s and early 40s wagons were considered utilitarian vehicles and they really didn't try to make them look attractive. Blond wood with beige body and fenders and a tan top. Inside bracketry was a baby-yellow.

ply4384_edited.jpg.2cfb87ed784a8044988e660d40886eba.jpg

I decided to go a different route and highlight the streamline moderne aspects of the craftsmanship by powdercoating all brackets, fenders, and metal bits, a color called "statuary bronze". Gives it a bit of a steampunk look I think.

IMG_0764.JPG.c851898a736d6f327fbc29e6f5147bef.JPG

I also ditched the beige theme and went with a black cobra-grain vinyl roof, Brewster green (a GM truck color from the 40s) for the body and contrasting mahogany insert panels for the doors. I also added whitewalls which were probably never found on work vehicles very frequently, unless they were a shuttle service for a fancy resort. 

593045995d875_FullSizeRender7.jpg.43ca1694f42305092c3853fafe3987bf.jpg

• Like 4

I think the type of decal used on the P15s is called "Di Noc".......possibly made by 3M company.

I think it is water based as opposed to self adhesive....just like decals of old.  

In past years, there were some pretty detailed descriptions on here of how various guys created woodgraining

on their dash and windowframes.   It's kind of like that process of "antique=ing" for furniture.  

29 minutes ago, BobT-47P15 said:

I think the type of decal used on the P15s is called "Di Noc".......possibly made by 3M company.

I think it is water based as opposed to self adhesive....just like decals of old.  

In past years, there were some pretty detailed descriptions on here of how various guys created woodgraining

on their dash and windowframes.   It's kind of like that process of "antique=ing" for furniture.  

with the "hydro dipping" process, you have a very wide variety to choose from, From very close to stock to about anything you can think of. it's not real cheap to have it done, but you can buy all the supplies on line. i believe it takes a lot less skill than hand painting it.

Some where on this forum the brown color used on the dash, steering column and steering wheel was called out by name. Krylon has a color which is very close called Kona brown.  I used Ace Hardware rust X seal brown on my Studebaker truck steeringwheel and it is very close also.  It seems a lot of manufacturers used shades of brown on these parts groups.  And yes the under dash panel for heater fan, cigar lighter and ign switch on the Deluxe is wood grained like the sappele pattern of the main dash. The color on the deluxe is light brown, I have seen special deluxe where it looks gray to me. Another little color accent I found is one the Deluxe horn button, the Mayflower insignia is highlited with orange paint what I thought was a black highlight turned. out to be dirt, cleaning with a detailers brush and general purpose cleaner revealed the orange.  The deluxe also has an enameled (cloisonné) Mayflower emblem not seen on Special deluxe trimmed cars.