Full Flow Oil Filter??

I'm trying to figure out if my setup is a full flow setup or not.

The engine block is a 251 from an early 60's Power Wagon.  It has the diamond shape on the left side, indicating it can be fitted with a full flow filter setup.  The guy who sold it to me said the same thing, but he said that the filter on it currently is a partial flow filter.  I took off the filter lid and had a look at the element inside.  The filter number is a Hastings LF130, which a Google search says is a full flow filter element.

Doing a search on this forum, I see info indicating that full flow filter housings contain a valve of sorts, but I don't see anything that looks obviously like a valve in my housing.  Also, the lines leading to and from the unit seem small for a full-flow setup.  I wonder if someone just put a full-flow element inside a partial flow housing?

Can you all take a look at the attached pics and see what you think?

Thanks.

Oil Fiter Pic 1.jpg

Oil Fiter Pic 2.jpg

Oil Fiter Pic 3.jpg

Oil Fiter Pic 4.jpg

• Like 1

My old friend out west modifies his oil pump/s to take hoses for an inlet and outlet which run to a remote oil filter. He has done this on all of his MOPAR's (46 Dodge truck, 55 Dodge sedan, and 56 DeSoto ute).

Ians oil 1.JPG

Ians oil 2.JPG

• Like 1

Good info, guys.  I knew my filter didn't look like the factory filter that Don shows in his photos, but I had hoped maybe it was some other kind of full-flow filter, but it sounds like it's not.

Here are a couple of shots of my engine, in the area where the filter goes.  It was removed from and sitting off to the side when I got the engine, but you can see the fittings where it was presumably attached. It's a little hard to see, but there's one brass fitting at the top of the diamond, and one below the diamond.  The opening just above the bottom of the diamond has a plug in it.  That arrangement doesn't seem to match the locations in Don's sketch, so probably further confirmation that it's not a full-flow filter.

In Don's sketch, it shows a plug that has to be installed to force all the oil through the full-flow filter.  Presumably this is not in my engine currently, since it has the bypass filter, correct?  I can't look at the engine right now, because it's at the machine shop.  I may go by there tomorrow, and if I do, I'll try to remember to look at that.  Also attached are a couple of pictures of a rod that goes into an oil passage from the bottom of the engine.  I don't think that's the plug in Don's sketch, as I don't think it goes up far enough into the block, but I figured I'd show it just in case it is.

Desotodav, do you know what filter brand and model your friend uses?  I would like to get a remote filter like that, except of course, I'll use the passages at the diamond spot, rather than modifying the pump location.  Since that filter probably has all the valves needed to make the full-flow filter work, I wonder if it will work well with the existing full-flow valving in my block.

Better yet, I wouldn't mind finding a factory full-flow filter, but I hear those are hard to come by.  I don't even know if the elements are available.  Don, do you have difficulty in finding the elements?

Thanks again.

Oil Filter Mount Pad Pic 2.jpg

Oil Filter Mount Pad Pic 1.jpg

Oil Passage Plug Pic 1.jpg

Oil Passage Plug Pic 3.jpg

Oil Passage Plug Pic 2.jpg

Edited by Matt Wilson

The OE aluminum six cylinder housing is a two bolt housing not four. Four bolts is for 1951-54 Hemi.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The OE aluminum six cylinder housing is a two bolt housing not four. Four bolts is for 1951-54 Hemi.

thanks for clarifying that

The Hemi four bolt housings are always seen on Ebay.......Two bolts are not nearly as common:)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

A few years ago I bought a filter assembly from a junk yard somewhere out West. When it arrived in the mail it was still full of oil.

rs1.jpg

Probably could have shaved a pound off the shipping cost by draining that sludge!

4 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Probably could have shaved a pound off the shipping cost by draining that sludge!

But then they most likely have charged extra for the oil(?)!  :rolleyes:

DJ

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Don, is that filter housing made of aluminum?  It looks like it.  I plan to start calling salvage yards and other places, and if it's aluminum, then that may be a helpful clue when describing it to them.  And of course, I'll tell them I need the 2-bolt version, not the 4-bolt version.  

Does anyone have part numbers for these filter housings?

Thanks.

I need to look - I might have a 2-bolt full flow filter setup that I'm not planning on using. I'm still going to use the full flow filtering, but I have a modern filter element that is hidden in an old "style" beehive type filter housing.

On 29/05/2017 at 4:19 PM, Matt Wilson said:

I'm trying to figure out if my setup is a full flow setup or not.

The engine block is a 251 from an early 60's Power Wagon.  It has the diamond shape on the left side, indicating it can be fitted with a full flow filter setup.  The guy who sold it to me said the same thing, but he said that the filter on it currently is a partial flow filter.  I took off the filter lid and had a look at the element inside.  The filter number is a Hastings LF130, which a Google search says is a full flow filter element.

Doing a search on this forum, I see info indicating that full flow filter housings contain a valve of sorts, but I don't see anything that looks obviously like a valve in my housing.  Also, the lines leading to and from the unit seem small for a full-flow setup.  I wonder if someone just put a full-flow element inside a partial flow housing?

Can you all take a look at the attached pics and see what you think?

Thanks.

Oil Fiter Pic 1.jpg

Oil Fiter Pic 2.jpg

Oil Fiter Pic 3.jpg

Oil Fiter Pic 4.jpg

21.junho.17 ii 004.jpg

21.junho.17 ii 005.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, Desotodav said:

My old friend out west modifies his oil pump/s to take hoses for an inlet and outlet which run to a remote oil filter. He has done this on all of his MOPAR's (46 Dodge truck, 55 Dodge sedan, and 56 DeSoto ute).

Ians oil 1.JPG

Ians oil 2.JPG

Do you have any more information on this particular modification?

James.