Art Deco vehicles

pflaming

Studebakers are fine automobiles.. IMO the Raymond Loewy designed Commander is one of the best looking cars ever built and is another example of a great car I once owned and foolishly let get away. I wish I'd learned earlier what seems so obvious to me now, profit isn't everything..

32 minutes ago, greg g said:

37 was the last year for the Dictator name, became the Commander in 38, then top of the line Studies became Presidents.  Can't forget the utility version

5584.jpg

I once saw a restored 35-36 Studebaker 2 ton flatbed truck at Charlotte,and the damn thing looked like it was going 100 MPH while it was parked,

Plus with their reputation for reliability,it's a wonder to me they didn't outsell everybody.

The mid-30's Hudson pu's were things of beauty,too.

9 minutes ago, greg g said:

Hudson

c7ea1290fc961706864f98d658997fad.jpg

I stored one of these Hudson trucks in my barn for awhile as the owner did a few repairs.  He quickly found himself well over his head and moved to vehicle to a new owner which was all in all the right decision.  Today that truck is gorgeous if you are one to apply such term to a hunk of metal..the new owners did the vehicle justice.

4 hours ago, greg g said:

37 was the last year for the Dictator name, became the Commander in 38, then top of the line Studies became Presidents.  Can't forget the utility version

5584.jpg

I'm betting if GM,Ford,or Dodge decided to build a new series of half-ton 2wd "commuter pu's" styled like the Stude above,they wouldn't be able to make enough to keep up with the demand.

Of course,today they would have be crew cabs or extended cabs,and that would screw some with the styling,

I can tell you this,unless they only came in V-6,I'd be down at the dealership the day they announced trying to put a down payment on one.

Edited by knuckleharley

17 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I can tell you this,unless they only came in V-6,I'd be down at the dealership the day they announced trying to put a down payment on one.

why shoot yourself in the foot....V6 engines of today are very capable....the entry level 3.6 Pentastar is 283 ponies in routine deployment (mini van)...305 ponies in the Challenger......there are other work horse units out there by every  major auto maker coming and going.  The Ford twin turbo V6 in their pickup line is nothing to sneeze at either having utilized one to pull vehicles on my huge trailer on out of state pickup and delivery runs.  I would have no qualms at all with the retro style truck in 1/2 ton with a V6 option for on the road use. 

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

why shoot yourself in the foot....V6 engines of today are very capable....the entry level 3.6 Pentastar is 283 ponies in routine deployment (mini van)...305 ponies in the Challenger......there are other work horse units out there by every  major auto maker coming and going.  The Ford twin turbo V6 in their pickup line is nothing to sneeze at either having utilized one to pull vehicles on my huge trailer on out of state pickup and delivery runs.  I would have no qualms at all with the retro style truck in 1/2 ton with a V6 option for on the road use. 

I couldn't care less. I can live with a V-6 in a car. Had one in my VW Passat,and it was a screamer.

NOT in another truck,though. Had two trucks with V-6's and hated them both. One was a 90's Ford Ranger,and the other was a 2015 GMC Canyon. Yeah,they have V-8 power,but they also have V-8 gas mileage and no torque. I swapped my2wd  2015 Canyn in for a 2016 Silverado crewcab 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 V-8 and it feels like I have twice as much torque and even with going from a 2wd compact truck to a 4x4 full sized truck with a V-8,the Canyon only got 2 more MPG in highway driving.

I have to cross a bridge every day to go check my mail,and I could hit the botttom or the arched bridge running 60 MPH with nothing but me in the Canyon,and the damn thing would come out of OD before it got to the top of the bridge. I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be to try to pull a car trailer with it.

No such problems with my Silverado 1500,and I could probably pull the Silverado and a loaded car trailer up that bridge with my 06 GMC 2500 4X4 LBZ Duramax. That thing is a monster. 365 HP  and 665 ft.lbs of torque at low rpms,where you need it.  I keep buying newer trucks to find a replacement for the 06,but it just ain't happening. Already decided to sell the 2016 Silverado in 2 years and just keep the 06 diesel. Never owned a truck that felt so solid on the road,and that pulled like it does. Headed back east from Minot,ND 4 or 5 years ago weighing right at 19,900 lbs. Set the cruise control and just let it eat. Never even came out of OD until I hit the 7 degree grades in Kentucky.

Not only that,but it has a AC in it that will give you a chill while riding through Houston,Tx in August.

Edited by knuckleharley

A 1935 Chrysler CW Airflow

It speaks Art Deco....

CW Nearly Finished (4).JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Studebakers are fine automobiles.. IMO the Raymond Loewy designed Commander is one of the best looking cars ever built and is another example of a great car I once owned and foolishly let get away. I wish I'd learned earlier what seems so obvious to me now, profit isn't everything..

100_0358.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5H7yJe5xj1Ggbi0hZjbffJ0eQdiq-hWdFgRSeF6VWeVTlVl_0

• Like 1

Art Deco Beer Delivery

I have been on this truck and it is stunning.

"Labatts Streamliners were a unique sight in Canada from 1932 to 1955. The tractor chassis was produced by White Motor Company and the trailer chassis by Freuhauf. Designed by Count Alexis De Sakhnoffsky, the bodies were crafted by Smith Bros. Body Works in Toronto. Joe Scott together with his brother Bob of London Ontario took up the arduous task of restoring this famous streamliner for the Labatt Brewing Company and their skill along with 7 years of dedication to the minute detail have seen this beautiful legend return to mint condition."

Deco Labatt Truck 001.jpg

Edited by Roadkingcoupe
more info...
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

100_0358.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5H7yJe5xj1Ggbi0hZjbffJ0eQdiq-hWdFgRSeF6VWeVTlVl_0