Art Deco vehicles

pflaming

Yeah, I seem to recall him hand sanding carefully through several layers of paint with fine grit sandpaper to get to the look he liked, then roughing it up. But that is what is great about America-you don't have to be like everyone else. Continue doing what you want Paul!

15 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Maybe it's just me,but 10 grand for a orphan car sedan from the 30's that is going to need another 20 grand in labor and parts thrown into it to make it nice doesn't sound too "motivated" to me.

Exactly what I was thinking. At that price there is very little motivation to sell. It would be a shame to see it done as a rat rod but that is its likely fate.

8 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I will be in his area in a day or two, I will see how motivated he is. Any informal "offers"?  PM me of any.

I can't make a offer for my friend in ND with the museum,but I am positive without even asking him that the 9600 figure is out of the question. Especially since he would have to go from ND to the east coast to pick it up. He is into orphan stuff and has Packards,Studebakers,a 28 Plymouth he drives,AMC stuff like  a Pacer,and Hudsons. Has a really nice jet black 51 Comodorre 4dr with the straight 8 he keeps trying to trade me for my 31 Plymouth coupe because he knows I love 49-51 Hudsons,but I live up a dirt road and won't be buying any black cars.

Tell the guy you can probably help him move it if he comes up with a reasonable price,and once the guy gives his bottom number,I'll pass it on.

• Like 1

We have strayed some from Art Deco styled cars, which is fun and ok, but I'm liking what I'm seeing. That Caddy will be a looker! Most were sedans, don't recall seeing too many fleetline Caddy coupes. 

12 minutes ago, pflaming said:

We have strayed some from Art Deco styled cars, which is fun and ok, but I'm liking what I'm seeing. That Caddy will be a looker! Most were sedans, don't recall seeing too many fleetline Caddy coupes. 

Maybe,but I'm thinking that fleeline is looking pretty damn "fleetline",and it's no big stretch to call that art deco. After all,isn't "smooth and flowing" what art deco is all about?

• Like 1

Car for sale at 10k on post #38? Then this 1940 Chrysler C26 New Yorker would be a good buy at 2500.00. OD trans go for 1000k or better. and it has a 1948 flat 8 that customer said was rebuilt. Can not verify. Rebuilt starter with solenoid goes for 500.00. Has new radiator. New radiator for these cars goes for around 1500.00. 

1940 Chrysler New Yorker C26 (1).jpg

1940 Chrysler New Yorker C26 (5).jpeg

1940 Chrysler New Yorker C26 (7).jpg

• Like 1

I fully agree on the sleek look of the fleet line and fastback designs as carryovers from Art Deco styling. Here is one I like.

CT, I like your car. I would like a straight eight in my '39 but will keep it as is. 

IMG_7943.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Car for sale at 10k on post #38? Then this 1940 Chrysler C26 New Yorker would be a good buy at 2500.00. OD trans go for 1000k or better. and it has a 1948 flat 8 that customer said was rebuilt. Can not verify. Rebuilt starter with solenoid goes for 500.00. Has new radiator. New radiator for these cars goes for around 1500.00. 

1940 Chrysler New Yorker C26 (1).jpg

1940 Chrysler New Yorker C26 (5).jpeg

1940 Chrysler New Yorker C26 (7).jpg

Uhhhh,and just exactly where would that ugly-ass old car that nobody could possibly want be located,and the how can the owner be contacted?

42 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I fully agree on the sleek look of the fleet line and fastback designs as carryovers from Art Deco styling. Here is one I like.

CT, I like your car. I would like a straight eight in my '39 but will keep it as is. 

IMG_7943.JPG

Obviously a VERY well-done chop,but what did it start life as?

44 minutes ago, pflaming said:

IMG_7943.JPG

BTW,is there anybody here who doesn't think the car in the photo above would serve perfectly as a new 2018 Volvo,and sell like hotcakes?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pflaming said:

If memory serves me correct, it is a 38 Packard. 

I would have never guessed. I was thinking maybe it was a 46-48 Chevy with a late 30's front clip.

What ever it is,it sure is purty!

15 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

BTW,is there anybody here who doesn't think the car in the photo above would serve perfectly as a new 2018 Volvo,and sell like hotcakes?

As an owner of a Volvo PV544 and the simplistic design that it is, the car above would be better described as an ice cream bar left in the sun if comparing them side by side. Not saying the car is bad or tasteless, even melted ice cream has flavor...

" . . . the car above would be better described as an ice cream bar left in the sun if comparing them side by side."

Written like a true red neck. Would mud flaps and a pair of coons tails on twin rear antennas help? Inquiring minds want to know. Hey give me some credit for appreciating a good paint job!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pflaming said:

" . . . the car above would be better described as an ice cream bar left in the sun if comparing them side by side."

Written like a true red neck. Would mud flaps and a pair of coons tails on twin rear antennas help? Inquiring minds want to know. Hey give me some credit for appreciating a good paint job!!!

it is funny that a so called redneck would know that an ice cream left in the sun is "smooth and flowing" and as you obviously over read the part of comparing it to the PV544 Volvo   sorry you grew up not experiencing an ice cream on a hot day..:lol:

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Uhhhh,and just exactly where would that ugly-ass old car that nobody could possibly want be located,and the how can the owner be contacted?

Sonora CA

209-613-1199

dave@dodgecityvintage.com

Edited by countrytravler

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

As an owner of a Volvo PV544 and the simplistic design that it is, the car above would be better described as an ice cream bar left in the sun if comparing them side by side. Not saying the car is bad or tasteless, even melted ice cream has flavor...

Well.........,some people would say a melted PV544 was an update on a classic design,and love it.

3 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Sonora CA

209-613-1199

dave@dodgecityvintage.com

California,with me sitting about a mile from the Atlantic.

I surely don't need another project,but if I were within a 12 hour drive,that car would be mine tomorrow.

• Like 1

California, with me sitting about a mile from the Atlantic.

I surely don't need another project, 12 hour but if I were wi12-hourdrive,that car would be mine tomorrow.

3600.00 delivered.

I have no idea why it has taken me this long to remember my 39 IHC pu and post photos of it on this thread,but here it is. For those of you who don't know,this was the D-2 Model produced from 1937 to 1940. They made them in every class from haf-ton like mine,to 3 ton farm trucks. Maybe even bigger trucks for all I know.

5938949dedd75_LFront.jpg.32a63a57d7b83bc40bf9d5f3eacc9e6e.jpg593894bee527f_LRear.jpg.5c7f6afeb02bd1b271905030b97a5321.jpg

I wish I had a photo of the front so you could see the grille better,but I don't.

2 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

California, with me sitting about a mile from the Atlantic.

I surely don't need another project, 12 hour but if I were wi12-hourdrive,that car would be mine tomorrow.

3600.00 delivered.

Who is that quote from? Is the 3600 for the car including the delivery?