Art Deco vehicles

pflaming

4 hours ago, countrytravler said:

1939 Airflow

1939 Dodge Airflow (2).jpg

I know the guy that restored that one.  Or one exactly like it.  Fairly young guy that used to live in western NC,and now lives in western VA. He only works on Mopars,and tries to specialize in the 33-34 ones

He also has a 2.5 ton ramp truck for hauling that has a 34 Dodge big truck body with the rear section of a 33-34 sedan welded to it to make a sleeper cab.. It sits on a IHC school bus chassis,and has a Cummings diesel and 6 speed.

5 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I know the guy that restored that one.  Or one exactly like it.  Fairly young guy that used to live in western NC,and now lives in western VA. He only works on Mopars,and tries to specialize in the 33-34 ones

He also has a 2.5 ton ramp truck for hauling that has a 34 Dodge big truck body with the rear section of a 33-34 sedan welded to it to make a sleeper cab.. It sits on a IHC school bus chassis,and has a Cummings diesel and 6 speed.

This is not the truck that Charlie restored. This is in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI. His is in the Chrysler museum Auburn Hills MI.

4 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

This is not the truck that Charlie restored. This is in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI. His is in the Chrysler museum Auburn Hills MI.

Ok,thanks for the correction. I do remember him saying it was for the Chrysler Museum,but didn't know where the one in your photo is located.

I'm thinking there probably aren't very many of these things left anywhere.

I was fortunate to find my 36 Desoto for sale a couple of years ago....

594ee2e6c0e7b_1936DeSotoS1AirsteamCustomCoupe.JPG.7a64ad87f467b1c55ec9e14903854307.JPG

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, T120 said:

I was fortunate to find my 36 Desoto for sale a couple of years ago....

594ee2e6c0e7b_1936DeSotoS1AirsteamCustomCoupe.JPG.7a64ad87f467b1c55ec9e14903854307.JPG

You were lucky if you found it in that condition,and fortunate if  you could afford it.

What is the model number? Is it a 6,or a 8?

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

You were lucky if you found it in that condition,and fortunate if  you could afford it.

What is the model number? Is it a 6,or a 8?

This is a Desoto S1 Custom coupe (6 cylinder Airstream). I do have some history of the car. Originally from Saskatchewan, it was purchased by a collector in BC in the early 70's who began the restoration but was unable to complete it due to ill health. The car was completed by the previous owner and he did a very good job of assembly and finishing. While the car is not perfect, it is in very good and mostly original condition. I've done some work to improve the DeSoto since I've had it, (are they ever really finished to our satisfaction?)  It is somewhat rare and I was very pleased to be in a position to buy it when it came up for sale  - even my wife liked the car.:) 

Edited by T120

1 hour ago, T120 said:

even my wife liked the car.:) 

That's worth bonus points,I don't care who you are.

• Like 4