Art Deco vehicles

pflaming

Why someone would put a V8 engine in a 57 year old car boggles my mind. It is a beautiful car, but I wonder what the sale price would be if the original engine and an original color were in/on that car?  That the late 30's styling was Art Deco was new to me a month ago. I like every one I see. 

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Why someone would put a V8 engine in a 57 year old car boggles my mind. It is a beautiful car, but I wonder what the sale price would be if the original engine and an original color were in/on that car?  That the late 30's styling was Art Deco was new to me a month ago. I like every one I see. 

I love most of the art deco styling. Here are two shots of my 38 Ford "Standard" tudor sedan. This car is absolutely dead stock and original in every respect other than the primer paint. That's right. It's not lowered and those are the stock 16 inch wheels and hubcaps on it.

I posted it before,but the photos never showed up or they were deleted. I'll try again.

Front.jpg.4831b017b208718a56c3337cc4d964cd.jpg59300928a0c8f_LeftSide.jpg.0e64a76e2f319e3e42fa0fa1a9e62ce1.jpg

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 2

Paulf..........you asked why someone would put a V8 in that 1940 Chrysler.......easy.........because they probably wanted to..........I put the Poly in my 1940 dodge in 1973 because I was PO'd with paying so called mechanics to rebuild things for me and them not doing a proper job and I thought that I couldn't do a worse job..........I pulled the V8 engine out after about 12mths, got it reconditioned and then assembled it myself...musta done something right as its still going o/k after 43 ys........ but its our cars and our choices.........lol........BTW, Knuckle..my 1st car was a 1938 Ford Standard 4dr sedan....had it about 6mths, realised that it had too much rust so sold it and looked for a coupe or roadster like all good budding hotrodders should have...........the 1st one I found was a 1940 Dodge Coupe..........and I haven't recovered since............lol...........regards, andyd  

Edited by Andydodge

Andy, I understand, they are their cars and I don't fret about it.  For me, the old vehicles are pieces of movable history and I thoroughly enjoy the conversations that start as a result. Maybe my age, born in 1938, is part of my attraction. All have been pleasantly surprised to see the flathead six and never ask why not a V8. The same has been about the exterior, haven't had one person suggest I paint the truck. Now, back to Art Deco. 

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_6920.JPG

• Like 1

Paul, all good.........I do like the truck but being a shiney paint guy I'd treat it to a repaint, it would be so pleased.....lol.........BTW have you seen DeSotoDavs Fargo truck?...he posts in the Pilothouse side mostly and has about half a dozen Pilothouses of various years incl an award winning restored Fargo...........yours looks very solid and usuable.........regards, andyd 

:lol:

Paul has done at a  great at hiding all the still burnt more hidden parts!

Well he is not hiding the outside, but??

Not sure if I would ride in it!

Not sure if the outside would look better with a spray (rattle can) paint job or not?

Paul I am completely pulling your leg! Sorry if I pulled the wrong one? ^_^

DJ

• Like 1

5932f55eca3c4_34Cord.jpg.267f915c50838755602a393e25bc6ed4.jpg  

When it come to art deco automotive beauty,it's awful hard to beat the 1934 Cord. As for being futuristic,they even had front wheel drive and superchargers. Also,notice the flip up headlights.

if you want to buy one today you had better have a VERY long checkbook so you have the room to write all those little zeroes. They ain't cheap.

IIRC,some of the 42 Mopars had flip up headlights,too. Was it the DeSotos?

Edited by knuckleharley

Art Deco era cars have their place in time and even in the not so distant past it continued......just as the Atomic era, the Jetage and the Spaceage era...personally the couple years before end of Jetage and the fewer years that was the Spaceage cars are styles clearly set apart in the industry and remain as some of my favorites. Todays slimstream cars are so bland and look-alike and fade into the background like the very smoke that etched thier design...there is little that sets them apart across the industry except maybe a different size engine thrown in or a radical paint combination.  I want to know who was the idiot that said fat fenders ended in 1948, clearly that man needes glasses....or.......should have put down the shot glass sooner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

Saw in Maine today.

IMG_9062.JPG

what does the sign hanging from the rear view mirror say?

7 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

1936 Hudson.  Car is for sale.  It's been sitting "unmolested" at a hotrod shop downstate, don't remember exactly where, it's on US-1 fairly close to where Paul's son lives.  I've driven past it quite a few times the two years I've been here, on my way back from Portland.  This'll be the first time I've seen it out in the yard, vs. under cover of the building behind it.  It's one of those "rat rod" shops, probably couldn't get anyone to commit to it.  Our Terraplane is virtually the same, but it doesn't need any parts, so I haven't looked at this car very closely.  I can of someone is interested, but it'll take a week or two. 

11 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

1936 Hudson.  Car is for sale.  It's been sitting "unmolested" at a hotrod shop downstate, don't remember exactly where, it's on US-1 fairly close to where Paul's son lives.  I've driven past it quite a few times the two years I've been here, on my way back from Portland.  This'll be the first time I've seen it out in the yard, vs. under cover of the building behind it.  It's one of those "rat rod" shops, probably couldn't get anyone to commit to it.  Our Terraplane is virtually the same, but it doesn't need any parts, so I haven't looked at this car very closely.  I can of someone is interested, but it'll take a week or two. 

Thanks. I have a friend in ND that is a big Hudson freak that might be interested in it.

Price on the  window mirror is $9600. Floors are solid, car is complete, looks like it could be "driven " with some small work. They are motivated to sell. Car in Wiscassett, ME.

IMG_9068.JPG

52 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

This car is too nice for Paul?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

This car is too nice for Paul?

Looks too nice for Paul- Not nearly enough patina, No burned off paint and has floors also!     ^_^

DJ

49 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Price on the  window mirror is $9600. Floors are solid, car is complete, looks like it could be "driven " with some small work. They are motivated to sell. Car in Wiscassett, ME.

IMG_9068.JPG

Maybe it's just me,but 10 grand for a orphan car sedan from the 30's that is going to need another 20 grand in labor and parts thrown into it to make it nice doesn't sound too "motivated" to me.

• Like 1

Love those pre and post war era vehicles when styling was at its zenith

just started on our newest project 1947 caddy model 62

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, medium_jon said:

Paul Fleming: why do they give you such a hard time?

Have you seen his truck :) Paul is a firm believer in patina and from the front it looked like it had pretty decent paint. The rear shot actually looks like it's perfect for him. 

• Like 1