Jump to content
Hubler13f

Long Time Lurker Official Car Introduction

Recommended Posts

Hello Folks,

I have been lurking around here for about 2 years searching through info to guide me through some work on this car.  This website has been amazingly helpful, a forum member out of Locust Gap, PA even donated a full front suspension and steering gear to me for the car. I bought this 48 Plymouth P15 Biz Coupe about two years ago, I watched it on Pennswoods Classifieds for about 7 months before finally taking a look and buying it from a guy in Watsontown, PA, who bought it from an older gentleman in either Maryland or Virginia. The exterior looked really good, little did I know all of the gremlins and bad workmanship that laid beneath. Some of which I have griped about on this forum. This year I have really been able to get a lot done though so it is finally road worthy and I look forward to enjoying it and driving it as much as possible.

Heres A few pics.

 

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

20170515_181419.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I got a few more things done this week. The temperature gauge graft went well, the ice and salt mixture wasn't quite cold enough and I caught a whiff of ether when I cut the new gauge tube, after I soldered it on and stuck it in boiling water I realized the gauge wouldn't go above 200 so I went and bought another and stuck in in the deep freeze for an hour before messing with it. This time I got no smells of ether when I cut the tube. I left the capillary and most of the tube in the deep freeze while cutting and soldering the gauge on, I used the top of the deep freeze as my work bench and it came out great, works great and is accurate. 

I also tackled my headliner and package tray the last couple days. The headliner took maybe 3 hours and turned out great. The toughest part was stretching the fabric down far enough in the rear to lock into place with some wire, the metal tabs and spray glue, but I got it. I used fabric paint on the sun visors which were still wrapped in the original upholstery. I don't think they turned out bad at all.

For the package tray I used the crumbling original as a template on some 1/4 OSB board. Then used the Loctite 300 spray glue to attach the carpet and cut around it with a utility knife.

Here are some pics of how it turned out.

 

20170528_185609.jpg

20170528_185635.jpg

20170528_185729.jpg

20170528_185736.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

glad to see its now roadworthy nice job on the headliner wish my 48 was at that point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jhm1mc13 said:

Hubler13f,

Locust Gap caught my attention as I grew up in Mt. Carmel.   I'll be traveling there next week and wondered who is in the Gap?

Jim M

I wish I could remember his name. LOL. I posted a wanted ad that he replied to and it has since been taken down. I cant thank him enough though. I drove down there and he met me and the parts he gave me were nice, I cleaned them up and rebuilt my front end, it gave me a new boost of motivation to get this car done. I know he has a few Mopars of this era, the wife and I are racking our brains and can't remember his name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hubler13f said:

I wish I could remember his name. LOL. I posted a wanted ad that he replied to and it has since been taken down. I cant thank him enough though. I drove down there and he met me and the parts he gave me were nice, I cleaned them up and rebuilt my front end, it gave me a new boost of motivation to get this car done. I know he has a few Mopars of this era, the wife and I are racking our brains and can't remember his name. 

my name is Dan McCarthy and Jim your are more than welcome to stop by when you're in the area I am usually here on the weekends

Edited by halffast52
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see your collection isn't 100% Mopar, this is not allowed and will get you banned from the forums.

Just kidding :)  My dad is super into Pontiacs, he owns two (maybe three? I lose track) 1967 GTO's, concours quality showcars.  One is a Palmetto Green convertible with a 650+ HP fuel-injected 455 cube big block Pontiac.  It is, in a word, ridiculous.  My barn/workshop is chock full of parts he didn't have room for (this happens when you own a big barn - people want to fill it for you)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, Mortimer452 said:

I see your collection isn't 100% Mopar, this is not allowed and will get you banned from the forums.

Just kidding :)  My dad is super into Pontiacs, he owns two (maybe three? I lose track) 1967 GTO's, concours quality showcars.  One is a Palmetto Green convertible with a 650+ HP fuel-injected 455 cube big block Pontiac.  It is, in a word, ridiculous.  My barn/workshop is chock full of parts he didn't have room for (this happens when you own a big barn - people want to fill it for you)

This is actually my first Mopar, I have owned a pile of cars since I was 11, yes 11 I used to cut about a dozen lawns a week and I bought my first car an 84 trans am off my uncle when I was 11 for $800. I have mostly owned GM products with the exception of a couple of Fords. 

When I got the 70 tempest I was searching eBay for a 66-67 (my favorite years) Bonneville, Grand Prix, GTO, Tempest, Lemans, but I found the 70 in New Jersey for the right price and went with it.

I actually started the 47 international kb1 back in August 2011 after I was retired from the army, but that poor truck keeps getting bumped. I got it out of Bangor, Maine area for $600. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice car. I remember that car from the Pennswoods ads. I think the guy had a Javelin and a '67 Dodge for sale that looked interesting too. Had to r-e-s-i-s-t the urge to go look myself. With some (ok, a lot of) help from my wife I was able to restrain myself. I am glad the '48 got a good home. I am real close to you in Fernwood, just outside Houtzdale. I am sure we will see each other out and about. I thought I caught a glimpse of a Mopar coupe in Houtzdale a couple weekends ago. Maybe a '41 Plymouth, possibly just passing thru, or maybe these old Mopars are taking over Clearfield County. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldodge41 said:

Nice car. I remember that car from the Pennswoods ads. I think the guy had a Javelin and a '67 Dodge for sale that looked interesting too. Had to r-e-s-i-s-t the urge to go look myself. With some (ok, a lot of) help from my wife I was able to restrain myself. I am glad the '48 got a good home. I am real close to you in Fernwood, just outside Houtzdale. I am sure we will see each other out and about. I thought I caught a glimpse of a Mopar coupe in Houtzdale a couple weekends ago. Maybe a '41 Plymouth, possibly just passing thru, or maybe these old Mopars are taking over Clearfield County. 

Yeah I'm out near Sanborn on the same road as Bonnies greenhouse. Ill tell you this car was good looking on the outside but undernieth was kind of a nightmare. I watched this car for a long time and paid what he was asking but got a little bit of a surprise when I got home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oldodge41 said:

Nice car. I remember that car from the Pennswoods ads. I think the guy had a Javelin and a '67 Dodge for sale that looked interesting too. Had to r-e-s-i-s-t the urge to go look myself. With some (ok, a lot of) help from my wife I was able to restrain myself. I am glad the '48 got a good home. I am real close to you in Fernwood, just outside Houtzdale. I am sure we will see each other out and about. I thought I caught a glimpse of a Mopar coupe in Houtzdale a couple weekends ago. Maybe a '41 Plymouth, possibly just passing thru, or maybe these old Mopars are taking over Clearfield County. 

Now that I think about it again I was just out in your area the other day I took the head out to Finches Machine Shop to get it shaved. When you turn off of rt. 253 at the red white and blue tree and head back there maybe a mile and a half, to the right there is what looks to be a couple of 40s mopars, one is dark blue and the other is light green and patina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i live on Fernwood Road, the road before the one you turned on to. Those are Chevy's, they belong to a guy who lives in Morann. Early fifties I believe. He has, or had, a very nice '54 Chevy. I haven't seen it for quite a while now. Not sure if he still has that one or not. His Dad used to live on 28 Road where the old cars sit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use