1939 dodge business coupe u joint removal

garyp

Removed dust cover, spring, balls, rollers and thrust washers but I cannot push the trunion pin through  the end of the shaft I have tried everything I can think of including a block of wood and a hammer but no go any ideas out there? Thanks in advance      Gary 

Would it be any easier if you undid the 4 bolts at either end of the driveshaft holding the flange on and do the ball & trunion repair with the driveshaft on the bench..........andyd 

• Like 1

Gary There isa special tool that was used to hold the ball end of the drive shaft. The pin is then pressed out under a large bench press. The is a tool that also goes over the pin. so that the ends of the pin do not get mushroomed out.  I will psot a picture of the Miller Tool and the pin. I have the tool and the vise that holds the ball in place when pushing out the pin.  Do you have new Detroint U joints and Housing. I have several.

Rich Hartung

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 2

Thanks Andy I have the driveshaft on the workbench and in the vice but it is a no go I think I will take a ride to Rich Hartung's house next week sometime it seems he has everything I need beside I would like to see his car. Rich if that is alright with you let me know what day you are available.   Gary  

Garyp............I always remember when I got my 1940 Oz Dodge Coupe.......this was 1969 & I was 15, bright eyed and bushy tailed.......I'd removed the front sheet metal from the car which had been mildly customised by brazing all the fender joints together and bogged over......I had a sharp cold chisel and a hammer so you can imagine the mess I made of the fender joints chiselling first the bog then the brazed joints..........lol...........anyway I then decided to remove the engine etc.......so went to undo the driveshaft......undid the 4 bolts at either end of it and you know that recess in the brake drum that the flange fits into well it jammed in that ........lol........o/k...........I'm 15 and smart.......I'll undo the gearbox..............well it didn't go any better......lol.........the input shaft jammed at an angle into the clutch pressure plate...........lol.............so I know how to fix THIS........I'll undo the damn engine...........which I did and proceeded to lift the engine, gearbox AND driveshaft out in one LONG go.......luckily I had enough room behind the car so I was able to push the car back with the help of my 13yr old brother..........after getting the long "train" out and on the ground the driveshaft then gearbox both were an easy undo but it taught me that there is always a way to do something...........might not be the correct way but it'll work eventually.............heres a pic of MY car before I bought it( someone sent this pic into a magazine), tho' you can see that it has been in a front end prang as the bumper & grille can attest and the faint lack of fender seams all bogged over................the other pic was taken about 15 yrs later the day I sold it............I still don't like ball & trunion universal joints ...........lol...........Andy Douglas    

DodgeStoryCustomRodder1972.jpg

1940DodgePic3.jpg