glovebox door ?

casper50

My glovebox door fits really well after much adjustment.  The problem is when I push in the release button I can't get the door to fall open as I have to put pressure on the button to make it release.  If I use the key to pull after pushing the button it comes open.   Seems to me that there should be a spring to help it open or something.

Edited by casper50

Well,I wish you would change the title to sill mats,but PLEASE count me as someone interested in knowing what you discover. Maybe we can even get a discount if 3 or more people order?

You might also consider telling those guys they need to run a ad in the parts for sale section here.

OK,wth is going on here? The subject is clearly glove box doors,but the link  led me to an article about repop rubber door sills.

Edited by knuckleharley

what link?  I had to edit.  Somehow the link popped up from the last time I started a topic.  Auto fill I guess.   I have ordered the sill mats from Dennis Bickford in New Mexico.  Expensive but they are correctly made and should shut the door on the sill mats.

3 minutes ago, casper50 said:

what link?  I had to edit.  Somehow the link popped up from the last time I started a topic.  Auto fill I guess.   I have ordered the sill mats from Dennis Bickford in New Mexico.  Expensive but they are correctly made and should shut the door on the sill mats.

Have you received them yet? Can you post a review on fit and apparent quality? If not,can you PM me the contact details and price because I definitely want a set of nice mats for my 42 coupe.

It's a tiny piece of spring steel that goes under one of the hinge screws and then hits against the inside when its closed. I had the same issues with my P15 until I found the spring and added it.

32 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

It's a tiny piece of spring steel that goes under one of the hinge screws and then hits against the inside when its closed. I had the same issues with my P15 until I found the spring and added it.

Can you share a picture please? I have the same issue with my P-15.

Casper this is why I enjoy this forum so much........even after 40 yrs of ownership I could never figure out why my glove box door was such a PITA to get open.........then a few yrs ago someone else mentioned the lack of the infamous glove box door spring..............what?........a spring?........well I ended up finding a small piece of spring steel that was a fuel line clamp and drilled a hole and installed it behind the door and heypresto......you push the button and the door "springs" open..........she who must be obeyed was even given a special showing of this marvel of the new age...........I cut the curled end off and drilled a hole and shortened the other side and you can see in the 2nd pic it installed between the hinge and the dash panel and works perfectly...........hope this helps, regards from Oz........andyd    

P1000820 (800x600).jpg

P1000822 (800x600).jpg

found someone on ebay selling 5 of them.  Correct part number per the parts book.  Looks much longer in the front than what the parts book shows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-47-48-Dodge-Passenger-Car-NOS-MoPar-GLOVE-BOX-DOOR-HINGE-SPRING-1157699-/361526543674

s-l1600 (1).jpg