Help with VIN

I am resto modding a 49 Panel  Dodge B1 and wanted to know how to identify it. I have no ownership (Ontario Canada) and need to know where the VIN identification is. I see a small one on the firewall in front of the drivers side and thats it, nothing on the doors or anything, any help appreciated

the tag you are really looking for should be on the drivers A pillar.  That will have the info you need.  If it's missing then I don't know how else to find that info.  The one on the firewall is not the VIN.

standardized VINs did not appear until the late 60s...serial numbers were stamped on the frame and ID tag located between the driver door hinges...the cab number was stamped on a tag located on the firewall...the ID tag included the model designation, serial number, and HP ratings, but nothing about trim package, transmissions, etc that would be deciphered from a VIN :cool:

27 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

standardized VINs did not appear until the late 60s...serial numbers were stamped on the frame and ID tag located between the driver door hinges...the cab number was stamped on a tag located on the firewall...the ID tag included the model designation, serial number, and HP ratings, but nothing about trim package, transmissions, etc that would be deciphered from a VIN :cool:

huh, I always thought the frame number was different that the serial number (VIN for easiness sake).

VINs were established to clarify country of origin, manufacturer, powertrain, year of manufacture etc with the last 6 digits being vehicle serial number...VINs were not used prior to the late 60s, but data plates that contained manufacturer specific codes for powertrain, trim, paint etc as well as serial numbers were used...these trucks had a serial number and a model designation, if ya wanted more info you would have to get a build card...and for quite a few states, when assigning VINs became mandatory, these old trucks were assigned their engine number, not the serial number, so the VIN on the title could possibly not be found on the truck at all if the engine is swapped out...my '48 title has a T142 engine number, but the truck has had a Plymouth engine in it since '68 or so...so VIN kinda muddies up the water a bit whereas serial number is definitive :cool:

now I gotta go find the picture I took of my frame number and compare it to my A pillar tag...thanks...sigh... :)