A smoother ride 54 dodge truck

I pulled one leaf from each pack to smooth out the ride. It will also give a bit more drop. I normally pull the second one from the bottom. It will help, but is still a solid axle truck.

How exactly did you flip the front axle?

Edited by 59bisquik

25 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

I pulled one leaf from each pack to smooth out the ride. It will also give a bit more drop. I normally pull the second one from the bottom. It will help, but is still a solid axle truck.

How exactly did you flip the front axle?

put the axle on top of the springs is my guess.

Interesting... any interference with the u bolts and the frame? 

As for the ride, you can lose one leaf up front. The second one from the bottom will help but you will also go down another half inch or so also. Out back, you can take out the second from the bottom also. If you want a little more, then take the fourth. It's best to take every other instead of leafs right next to each other.

However, remember it's still a solid axle truck. It can be better, but will never ride like a passenger car.

• Like 1

I would also look at the "scrub Line" on your flipped set-up.

If you want a modern ride, then clip it, bag it, or buy a modern vehicle.

These old trucks ride okay, but are still trucks, much like older CJs.

What Flaming has done will give you a lower stance and softer ride, but as far as changing how an I beam front axle handles and steers, it aint like IFS no way, no how, Man.............

• Like 1

Good looking truck.  I like the stance.    I did the leaf removal thing, and added teflon liners between the springs.  Still rides like a buggy.  I still wonder if new springs would make a difference.  But I think the answer is either major mods, like air bags, or swapping a late model  suspension, or just drive slow and slow down for bumps!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frank's 49 said:

I still wonder if new springs would make a difference.

Nope... Mine has new springs all around. With 1 spring from each pack removed, she rides better, but still like a truck.

Looks great! Now you just need a set of the spider caps to finish off the look!

Spider-Caps-Wheel.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Frank's 49 said:

Good looking truck.  I like the stance.    I did the leaf removal thing, and added teflon liners between the springs.  Still rides like a buggy.  I still wonder if new springs would make a difference.  But I think the answer is either major mods, like air bags, or swapping a late model  suspension, or just drive slow and slow down for bumps!  

it's still a vehicle running on leaf springs...part and parcel of how that works.

• Like 1