1949 P-15 Sedan Deluxe 2 dr

Coolaidcop

Working on my 1949 P-15, encountering different problems, was reaching out for some opinions. 

1. The door jam/base plates - I don't have any, I heard they were rubber OEM, is there a metal/aluminum replacement?

2. The third brake light, bulb and wiring is fine, still doesnt work, what does it come on with, tailights?

3. What was the original handle on the end of the gear shift on the collum?

Thanks for any help...

Here are some pictures

IMG_8295.JPG

IMG_8299.JPG

• Like 2

Don't know about the door stuff. The center brake light cones off the brake light switch and a power wire at the ignition switch. the brake switch is usually just forward of the MC. Here sre some pics for reference.

Joe

P-15.jpg

IMG_20140205_075723.jpg

The shift knob is shaped like the head light, choke and throttle knobs without any writing and threaded to fit the shift lever. The door sill plates were rubber and I am not aware of any repops.

Update: here is a link to a topic that covers the sill mats. 

Edited by Silverdome
New Source for Sill Mats

Under the factory configuration, the center light in the rear is brake light only, and depending on the condition of your brake switch sometimes you have to press pretty hard before it comes on.

Many folks reconfigure the rear lights so all three light up when you step on the brake.  To get this to work with the headlights on, you'll need to replace the sockets with ones that allow for dual filament bulbs.

• Like 1

My information’s based upon our ’46 Plymouth, so please take that into consideration as I put in my two-cents worth here . . .

1) I’ve also heard that the sill plates were rubber/rubber clad metal, but our car has hard-aluminum ones (not the soft aluminum one would expect to encounter). They look like factory pieces, and don’t present the appearance of ever having been covered with rubber (or anything else, for that matter), so if they’re not originals, whoever fab’d them prior to our purchasing the car did one incredible job!!!

2) The center stoplight works only when the brake pedal is depressed. There’s a pressure switch near the master cylinder that causes the electric circuit to complete, and thus illuminate the center light. In its original layout, it’s independent of the taillights. Of note: there’ve been studies performed with results indicating that the single light by itself often isn’t enough to warn those behind that you’re slowing. Even back then, this was a problem. So, the solution is to incorporate the taillights into the brake light circuitry so contemporary drivers are warned accordingly as they’re accustomed to.

3) The knob on the end of the shift lever is a tear-dropped shaped ivory-colored hard plastic with cut threads. It tends to deteriorate with time, due to sun shining thru the glass, which reacts with the phenolic s (I think that’s what the particular chemical in question is . . .), and that, plus sustained/repeated usage, the knob will eventually fail. I went to the local hardware store, purchased a few aluminum drawer knobs that were of substantial size and similar shape, and used them—one for the shifter knob, another one for the cowl vent knob, which also fell apart with the rest being spares. I drilled them out, tapped them with appropriate threads, put them on a bolt with the head cut off, chucked that into my very large drill, set it on medium (so I could use it as an impromptu lathe), and used files and chisels to shape the base of each knob. After that was accomplished, I just spray painted them ivory. Altho’ not stock, they look close enough that no one notices, and we like the shape of the knobs with their gentle fluting. And, if someone does take notice, so what? The car isn’t a concours-level restoration, anyway.

Now, for my question—I took notice of your location of New Mexico, and I also noticed the rear license tag being issued by Tennessee. Is there an interesting story there??? Just being nosey/curious. Best regards . . .

Hello,

Your car looks pretty nice! Just needs the correct sized Whitewall tires 6:70 x 15 and hubcaps and trim rings. Check with Jim Benjamanson thru the Plymouth Owners Club who sells Goodyear collector tires for original bias tires or Coker for wide wall radials. Also check with Andy Bernbaum or Roberts Mopar Parts for a brake light switch and replacement step boards. I think Neil Riddle has NOS gear shift knobs. Good Luck with the car!  Also If you can locate one, put a overdrive in it, will make cruiseing a lot better(use a 51-53 Plymouth, the input shaft will be the right length and will bolt right in, without having to modify the driveshaft).

Enjoy! I have had mine for 32 years!

Ernie Baily

ernestbaily@att.net

I think I did that wrong.........sorry, Thank you DrDoctor for the information, very helpful.

Thanks Casper50 and Ernie Baily, also fantastic info.

As far as the Tennessee plate goes DrDoctor...

I'm from Greeneville Tenn., The plate belonged to my uncle Sonny, who is in a retirement home there, Sonny Higgins.  Kinda one of my heros, so when we cleaned out his place, I kept the plate and intend to run it on the front, but hadn't got my NM plate yet, so I had it there for decoration mostly. 

I live in Russellville Tn, which is in Hamblen Co, right next to Greene Co. Love to ride the back roads of Greene Co. Pretty country side. Had family in the McDonald area.

I go back every now and then, was there this passed March for a visit.  Love those curvy roads.

Thanks for the picture Don Coatney ..... I am also looking for the dash plymouth emblem if anyone has info.  There is one on ebay but it seems pricey at $225, but maybe thats realistic, I'm not sure.

dash 49.jpg

Coolaidcop,

Sorry, but I can’t answer if the price is reasonable, or not. Question—is yours missing, or damaged. If it’s missing, that makes the rest of my dissertation here moot:

If it’s damaged, but not severely, you could try to refinish it on the back in reverse. By that I mean, you’d do the lettering first, and then the background (I learned the difference when doing an emblem on my Pontiac (which I’ve subsequently gotten rid of . . .) by doing it backwards—what a mess!!!). Even if it’s cracked, that can usually be repaired. Just something to ponder.

Best regards . . .

At a glance your car looks like a 48 to me. Maybe it's a very early 49 as I'm used to seeing the smaller body,  ribbed bumper version when someone mentions a '49. In  the "for sale section"  of this site someone is parting out a 46 special deluxe. If you click on the post and follow the link to the photobucket pics the car they are supposed to be parting out I think it has the piece you are looking for. Maybe if you inquire about the part they will respond. If so you've had better luck from them than I have.

5 hours ago, Coolaidcop said:

I go back every now and then, was there this passed March for a visit.  Love those curvy roads.

Thanks for the picture Don Coatney ..... I am also looking for the dash plymouth emblem if anyone has info.  There is one on ebay but it seems pricey at $225, but maybe thats realistic, I'm not sure.

dash 49.jpg

believe that was 265.00 and notice that there is no top cneter mounting hole in that one compared to the other unit on e-bay for 100.00 that needs refurbished and does however have the mounting hole....personally I think this is way out of line for this part but then, I am not in need of one either....supply and demand...

Thanks JohnS48 and DrDoctor, unfortunately mine does not have the piece at all, so I don't have anything to try and refurbish.  I will check on that for sale post for the parting out 46, Flatie, appreciate it.  I was told my car is basically a 48, but was sold in early 49, so it was titled as a 49.  I guess there were a few hundred that were like that.  So for pretty much all relevant parts, I have to order based on 46,47,48.

Your understanding of the 49 model year is correct, Mr cop................they made the old style for either 3 or 4 months

until those boxy models with the ripple bumpers were ready to go.  So.....yes......everything on your car is from

the model P15 of 46-7-8.  (My son in law has an early 49  also, a coupe.)   .You can find reproduction gearshift

knobs of the correct style.......I tend to watch eBay as prices vary by seller.  Also those center dash plastic pieces

do fade with time .... so many of the used ones need repainting from the backside if the plastic is good.  

Shift knob.........

s-l225.jpg

Do you have the housing for that center plastic part.......the ribbed item that joins in with the top of the

dash chrome trim......

IM003961.jpg