trunk latch issue

DLK

This driving season has been going too smoothly in spite of the monsoon weather we have had off and on.  I have taken a couple of trips over 100 miles already. I went to open my trunk this afternoon and the latch turns fine but it does not unlatch the latch.  I am puzzled as to how I can solve this problem.  I don't think taking the back seat back cushion out gives me an opening big enough for my large frame.  It's strange because I did not hear any noise and the latch seems to have the normal amount of resistance so I assume it's not like a pin sheared off.  I tried pulling with extra force enough to rock the car but no luck.

I assume the P-15 latch isn't a whole lot different than my 1950 Dodge.  Can someone offer any suggestions?   The good news is my spare is worthless and the bumper jack doesn't work so it's not an immediate crisis.

locked trunk.jpg

open trunk.jpg

Take the back seat out and use something like a broomstick with a flathead screwdriver attached to it to pop the lid.

Or,if you have to unbolt the lock from the bottom to get it open,give a kid a ratchet and a socket and send him in through the hole.

Best of my knowledge that chrome assembly on the trunk probably has 4 nuts on the inside to be removed. Pulling the lock cylinder wouldn't help. Guessing the shaft is broken. Getting in there is the challenge. Keep posting on your findings/success.

Sorry for your trouble.

I had a problem opening the trunk lid on my '55 Desoto. I took the back cushion out and with a couple of flashlights, and

every ratchet extension I had, I was able to reach the bolts and remove the lock. It wasn't easy lining up the socket with the bolts, but doable.

The trunk on your car is probably shorter than on the '55, so it might not be that bad of a job.

Worth a try, hope that helps and good luck.

• Like 1

Well I have gotten so far as to take back seat out, fish out the car cover and look at what I have.

My daughter would raise the roof if I tried to get my grandson to squeeze between the bars and try to remove the three screws holding the latch assembly in place.  Besides he would not have the strength to loosed the screws without a powerful electric screwdriver.  As I see it I have two options to either cut away part of the seat back bracing so I can crawl in myself (I could weld or bolt it back in after) or to try to find a phillips head screwdriver with a 36" handle. I was pleasantly surprised to see just three screws holding it in place.

back seat bracing.jpg

Trunk inside latch.jpg

hire a skinny teenager.  They will get back there and have the strength to remove them.  They could most likely use a few bucks as well.

I'm 60 years old, 6' 1" and weight 190 and crawled between the ones on my 47 coupe

Edited by casper50

surely you have a few extensions for your socket set....maybe the neighbor has one or two..those and a proper sized socket, screwdriver insert and you in the money...well at least should be in the ballpark of the screw heads...little tape at the joints so not to just fall apart or drop out the bit...you don't have to think outside the box, you just got to be able to work within it.

Here's another thought. Use an eight or twelve point socket to turn the square shaft, it looks like it is still attached.

One question also. Did this model have the freewheeling (for lack of better terminology) lock mechanism? I know some of the old cars had that so that you wouldn't break the handle when it was locked.

What Tim said. You can get a 3/8 socket with a screw driver head. Then you just need a ton of extensions. I've never used it with an extension but I don't see why you couldn't use an impact driver with the extensions too. You can just make out the bits and driver under the oil filter sockets

This project could be a good use for those 18" and 24" extensions...

IMAG0138.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

maybe it is just myself as I find tools are in the category, you cannot  have too many...but I think I could do this job from 8 feet away using just my 3/8 drive extensions...run to a local pawn shop, grab some cheapo extensions..pay about 4-6 dollars....be done with it....or pay about 8 - 10 bucks and get some brand name stuff...buy a set of 15" extensions..you got drum sticks....!!!

"Problem" solved

I went to two big tool stores and the biggest phillips they had in stock was 16".  I went to Menards (Young Ed can relate to this:)) and they had a 24" one for just about $3.  It worked slick I could reach the screws from the backseat.

Now the embarrassing part...  I disassembled the latch from the decklid and still could not open the trunk.  I decided to apply pressure with a pry bar and finally it popped open. It turns out I got some Bullfrog rust remover on the rubber gasket and it stuck so well that when I got the trunk open the rubber gasket pulled out of its track!

• Like 1