Lets go for a ride.

rb1949

We have some here in Missouri called "diverging diamonds" ..... and I don't know if there are any others

with different names.   We have one of those diamonds, plus several roundabouts in our town now.......we

must be getting into the big time.

On 5/25/2017 at 9:24 AM, Don Coatney said:

Here in Fort Wayne we have this to contend with.

http://www.in.gov/indot/2894.htm

I hadn't seen or heard of this style intersection before. Interesting take on the problem. Looks like it might work pretty well once all the local drivers get used to it.

The problem with unique traffic solutions is that they are just that, unique.  Once the locals get used to them, every visitor thereafter ties up traffic trying to figure it out.  I'm an odd duck that likes roundabouts / traffic circles, but every city/state does them differently.

Two of my favorite unique traffic solutions. The first is just south of Saratoga Springs, NY. Five rotaries in a row.

The second is the Magic Roundabout in Swindon in the UK. One big rotary surrounded by five smaller rotaries you use to enter/exit the big one. Imagine driving that on the left side of the road!

Pete

Saratoga Springs rotaries.JPG

Swindon, UK - The Magic Roundabout.JPG

On 5/25/2017 at 8:02 PM, Merle Coggins said:

A Diverging X intersection. I've been through a couple of those down in Atlanta area. A little strange the first time through one, but then you'll realize they work pretty well. They're rebuilding an interchange near me into one of those.

Are you referring to what all the locals called to Polish Connection for years.

• Like 1

and you thought poor ole Clark Griswold had it bad stuck in a British traffic circle for hours as he could not get over to the exit lane..speaking which and in order of a test ride...a car of the same mark he was driving in the movie.......I will now transfer you to a LBC thread..I am up to my ears in welding metal in a 70 model with 4 speed stick...for those not familar, the automatic and standard transmission and differential is in the oil pan of the engine sharing the same oil....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

6 hours ago, Todd B said:

Are you referring to what all the locals called to Polish Connection for years.

The Polish Connection, as I understand it, is the Hwy 10/441 bridge over Little Lake Butte des Morts, which is under major reconstruction now. (Also known as the Roland Kampo bridge) The 441 - 10 East interchange, at Oneida St, is in the process of getting one of these interchanges. I'm sure the locals will have some interesting names for it when it's done. :D

I am not a fan of the roundabout but I pull trailers a lot. Carmel Indiana has loads of them. But I try to stay far away from Carmel. That whole area is a traffic jam.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, rcb said:

I am not a fan of the roundabout but I pull trailers a lot. Carmel Indiana has loads of them. But I try to stay far away from Carmel. That whole area is a traffic jam.

My first experience with traffic circles, after learning to drive in the wide-open desert, was in West Germany in 1980.  Of course, they were already well established in Europe.  It was always a hoot to watch newly arrived GIs try their hand with their first roundabouts.    At least all the roundabouts I've encountered here in Maine are two lane and quite big.  The last few they put in when I was in western New York (south end of Grand Island Blvd. on Grand Island comes to mind), were one lane and barely big enough for a pick-up truck.  Heaven forbid you drive a semi through, they had to redo the inside of the circle within a year with pavement because the semis couldn't make the curve.  When we were in Michigan, they were continuing to install roundabouts at the exit ramps of major highways through the 'burbs.  Traffic was always horrible there, but not because of those roundabouts, they are well planned and executed.