52 not a 53

52 yes....but honestly....it would be tough to build that truck for that....see most of us guys value our time at zero $'s but if you couldn't do the work yourself, this is cheap, at the end of the day, it still costs a lot of money just in parts and paint alone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

What did PT Barnum say, Reg nice old truck but over priced for sure.

Somebody might have a bunch of labor racked up, but what some shiny paint, box side rails and a Roberts or Bernbaum interior kit.

Very cute truck but a limited market, and big bucks.... and the engine is the wrong color, this is a resto company trying to make a profit for sure

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire
  • Like 1

someone with more dollars than sense would think this is a neat old truck...I would be picking it apart for all of its inaccuracies...and as Dad is fond of saying, "for that kind of money, it better have a spare tire" :cool: 

• Like 2

I would honestly expect a 100% original build to be about another $10,000 more...after the money I see buried in my truck...that one on eBay isn't that bad of a deal.  A good shop paint job is about $5-$7000, and that might even be low...go for black and your more like $10,000 unless you like orange peel and every old dent showing.

The problem is the market hasn't caught up yet on the old Dodges like Ford or Chevy...but it's close, and if you really like the truck, sometimes money isn't a factor.

It's not so much the money but the amount of money one tell's one's wife about is the issue.  That truck probably cost someone nearly or at the asking price.  The problem is coming up with that amount without the missus finding out about it.  

Always start with a beater and gradually pour a lot of money into it.  Problem solved!

If I were to get caught spending that amount of money, I would then be on the hook for new furniture, carpet, light fixtures, and a vacation to some island somewhere.  

• Like 2

Well, when I refurbished mine almost 20 years ago I had maybe 5K into the paint and upholstery.  I already had the 251 engine which I had rebuilt by Kragen for 1K and used in another truck for several years. I did 90% of the work except for some upholstery.  So $5000 in 1998 dollars equals about  $7500 today so I can't see myself spending that kind of $$$$ even if I had it.

PLUS......they are saying it's a '53 even after I sent them the Dodge Truck Vin Verifier page.

Edited by Reg Evans

As always,  seller is just trying to recoup and then some, his investment.  Bottom line for me is, no matter how much you spend on restoring older vehicles,  it's a 50-50% proposition.  Very nice truck, but to me I wouldn't  give more than $18,000-20,000 for it.  It's not even a 5 window cab. Looks like they installed a Jeep Cherokee axle under it also.  What else is not original to the truck.  

34 minutes ago, Dozerman51 said:

As always,  seller is just trying to recoup and then some, his investment.  Bottom line for me is, no matter how much you spend on restoring older vehicles,  it's a 50-50% proposition.  Very nice truck, but to me I wouldn't  give more than $18,000-20,000 for it.  It's not even a 5 window cab. Looks like they installed a Jeep Cherokee axle under it also.  What else is not original to the truck.  

If the seller paid a pro shop to do all of that work he's probably trying to recover a reasonable percentage of what he spent to minimize losses.

4 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

PLUS......they are saying it's a '53 even after I sent them the Dodge Truck Vin Verifier page.

That is probably what the truck title indicates.  The titling agencies in those days were not as interested in model years as they were with dates of sale.  Many 1952 vehicles sold after the first of the year were titled as 1953s.

In Missouri, this is easily fixed with a list such as you indicated.  My guess is that the seller or agent does not want to fool with it.

• Like 1