25 " engine in a 41 plymouth 4dr

homer41

I am sure this has been done before but how much of a job is it?  I have located a Chrysler spitfire, look here--- https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/6131592059.html

Can anyone id the trans from the pictures? Could  I or would I have to use that trans?  Dave

In days gone bye the Spitfire engine was a very common application in Dodge/Plymouth vehicles.. I put a '48 Spitfire in a '48 Dodge a few years ago. Looking at the pix of the unit on craigslist I would guess that the trans is a Fluid Drive, The trans can be a problem because of the fluid-drive portion of the trans assembly. As I recall the imput shaft is very long.

Many of the early Mopar chassis' were drilled for the 25" 250 CID engines because Chrysler sold the Dodge/Plym cars badged as Chryslers in Canada and other overseas Markets.

Generally speaking the trick to installing the 25" engine into a Dodge/Plym is moving the radiator to the front of the core support. I would think that the engine at $300. would be a good find.

Thanks, would it be a reasonable option to use the fluid drive trans in the plymouth? How would things work out with that option?

Foot note to Chrysler Spitfire engine swap.

If you could find a Chrysler/Desoto three speed OD trans to mount onto the Spitfire you would have a sweet running highway cruiser that would not be a 'Belly-buttion' application.

3 minutes ago, homer41 said:

Thanks, would it be a reasonable option to use the fluid drive trans in the plymouth? How would things work out with that option?

The Fluid Drive unit was a "knee jerk" application that Chrysler came up with to counter-act GM's Hydramatic in the Cad/Olds cars. A three-speed OD trans would be the best application..Chrysler/Desoto cars had a lot of them up through about 1952, Dodge/Plym got the OD trans behind the six cylinder engine's in '51-52..

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about Mopar sizes will chime in on this thread with more trans options.

I have the big block in my '41.
It was installed by the PO. It fits in pretty easy, but may require you to notch the front crossmember for clearance. Mine was installed without notching, but I sure wish they had.
If you ever plan on installing accessories that require a second fan belt, such as A/C, you must notch it.
Plan on moving your radiator forward to clear the fan. In fact, plan on having a new radiator as the old one likely will not fit in the new location.

From the picture the transmission looks like it might be a hydraulically operated semi automatic transmission with the high and low range of gears, probably with the fluid drive portion on the flywheel.

If you just use the engine the transmission might be valuable to others.

Way back when we did this on more than one old Plymouth.  If I remember correctly we used the original Plymouth trns. and everything hooked up the same as the Plymouth motor did but had to notch the frame to clear the crankshaft pulley and modify the radiator.  ( turned it around and changed inlet and outlet I think )  Motor mounts and all that was the same.  You wont need overdrive as we used to drive 75 all the time.  We changed the pressure plate and clutch disc from a Dodge truck as they were more heavy duty for dragging.    Remember cutting a hole in the manifold for dual hollywood mufflers.  Those were the days.. LOL

Edited by dale

You could use the engine and source/install a manual trans from a pre-1960 L6 as noted, however, do not use a 218 flywheel as these had/have a different offset from the crank flange and will place the ring gear about 0.185" farther aft than 'normal'.

Also note that there are some bellhousings that are drilled for both the L6 and the V8 and can be used. There are several different bell designs related to rear mounts and these may, or may not, affect your swap depending on your needs and fab skills....