Whats That Smell?????

Hubler13f

On the lighter side of things, have any of you just had one of those brain fart kind of days where you just couldn't win.

Well today I back the P15 down the driveway to the mailbox and proceeded down the road to head into town by the time I got 1/8 mile down the road I smelled something, I thought that was odd because I just ran my stepson into baseball practice the other day with no issues. By the time I reached the stop sign at 1/4 mile the rear of the car was engulfed in a cloud of smoke. I began to hear something sizzling and looked down to see the carpet melting in the middle of the floor!!!! WTF!?!?!?! and then it hit me, the emergency brake, I forgot the dang emergency brake. Here is the visible aftermath. Things got so hot under there it melted the carpet and I could hear the throw-out bearing ticking when I would push the clutch in. After it cooled down the throw-out bearing quit ticking but the softball sized melted area in the middle of the floor remains. Let the flaming begin! 

20170518_143357.jpg

Edited by Hubler13f
grammer

Just be glad no actual flaming happened.

I've had a couple of friends loose their car's over a fire. Just be glad it wasn't bad. One friend had a 68 GTO burn to the ground, total loss, over a rear wheel bearing going out. The car had been given to him from his dad who had bought it new.

Lucky break, Hubler.  Carpets can cause a lot of smoke - I'll never forget when I was a little kid and the fire trucks rolled up to a neighbor's house and started hosing down the interior of their new '62 Fury.  It seams that they had a glass gallon jug of distilled water on the floor in the back seat - the sun came around and the bottle of water focused a sunbeam like a magnifying glass on the carpet, which after time began to smolder.  Actual damage (other than what came out of a 2 inch hose) was confined to the carpet.

A real life science lesson from the days of Mr. Wizard!

I carry fire extinguishers in most of my vehicles. Several years ago a guy was driving his freshly finished Auburn back from ACD auction and had a fire. All he could do was watch it burn. Shortly after I saw a woman on the interstate who had pulled over and the fire had just started in the engine compartment, but no one had anything to put it out. So I started keeping one in my vehicles. Just a few weeks ago I had a truck backfire and it lit the grass underneath it on fire and the truck wasn't going anywhere... fortunately I had the fire extinguisher at hand. I could have crawled under and beat it out, but still, it was nice to hit it with a single shot and be done.

Edited by rcb

Hubler13f,

WOW!!!!!  I shudder to think about what could‘ve happened compared to what did happen. That’s why I’m such a stickler about what I use on the inside of a car—potential toxic fumes=potential dead . . . . .  Tragically, many such stories don’t end well, but I’m really glad this one ended on a happy note for you.

This makes me think again about putting a small light near the parking brake handle with a flasher, or maybe even with a buzzer, hooked up to a brake switch mounted against the handle, so I won’t forget to release the handle (which I’ve done a time or two). Best regards . . .

• Like 1

I had the junk 305 in my 48 Plymouth coupe backfire running down the highway and catch fire under the hood about 3  years ago. I can tell you I was damn happy to have that cheap Ace Hardware fire extinguisher in the car with me. By the time I got it stopped and got the hood open all the wiring had been burnt under the hood and the carb was melted,but at least my car didn't burn to the ground.

Been gathering all the parts and getting all the chrome redone since then to put it back up right. Even bought a complete Ron Francis wiring harness to replace the high-tech red and black wiring scheme the car came with.

Here is a photo of a custom digital instrument cluster I designed and had made for the P-15. It sits in an actual P-15 instrument cluster housing. You can't see them in the photo,but when plugged in it shows the gear the car is in,turn signals,high beam,OD connection,and even flashes when it gets low on gas. The photo was obviously taken when it was being tested.

591e19a9189ca_DigitalDash.jpg.48fa34d9a479c91fbaa3fb89fb323a20.jpg

BTW.the whole face of it is a deep black with a red tint kind of like some wines when the switch is off.

Also replacing the worn out 305 and junk turbo 250 with a balanced and blueprinted "long rod' 412 SBC with Keith Black pistons, gapless rings.535 lift cam,,Dart 2 heads,and roller rockers that was assembled by a NASCAR engine shop in it,along with a turbo 400 with a shift kit and high stall converter. Already had them and they only have about 20k miles on them,so I might as well use them. That should do a good job of waking that little Plymouth up,

I guess you could actually say the underhood fire was a good thing for that old P-15 because I would have never taken it apart to completely redon it as long as I was able to drive and enjoy it.

And it will have another new fire extinguisher riding along in it everywhere it goes.

Edited by knuckleharley

1 minute ago, DrDoctor said:

Hmmmmm . . . .  now you’ve got me to thinking further on this—along with the parking brake warning system, I think I’ll get another fire extinguisher—one that’s more manageable than the big/unwieldy one’s I “steal” from the shop and put in the trunk. Thx.

Ace Hardware carries small ones big enough to put out underhood fires,and at a reasonable price.

IIRC,they carry one for home fires,and one for marine fires because they sell boat accessories. You would obviously get the marine one. Don't think they can be refilled,but they are cheap enough it doesn't matter.

I buy the ABC ones from Walmart (the smaller size) but I'd imagine that most places carry them. They're like 15-20 if I recall. Just don't put them anywhere a seat adjuster might get them... learned that one the hard way ahahaha! Keeping a cool head helps a lot. Some fire departments have days you can come out and learn how to properly use a fire extinguisher. Even if you don't do that, I highly recommend using one on a camp fire or the like, just to get an idea what it does. Short controlled bursts are the way to go in most situations.

Edited by rcb
  • Like 1

There are so many points here that apply to my cars past and present Ill try to hit them all. I did have a small ABC fire extinguisher on hand that I keep behind the seat along with some tools, luckily I did not have to use it. A couple miles down the road who knows if I would have been that lucky.

2 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I've had a couple of friends loose their car's over a fire. Just be glad it wasn't bad. One friend had a 68 GTO burn to the ground, total loss, over a rear wheel bearing going out. The car had been given to him from his dad who had bought it new.

I lost my first car an 84 Trans Am to an engine fire, burnt to the ground at the bottom of my dad's driveway. I bought this 48 P15 BZ CP over 2 years ago as a partially done project and on one of the first shake down runs I took it on the pinion bearing locked up solid on me at 55 MPH, talk about a wild ride.

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

Hubler13f,

WOW!!!!!  I shudder to think about what could‘ve happened compared to what did happen. That’s why I’m such a stickler about what I use on the inside of a car—potential toxic fumes=potential dead . . . . .  Tragically, many such stories don’t end well, but I’m really glad this one ended on a happy note for you.

This makes me think again about putting a small light near the parking brake handle with a flasher, or maybe even with a buzzer, hooked up to a brake switch mounted against the handle, so I won’t forget to release the handle (which I’ve done a time or two). Best regards . . .

I used on my floor what many guys on these forums have been calling the original Dyna-Mat, You know that peel and stick stuff that you get in the roofing section at Lowes. I can tell you that I am rethinking my actions because that stuff turned to sizzling tar and is part of what trapped the heat and ignited and took the carpet with it. in fact on second look I am wondering if I hadn't used it, if the carpet would have been touched at all.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

I had the junk 305 in my 48 Plymouth coupe backfire running down the highway and catch fire under the hood about 3  years ago. I can tell you I was damn happy to have that cheap Ace Hardware fire extinguisher in the car with me. By the time I got it stopped and got the hood open all the wiring had been burnt under the hood and the carb was melted,but at least my car didn't burn to the ground.

My first car was an 84 Trans Am and I lost it in a fire due to a quadrajunk carb sitting on a worn out 305, it backfired through the carb and away she went.

50 minutes ago, Hubler13f said:

There are so many points here that apply to my cars past and present Ill try to hit them all. I did have a small ABC fire extinguisher on hand that I keep behind the seat along with some tools, luckily I did not have to use it. A couple miles down the road who knows if I would have been that lucky.

I lost my first car an 84 Trans Am to an engine fire, burnt to the ground at the bottom of my dad's driveway. I bought this 48 P15 BZ CP over 2 years ago as a partially done project and on one of the first shake down runs I took it on the pinion bearing locked up solid on me at 55 MPH, talk about a wild ride.

I used on my floor what many guys on these forums have been calling the original Dyna-Mat, You know that peel and stick stuff that you get in the roofing section at Lowes. I can tell you that I am rethinking my actions because that stuff turned to sizzling tar and is part of what trapped the heat and ignited and took the carpet with it. in fact on second look I am wondering if I hadn't used it, if the carpet would have been touched at all.

My first car was an 84 Trans Am and I lost it in a fire due to a quadrajunk carb sitting on a worn out 305, it backfired through the carb and away she went.

This was a Edelbrock/Carter AFB 4brl,but the ignition wiring was questionable,and I should have rewired the damn thing before the fire. I was waiting to get all the parts I needed to redo the car,and was then going to do it all at once. I shouldn't have waited.

Hubler13f,

I just came back in from walking the cat (yes, the cat—he’s 32 lbs, 43” long, and 18” tall at the shoulders, yep—he’s not fat, he’s just BIG), and I’m still getting the shivers when I think about what could have happened. My wife and I are just so glad that no one was hurt, or worse. Please accept the following in the spirit intended (I’m not trying to jam my point of view down anyone’s throat), I know that Dynamat is really popular with the hotrod crowd, but I’m a proponent of the old-fashioned jute padding. It’s easy to install (using the 3M spray adhesive), it’s inexpensive, it’s easy to find, and it’s very effective. I just don’t like the asphalt-based products because of the toxicity of the fumes, so I don’t use it. The Dynamat’s foil supposedly helps with radiant heat reflectivity, but I’m not convinced that that’s an issue in a steel car (I can see it being important in a fibreglas car).

Knuckleharley—Nahhh . . .  Just to mess with you, I won’t buy the marine fire extinguisher. But I do think I’ll get a couple of them, one larger one in the trunk, and a smaller one inside of the car. Now that I’ve typed this, I think it makes sense to purchase another set for the Cadillac/driver. Couldn’t hurt, right???

If you'uns'  (?)  cars don't have one already, it should be easy to retrofit.  Our D24 has a factory warning light - the map light flashes when the parking brake is on, (ignition on).  Simple pressure switch on the handle arm through a flasher to the map light.  I'd have to check the wiring diagram for the particulars, but its obviously doable.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

Dr. That's a beast of a cat Lol! I am going to reconsider what I am using. I have a 47 International KB1 I have been building from the frame up, so all of these lessons learned will be considered.

Don, If I had felt anything, I would have stopped and checked it out. The car shifted through the gears fine, and accelerated well. I realize this is a dumb mistake on my part but that warning light probably would have saved my carpet.

Dan I am definitely from the "yinz" belt (western PA and Appalachian dialect), I was stationed in Louisiana for 9 years though so I really mess people up when a "y'allinz" slips out. Quick Story, When I was in Afghanistan in 2006, we were in contact and I was coordinating an airstrike with our JTAC and a team of A-10s. When I returned to the FOB I was surprised by a full bird colonel asking "Who was talking to those birds" my CO pointed him my way, and he asked "where around Pittsburgh are you from" I told him and he slapped a coin in my hand and said "I knew it as soon as I heard your ass on the radio" and walked away. So I'm guessing I talk with a thick western PA dialect.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I bet I can guess the second odor after you found out what you did....:eek:

Good one Tim, good one.

Hubler13f,

I love the story about the bird-colonel—priceless!!! I had a sortof-similar experience while I was in the Navy, but I do like your story better. As an older veteran to a younger one—my wife and I are glad you made it home OK. Hope you’re doing well. Warmest regards . . . . Dr and Mrs . . . . . . . .

P.S. — Yeah, he’s a beast, alright. But, he’s just a big cuddly kitty, who likes to go for a walk in the cool of the evening. But, if it’s raining/snowing/cold, then forget about it—he’s got other important things to do . . .

It sure would nice if someone here could draw up a field sketch for how to install a switch to show when the hand  brake is in the brake lock position.  I have also left my hand  brake on a with a fluid drive car it is easy to do.  I have seen a device that hat was being sold as an accessory for Chrysler cars but cannot locate any now.  Jon

I could draw one, but I don’t know how to send it to anyone, since it be drawn with a pencil on paper. The method I’d use is the like the brake light switch on my now-long-gone ’56 Chevy convertible. Fabricate a bracket for the brake light switch to contact the park brake handle, drill a small hole in the dash where you want the light bulb, wire it so that it only comes on when the ignition key is on, and that’s basically it. Probably someone else here can draw this as well, or perhaps even better, than I could, and has the computer savvy to transmit it here. I wish I could, but I can’t. Anyway—Regards . . .

To KnuckleHarley:

You referred to engine backfire.  I see the term backfire now and then but I don't know what a backfire really is. Please describe!!!

1 hour ago, dmartin_egroup said:

To KnuckleHarley:

You referred to engine backfire.  I see the term backfire now and then but I don't know what a backfire really is. Please describe!!!

Ok,I will try. It is when the gas going into the carburetor "explodes" in the carb and/or intake manifold instead of in the combustion chamber.  This results in a large ball of fire coming out the top of your carburetor. Sometimes the fire is controlled by the air cleaner,and sometimes it is not. It all depends on how much gasoline is flooding the intake when the ignition fires and how "air restrictive" the air cleaner is.

The problem is usually caused by the carb flooding from a stuck or sticking float,and these days I SUSPECT by low-octane gas with ethanol ( and water because of the ethanol) in it that doesn't want to ignite correctly and burn off all the fuel being pumped to the engine before the next charge hits the intake runners. I am not an automotive engineer though,and the second part is just my own theory based on me never having this trouble until I started running ethanol. Timing problems can cause it to happen,too.

I have never seen or heard of this happening with modern cars with fuel injection and computer-controlled timing.  It might happen,but I have never heard of it happening.

Edited by knuckleharley