1948 Plymouth special deluxe clutch pedal won't return

vinny1416

I have a 48 Plymouth and when I pushed on the clutch and the pedal doesn't come back up at all. Have been messing with it for a couple weeks but can't seem to find the problem. Been looking for springs that might of broke off but I can't find it. Any help or guidance will be great. Thank you

Was the pedal all the way up  before you pushed on it?

How long has the car been sitting?

Has the clutch pedal ever been all the way to the floor before?

Is the car a drive that you drive at least once a week?

Is there a threaded metal rod anywhere in sight? If there is and it is not connected to the clutch pedal and the arm on the bellhousing that engages the clutch,it should be.

If you don't see one anywhere,start looking  where the car was the last time you shifted gears.

Yes the pedal was all the way up before I pushed on it. Car has been sitting for about 8 years but when ever I would push it around they pedal would come up. I would say the pedal stopped coming up about 6 months ago and just haven't touched it since. Everything seems connected. It engages the clutch but just doesn't return. I'll send pictures in a little and maybe you can tell me what I'm missing. I'm farely new to these old cars. 

It’s possible that the return spring broke, and the pieces of it have fallen off of the car. The voice of experience here—I had that happen on a ’56 Chevy when I was in high school, and the car was only a 10-year old car at the time. Go figure . . .

vinny1416:  The first suggestion since you a new to this car would be to get a reproduction service manual for the car. This will also provide you willinformation on how to fix items on the car and also provide you with pictures of how various items are attached to other components on the car.  This is one of the basic catalogs that you will need to support you to keep your car running.

Look on ebay for service manuals and or get a Motors Book or Chilton book on your car.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

2 hours ago, vinny1416 said:

Thanks DeSoto, I will get one of those right away

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1948+motors+auto+repair+manual.TRS0&_nkw=1948+motors+auto+repair+manual&_sacat=0

One of these is what you need. The Chiltons are written more for professional mechanics. The Motors Manuals cover repairs from the point of view of a home mechanic.

You will also need factory service and parts manuals before you are done,and you can buy reproductions pretty cheap. They are necessary because they have parts numbers and they also have detailed photos of the parts they are describing.

Looks like some parts are missing!

• Like 1

They sell springs at any auto store. You can either buy one or an assortment of them as well. That's what I recently did.

2 hours ago, John Norlien said:

Where is a good source to buy a spring such as in Don's picture above

• 2 weeks later...