Electrical fuel pump 6 volts

JIPJOBXX

Just want to install a six volt fuel pump to assist fuel getting to carberator when starting up!  Where to locate pump in fuel system and where to mount on oft switch.  I can start up car but it seems to take forever for fuel to get to Carberatorp after a few weeks of not running.  

Mount it as close to the gas tank as possible. Electric fuel pumps like to push more than pull.

Make sure you put a fuel regulator on it to make sure it pumps no more than 4psi of pressure.

If it were me,I'd  put the switch on or under the bottom of the dash,maybe on a chrome panel with a red light to show when it's pumping.

• Like 1

I have an electric pump and it is a far back as you can get it on the frame rail to the gas tank. I then have a toggle switch that is mounted under the dash so I can turn it off and on when needed. I do not have a regulator on my pump. I use it to prime my carb.

Rich Hartung

I have one in my Packard, using it only to fill the carb after car hasn't been driven for a week or so; switch is mounted in glovebox. You'll know that the carb is filled by changing in sound of pump. Normally, mechanical pump is used; I tried to use electrical(when I bought the car it was connected to the ignition), but as it worked all the time with the same efficiency, it was impossible to make it work right; engine was flooded on the idle and didn't get enough fuel while accelerator was pressed down; also, the starting was harder, due to extra load on the battery.

IMO, better idea than using electric pump is looking around for a one with manual lever, if they were made for MOPAR. If not, one from GAZ-51 would probably fit, as it's motor was a copy of Chrysler flathead 6; also, popular GAZ/FSO M20 engine, as it was shorten by two cylinders engine of GAZ 51; same fuel pump was used in GAZ 21 ("old Volga") engine and then in GAZ 24 ("new Volga") engine; at the same time FSO M20 engine was redesigned to OHV and became FSO S-21 engine, which production ended in 1993. In Poland new one can be bought for ~~40 $, shipping it to US would probably cost around 15$. This is how it looks like: https://3.allegroimg.com/s400/013634/cab30f0f4b468b4cadf4870a5053

Best looking one is that from old Volga, with glass top; it seems to be an exact copy of Chrysler pump, only with added manual pumping lever, but it's much harder to buy.

$(KGrHqN,!qcFEOWU6V0lBRejNBmRSQ~~48_20.J

• Like 1