Distributor points

• 1 month later...

So I was going to change the points and condenser today. I started to take rhe bottom bolt out and the insulator between the bolt and the metal piece disintegrated as I was unbolting it. 

Dose anyone no if there is anywhy that I can fix this because I'm guess it's not a ground. The truck isn't starting. I mean can I just use another rubber or plastic grommet. 

Found out it is called the terminal stud insulator. At least in the parts book it called that. 

20170626_125733.jpg

Edited by bambamshere

Ok I am waiting for my shop manual for my truck to come. Since this is the first time of me doing my points and condenser. Does someone have a picture of where the wire from condenser and the leads from the points go on the bolt. I no they can't hit metal. 

So I finally have spark but the truck doesn't start. It tries to but not aurw if it is flooded or if something else is wrong. I have 12volts going into my ignition coil. I have taken sparkplugs out and made sure they were gaped right .035 and made sure points were also .019. Not sure why it won't go. I did advance the timing the other day because of old points but I put it back today. Should I retard it some more. Could it be the condenser. 

Just want the truck to run 

If you have spark at the spark plugs your condenser is OK. You either don't have spark at the right time, or you're not getting the right amount of fuel. The first time I started mine I had a similar thing. It wanted to go, but not quite. I cracked the throttle open slightly and it fired right up. After I adjusted the idle circuit all was fine.

Ok so got engine to start but next problem is it just won't stay going. Won't rev up or anything sound like it ia stumbling a bit. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. I don't have shop manual for this truck. Yet not sure if I should try. Advancing or retarding my timing. I did crack the throttle a bit and it started that way. Not sure if I should go buy another battery because the one I have is dead right now and am charging it. It was running before on it so can't see why it wouldn't again. 

Not sure what else to do. It is getting plenty of gas as I said it was running before I started doing new points and condenser. 

Please help 

Do you have a timing light, or the tools necessary to static time it? If the timing is off it may start but lack power and stumble badly.

I would also reset my points with a dwell meter after the initial gap adjustment. It gives a more accurate setting. Keep in mind that adjusting the points will change the ignition timing, even if you haven't moved the distributor.

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

Best way to adjust the dwell is using a drill motor on the bench to spin the distributor and make adjustments while it is spinning.

drill2.jpg

I always did mine in the truck. Remove cap and rotor, connect dwell meter, with key on, and in neutral, reach down and engage the starter lever by hand... read dwell meter.

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

I actually just had a old tume mechanic come to my house. Guy has been living down the street for 2 years and didn't know it. He was saying he was working on theae trucks back in the 60's. First thing he did was change the points to .022 and told me to start it. It came to life and then he looked at my fuel bowl and said there isn't enough fuel going in and it is starving it self. So tomorrow he is coming over to see if the fuel pump is bad and he is also going to get the truck running properly. I think he is just happy to be working on one of these engines again. If he can get it running again properly all the power to him. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

I actually just had a old time mechanic come to my house. Guy has been living down the street for 2 years and didn't know it.

He should carry a card with his address on it in his pocket so he'll know where he lives.

• Like 4

So I did get truck running the other day. I hadn't put condenser in all the way on the bolt. I went to bucks also to see if they may have had a distributor but no. But they did have a old truck in the corner all rusty with a flathead in it. Not sure how big it was. They did have 3 or 4 GM flatheads 6's with distributors but nothing for Dodges. 

Edited by bambamshere

On 6/28/2017 at 5:52 PM, Mike36 said:

Not funny, and not needed.

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it.

I found the sentence structure humorous, that's all.

"Guy has been living down the street for 2 years and didn't know it."

It's not like he has dementia and I was making fun of that.

Seems to me he is in full possession of his faculties and on the ball as far as tuning an old MoPar.

Sheesh, lighten up.

• Like 4