Stock 5 speeds?

21 minutes ago, p24-1953 said:

What were the gear ratio for the larger trucks 5 speed transmissions?  Is it two granny gears? Or a over drive?

I believe there are both versions with the OD version being quite rare.

23 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I'm chasing down a casting # so we will see.  Wonder what the final gear ratio is for the overdrive version? Will a big truck transmission bolt up to a standard 230 bellhousing

• Like 1

Granny and Great Granny in my 49 2.5 ton.    I'd love to be able to find a 5 spd o/d transmission that would bolt in.  I think these are identified with 5th ( the o/d position) and 4th positions  being reversed.   5th(o/d) would be up towards the dash.  I know some school buses of the 60's used these.

I have a 1952 DT 5 speed OD in a 2-1/2 tonner. First gear is granny only.

Case will be stamped OD at the drain plug. I have only seen one OD and bought the truck. Not much power in OD.

It ( OD) was recommended for buyers that traveled mainly flatter terrain...this out of the DT salesman's manual.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Case will be stamped OD at the drain plug. I have only seen one OD and bought the truck. Not much power in OD.

It ( OD) was recommended for buyers that traveled mainly flatter terrain...this out of the DT salesman's manual.

Do you happen to know the final gear ratio?  I can't seem to find any info for it ...

I found the casting number of c39871.  Any idea what it is?

I think it may be a 4 speed :(

On 5/14/2017 at 8:41 PM, Young Ed said:

Edited by p24-1953

A New process 5 speed OD transmission whether a grinder box or syncro box is a large 200 lb transmission. It will have a stamp with OD next to the drain plug.

The grinder box will have two PTO six bolt covers and the Syncro box will have one PTO cover.

5 speed transmissions will only fit the heavier trucks.

• Like 1

If you have enough $ to spend, I'm sure you could install a NP 5 speed into a smaller truck. Problem is, the modifications to the frame  , cab and drilveline would be extensive. Would it be worth it? Probably not.  I have a 1941 military WC 1/2 ton closed cab, and have thought of installing a 5 speed in it.  I have access to a non-synchro. Direct 5 speed trans. and bellhousing set up which I could make work in my truck. Did some research and found out that all the cutting, removal, welding etc to make it work is just not worth it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Charlie Stephenson here, My B 4 YX has 5 forward gears and reverse is right and up, I think it a great granny transmission.  My B 3 RA 130 Needs a Drive shaft and thoughts on what to do ?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Dozerman51 said:

If you have enough $ to spend, I'm sure you could install a NP 5 speed into a smaller truck. Problem is, the modifications to the frame  , cab and drilveline would be extensive. Would it be worth it? Probably not.  I have a 1941 military WC 1/2 ton closed cab, and have thought of installing a 5 speed in it.  I have access to a non-synchro. Direct 5 speed trans. and bellhousing set up which I could make work in my truck. Did some research and found out that all the cutting, removal, welding etc to make it work is just not worth it. 

Charlie Stephenson  here, please give me a call or email , so we can talk.

Charlie Stephenson

3122 49th Street Des Moines, IA 50310-2660

515-276-7877

charlesj123@msn.com

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:08 PM, p24-1953 said:

I'm chasing down a casting # so we will see.  Wonder what the final gear ratio is for the overdrive version? Will a big truck transmission bolt up to a standard 230 bellhousing

Charlie Stephenson sure would like you to share that casting number, charlesj123@msn.com 515-276-7877

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

A New process 5 speed OD transmission whether a grinder box or syncro box is a large 200 lb transmission. It will have a stamp with OD next to the drain plug.

The grinder box will have two PTO six bolt covers and the Syncro box will have one PTO cover.

5 speed transmissions will only fit the heavier trucks.

Dodgeb4ya, Hi my friend.  Do you still have that Goodyear wheel 7.5V-29  1200 six hand hole 10 bolt ball and socket?  My 5 speed is for sure a grinder box with two PTO's and no OD stamp at the drain plug, should I think it's a Granny / Great Granny five speed or a fifth ov ?

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, Young Ed said:

Young Ed, I can count three versions. Granny/Great Granny non syncro - granny 2,3,4,5 Grinder & 1,2,3,4,5ov.  Am I close or been looken up at numbers to long ?