Getting ready to dive in over my head

48ply1stcar

Today I received my Moog CC850 springs from RockAuto, last week I received a kingpin set from Bernbaum.  Monday, I should receive my leaf-springs.

So when my friendly neighborhood repair guy said, "Great paint job, but you still have the suspension of  a $75 car"  he really didn't say that, that would have been the kind way of saying that I need to rebuild the front suspension and replace the leaf springs.  The leaf-springs are "S" shape and every bushing rattles in the front.

Never done this before, so here it goes starting Monday.

Yes Honey I hear the dryer buzzing------

Moog CC850.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah,but you are going to be in awe of the changes you have made once it's done.

48ply1stcar,

First thing you do—take a deep breath. If you’re still standing after that, all is good. Inventory for the task at hand: repair/shop manual(s), good/stable jackstands (not the cheap triangle-based jobbies), floor jack, wheel chocks, spring compressor, tools you’ll need, light(s), grease, bailing wire (to hold up the spindles so you don’t snap the brake hoses), blanket/quilt/something comfortable to sit/lay on, beverage (non-alcohol, that comes later when you’ve successfully completed this project), patience, patience, and maybe a little more patience (depending upon how intimidated you are at this point), and confidence (because you CAN do this!!!). Safety first—so I always take a marine air-horn with me under the car in case something untoward happens, I blast it and my wife comes runnin’. I’ll be expecting a full/positive report in the near future. And, if you think you need good luck, here’s wishing that for you, too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

48ply1stcar,

Safety first—so I always take a marine air-horn with me under the car in case something untoward happens, I blast it and my wife comes runnin’. I’ll be expecting a full/positive report in the near future. And, if you think you need good luck, here’s wishing that for you, too.

I REALLY like the idea behind that one,and I will be buying one tomorrow.

Not that it is likely to do me any good. I live up a dirt road on an island,my closest neighbor is over a mile away,and I work inside a shop that is closed all the time because I have AC and heat in there. Still,there might be somebody passing by right at the time I need help that could hear it if I had it.

When I go under my car I place it on jackstands and then also slide cement blocks and then some 2X4s over them so I have double protection.  If a car comes down an airhorn probably wont help you as you may be to dead by then.  Wondering how much those Moog springs will help.  Let the board know.  If they help alot I may do that too.  Are you going to add new double action shocks too ?

Edited by dale
addition

22 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I REALLY like the idea behind that one,and I will be buying one tomorrow.

Not that it is likely to do me any good. I live up a dirt road on an island,my closest neighbor is over a mile away,and I work inside a shop that is closed all the time because I have AC and heat in there. Still,there might be somebody passing by right at the time I need help that could hear it if I had it.

Guess you really need- Help I have Fallin' Buttons to hang around your neck. That way when the car is smashing you the button will send help instead of the coroner! :eek:

DJ

Gentlemen,

I’m living proof (emphasis on “living”), that God keeps his eye on fools, and on more than one occasion, He’s given me His undivided attention. As such—I ain’t dead, yet. I’ve had more than one car come down on me, tho’. Once, I was pinned in the drive-shaft tunnel. Another time, my foot was pinned when a jack-stand tipped over, and had it not been for it laying in position, the car would’ve come all the way down to the pavement, and that could’ve been that for having two feet. The marine air-horn is what summoned help to extricate me from my predicaments. If the car comes crashing down to the floor, granted—the air-horn won’t help. But, in a less drastic situation, it’s better than nothing . . .

Yep, always use two forms of support. I use jackstands with the weight of the car down on them plus my floor jack to back them up. Never had a car come down on me and don't want one to.

Take your time.  I acomplished all of these jobs on my D24.  Rear springs easier than front.

Front-end work was aided by borrowed Miller Tools from Rich Hartung another member of this site. 

Good luck

Post Pix.

Rear springs were pretty easy to install actually.  Air tools are very helpful for this activity.  Now the front suspension replacement isn't terrible, but takes a bit more patience.  You will be taking apart stuff that most likely hasn't been touched for 70 years. 

You are using the kingpin set from bernbaum, i am interested in your experience with this kit because i have to order a kingpin set :)

succes, keep us informed and pics if possible.

I too use double protection. I always release the car rest fully on the stands then just snug the jack or pully, Finally I then do all I can to shake the car off the stands, that assures me the stands are fully loaded, not on a slippery edge. I fully disassembled my 54 suburban frontvsuspension, it's not that difficult to do. Wishing you well.