Wiper base&vent window disassembly

Jakub

Hello;

I'm restoring '48 Plymouth P15 Convertible. Right now, I'm slowly doing the metal job and sending parts to re-chrome them, and well, I have some trouble.

First of all, I don't know, how to disassemble wiper base - the part with small chain-transmission in it. I've already removed the outer wheel & arm connecting to wiper motor but don't know how to remove inner one. Any ideas? Is the axis simply screwed in the "wheel"  (in fact, only way that I can imagine it, but maybe wrong)?

Second problem- how to remove went window from it's frame? I mean lower mount- upper is simple, there are two screws, but lower? I don't have any idea.

Thanks;

Jakub

Jakub,

You have a chain in your wiper mechanism? We’ve got a ’46 Plymouth (not a convertible), and it has solid metal arms from each transmission to a central pivot point that the vacuum motor fits into, but no chain(s). Is that something specific to convertibles, or did Plymouth change the system from ’46 to ‘48?  

Well, my car was (badly) restored in mid 90s, so maybe someone changed it back then, for ones from different car?  I don't think that convertible would differ in any way, simply because it's in fact a coupe with no roof.

IMG_20170513_225334.jpg

Jakub,

I’m going to agree with you, since the transmissions on our car don’t look anything like the one in the photo. The ones on our car are straight shafts going thru the cowl below the windshield moulding. They go thru the hole from underneath the dashboard. There’s a tapered housing on the outside, and the whole shebang’s held together with a threaded ring that has a couple of notches on the top side. I took a die-grinder to an old socket, and altered it with two tabs that fit into the notches so I can hand-tighten it. The one you’re showing in the photo look like it could be from a ’40 Ford, but I can’t be certain, since the last time I worked on one of those when I was in under-grad school, back in the late-sixties/early-seventies. I wish I could be of more help to you, but I’m really stumped here.

Oh, knuckleharley, where are you??? Calling knuckleharley . . . . .

The wiper stand in the picture is correct and used  on convertibles and I understand now woodies too. On mine I took the chain off and left the inner sprocket alone and sent out the rest for plating intact. It turned out fine. The chain looks original also.  As for removing the window frame from the door there is a bolt and spring that tightens the window and frame so it stays in place when opened part way and another one also.  You can get to these from inside the door. Make sure to make a drawing as there are some other parts in there with the spring that regulate the opening of the window.

Edited by dale
added