Any experience about?

I ask if you have any experience about to put fuel filter between carburetor and fuel pump.Is this procedure possible to cause a bad functioning of the engine when in 2nd and 3rd shifting?Thanks.

Claro que no. Se puede poner un filter de bastante talle antes o dispues del bomba. De vez en cuando a mi me gusta poner uno antes y despues!

La unica manera que puede functionar mal es si hay un restriction en la linea o si su filter no es bastante grande

Thanks guys.But my friend(mechanic) thinks that my only fuel filter between pump and carb is causing air leak.I am suspecting too that my problem is my distributor vacuum chamber copper lining.I re-did the ends of the copper lining.My problem is when I begin to climb a simple road in 3rd shifting it begin to faults.Do you understood me?My pump and carb 591844e1c5d81_Imagem1029.jpg.a86ea30b1590af9af50f20ed1cc12c9c.jpgis ok.

If it's clamped properly I see no reason it can suck air, but is that a 1/4" or 5/16 filter?  I prefer the metal style double male filters, not a fan of plastic is a hot environment, even that high up.

if your sucking air, more likely vacuum line or carb base gasket

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

If it's clamped properly I see no reason it can suck air, but is that a 1/4" or 5/16 filter?  I prefer the metal style double male filters, not a fan of plastic is a hot environment, even that high up.

if your sucking air, more likely vacuum line or carb base gasket

The hose is 7mmx11mm or 9/32"x7/16".

i don't  think a filter  can suck air on the pressure side of pump ,  that would be leak .Ha Ha.  If you  a problem at  top of second  it is usually  a fuel volume issue  , a dirty filter, low float level   ,  air leak in suction line,  clogged suction line ,   fuel pump.. Did the motor stall?.  Not a big  fan of  fuel filter on suction side.   Closer to carburetor , I think is better.

• Like 1

1. You might have something restricting the fuel on the fuel line inside your tank.  2. A leaking fitting on the fuel line between the tank and the pump.  3. A bad fuel pump sucking air.  4. Look for a pinched fuel line.   Plus what has already been mentioned, float level incorrect, too small fuel filter, fuel filter dirty inside restricting flow.  Have you done a fuel pump pressure test?

Edited by Dennis46PU

32 minutes ago, Dennis46PU said:

1. You might have something restricting the fuel on the fuel line inside your tank.  2. A leaking fitting on the fuel line between the tank and the pump.  3. A bad fuel pump sucking air.  4. Look for a pinched fuel line.   Plus what has already been mentioned, float level incorrect, too small fuel filter, fuel filter dirty inside restricting flow.  Have you done a fuel pump pressure test?

1.I always is checking the brackets in the plastic hose 2.there is no fitting between tank and pump 3.My pump is pumping well 4.there is no pinched line 5.No float level incorrect,because my PU already ran very well,including in 2nd and 3rd shifting.

On 13/05/2017 at 11:49 PM, Radarsonwheels said:

Claro que no. Se puede poner un filter de bastante talle antes o dispues del bomba. De vez en cuando a mi me gusta poner uno antes y despues!

La unica manera que puede functionar mal es si hay un restriction en la linea o si su filter no es bastante grande

591b7fcccbd12_vazo001.jpg.55c551c1a15d360e3c589c235f2a58c5.jpgThe rate of flow is the same in S1 and S2.I will try this major  filter.

16.Mai.17 018.jpg

Howdy

Your math is better than my spanish! 

I have increased fuel lines from 5/16 inch to 3/8 inch on high rpm bored stroked motors, but I'm not sure if I ever sustained high rpms enough to really need it.

I don't see how a 2-3 shift would reveal a fuel problem? If there is a restriction in the  fuel system I would expect to see it going lean at extended high rpm as the pump fails to keep the float bowl full. 

Can you do an A-B-A test-

A-  fuel filter installed (problem?)

B- line ran straight to the carb, no filter (no problem?)

A- put filter back on (problem returned?)

Good luck!

On 14/05/2017 at 4:05 PM, torqczar said:

i don't  think a filter  can suck air on the pressure side of pump ,  that would be leak .Ha Ha.  If you  a problem at  top of second  it is usually  a fuel volume issue  , a dirty filter, low float level   ,  air leak in suction line,  clogged suction line ,   fuel pump.. Did the motor stall?.  Not a big  fan of  fuel filter on suction side.   Closer to carburetor , I think is better.

It stalls climbing (running) in 3rd shifting,only in this situation.I am suspecting too to the distributor spring/weight and vacuum chamber.

I changed the filter and tried to start and saw a leak on the floor.I went under the pump and saw this leak in this screw with yellow color where the thick rubber damaged per gasoline action.Now I will choose another material,not rubber.

17.Mai.17 024.jpg

On 5/14/2017 at 2:45 PM, Fernando Mendes said:

1.I always is checking the brackets in the plastic hose 2.there is no fitting between tank and pump 3.My pump is pumping well 4.there is no pinched line 5.No float level incorrect,because my PU already ran very well,including in 2nd and 3rd shifting.

Hmmm... You have a fitting at the tank where your line connects and a fitting at the pump where your line connects.  Just because your pump is pumping well doesn't mean it's not leaking, right?  Looks like you found a problem.  I'd get rid of those plastic lines to BTW.  They don't do very well with heat.

Edited by Dennis46PU

56 minutes ago, Dennis46PU said:

Hmmm... You have a fitting at the tank where your line connects and a fitting at the pump where your line connects.  Just because your pump is pumping well doesn't mean it's not leaking, right?  Looks like you found a problem.  I'd get rid of those plastic lines to BTW.  They don't do very well with heat.

My fuel system only have fitting on outlet pump.The leak was in the pump because the rubber(5mm) damaged.I put another filter between tank and pump.My PU always had only one filter between pump and carburetor(since 1987).

DSCN4057.JPG

DSCN4058.JPG

DSCN4058.JPG

DSCN4065.JPG

DSCN4067.JPG

DSCN4067.JPG

Is your problem solved? I had a sediment bowl filter on my '53 B4C a while back and never had a problem. Do you have the heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the pump?  I also made an additional shield to help keep the metal line to the carb cooler. My problem was vapor lock. Hope this helps.DSC00100.jpg.28fb8a9f024b3547f5efe8d9c92ee3a9.jpg

10 hours ago, rekbender said:

Is your problem solved? I had a sediment bowl filter on my '53 B4C a while back and never had a problem. Do you have the heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the pump?  I also made an additional shield to help keep the metal line to the carb cooler. My problem was vapor lock. Hope this helps.DSC00100.jpg.28fb8a9f024b3547f5efe8d9c92ee3a9.jpg

Don't know yet.I will do the test today or tomorrow.Now I am observing if there is leak yet.Don't have heat shield.I don't know what means "vapor lock" and what it do(?).

Vapor Lock is when the fuel in the line boils and pushes a big bubble of steam into the line that won't allow liquid fuel through. 

This often happens parking after a drive- no more fresh gas is cooling off the line and then it will be hard to start. Alcohol makes it worse.

My truck is 12 volt so when my mechanical pump went south a cheap quiet electric fuel pump got put on. Easy reversable modification. 

Edited by Radarsonwheels
Typo