Heater control valve: need advice

Worden18

Hey fellas, my heater cv is leaking anti-freeze.  I did a search and saw this thread:  

I have a few questions.  Take a look at my pics.  There's 2 heater hoses attached to my control valve.  The one on the left (as you're looking at it) swings under the heater duct and connects to the passenger rear side of the engine on top.  The hose on the right goes to the back side of the heater core.  Looking at the valve in the attached link...is there just one hose?  Or am I looking at it wrong?  I can't make heads or tails of those pictures.  If its going in, it has to come out somewhere, right?  

Can you guys lead me in the right direction so I can put a replacement valve on?  No need for originality at this point, just want to get it going.  After I get the old one off I will check in to those rubber seals that were mentioned in another thread.  I haven't ever messed with one of these before, so I'm a bit confused :P

I couldn't find anything in my shop manual on the subject....

heater_hoses_at_control_valve.jpg

Edited by Worden18

14 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

page 289 of the repair manual (46-54) shows your hose routing and as you explained the manner they connects on yours...it matches the book...

Okay I will check this out; thank you :)

I was never able to get a kit for repairing the valve in my 51 Ply,  It is the same as yours.  I went to a local auto supply and found in their catalog of  heater controls, one that fits a Honda.  It is an inline plastic valve with an attachment for the control cable which I re routed slightly so the valve would sit out of sight under the heater  duct.   Somewhere I kept the box with the number of the valve,  I will look for it.  It was $60.

I put a metal plate over the original hole.

On my 54 I went to the parts store and asked for the Four Seasons Catalog...flipped through the pages till I found the animal that was almost identical.  the very location is such that when installed it is basically out of sight, out of mind and functionality is your only true concern.  Cable connected identically.  Ask for the catalog at your big box store, they can usually get anything in that book on an overnight..

If you decide not to mess with it I have a address and phone number (somewhere) of a guy in California that did an excellent job rebuilding mine.  I shipped it out and got it back within a week.  Just let me know.  

11 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

while I did not find where I had recorded the part number....here is the identical and still available and affordable control valve I used and the manner I transformed it to my vehicle.

2008_1005Image0003.JPG

2008_1005Image0004.JPG

2008_1005Image0005.JPG

2008_1005Image0006.JPG

Okay thanks for this info Plymouthy, I appreciate it.  Its definitely one of the options I'm looking at.  BTW, I don't have the manual you mentioned earlier; I have this one:

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=221735281457&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

It doesn't have the same info, but I think I got it figured out now anyway :)  Thanks again for your responses.

12 hours ago, dpollo said:

I was never able to get a kit for repairing the valve in my 51 Ply,  It is the same as yours.  I went to a local auto supply and found in their catalog of  heater controls, one that fits a Honda.  It is an inline plastic valve with an attachment for the control cable which I re routed slightly so the valve would sit out of sight under the heater  duct.   Somewhere I kept the box with the number of the valve,  I will look for it.  It was $60.

I put a metal plate over the original hole.

Thanks dpollo, I will keep this as an option as well.  For now I just bypassed the control valve so we could drive the car :D  Went for a nice cruise tonite with my wife and kids and our 2 Boxers.

10 hours ago, mmcdowel said:

If you decide not to mess with it I have a address and phone number (somewhere) of a guy in California that did an excellent job rebuilding mine.  I shipped it out and got it back within a week.  Just let me know.  

PM sent; thanks man