Oil strainer threads??

I'm having a brain fart...are the threads that are on the collar on the tube right hand threads or left? Not the fitting that screws into the block, but the fitting on the pickup tube itself.

Trying to drop my pan and it doesn't want to budge, but maybe it's been so long I'm forgetting its left hand

any help appreciated 

Well I got confused and was looking at the crossover tube, so I didn't have to touch that so far, but I think I'm going to be in trouble when I go to change my pan to front sump....but besides all that...good thing I'm doing this job, as this is how I found the pickup laying in the oil pan...and it was not apart of the pickup tube anymore.  I had a dent in my oil pan from sometime way back after I just rebuilt...guess I hit a bump too hard and the axle touched..but never knew this was how severe it was.

IMG_2314.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

It wasn't a real bad dent, that's why I was never that concerned about it...but with it being a rear sump industrial motor, it hangs pretty low in the pan, so it must have been enough to destroy it.

Ill have to check the fitment on the new stuff tonight...hopefully I can screw it in with the limited room I have

47 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

It wasn't a real bad dent, that's why I was never that concerned about it...but with it being a rear sump industrial motor, it hangs pretty low in the pan, so it must have been enough to destroy it.

Ill have to check the fitment on the new stuff tonight...hopefully I can screw it in with the limited room I have

Are you switching it to a front sump? 

The tube threads are RH thread. Changing sump location might mean a different pickup tube, though.

So your float was detached as well....you said it was lying at the bottom of the pan? These attach to the tube with just a cotter pin I think.

Vintage Power Wagons might have used floats available, that's my first guess.

IMG_9847.JPG

1 hour ago, John-T-53 said:

The tube threads are RH thread. Changing sump location might mean a different pickup tube, though.

So your float was detached as well....you said it was lying at the bottom of the pan? These attach to the tube with just a cotter pin I think.

Vintage Power Wagons might have used floats available, that's my first guess.

IMG_9847.JPG

also check the "for sale" section...never know what you find there cheaper! :)

I'm switching to front sump, my rear main was leaking so it was time...beyond time now I see this. It was laying in the bottom of the pan not attached, the cotter pin still in the tube.  I had to cut the original pick up tube to get the pan off, no way it would clear without pulling motor or dropping axle.  I have another tube/pickup and oil pan now, just not so sure my cross tube will work, but hopefully get back to it tonight or tomorrow 

I went the other way -  front sump to rear. As I remember, the cross over tubes were the same, but I still have the front sump tube. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, rekbender said:

If you need a front sump pick up tube and float, I have one. $30.00 + shipping.

DSC07486.jpg

DSC07487.jpg

please keep direct offer to sell parts off the main forum.  PM or "for sale" section please.  It's what we try to do here to keep things moving on the threads properly.

thanks!

1 hour ago, rekbender said:

I went the other way -  front sump to rear. As I remember, the cross over tubes were the same, but I still have the front sump tube. Good luck. 

Be careful...that's how this ended up happening.  With the stock spring stops, it can hit on a bad bump.  I have power steering rack and its close to interfering with the pan, so I need to swap this out anyway...then I can lose the extra blocks I have in to limit the springs 

4 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Be careful...that's how this ended up happening.  With the stock spring stops, it can hit on a bad bump.  I have power steering rack and its close to interfering with the pan, so I need to swap this out anyway...then I can lose the extra blocks I have in to limit the springs 

depends on application-the 39-47s use rear sumps