Distributor just won't turn

Mortimer452

Decided I needed to check timing but I just can't get the distributor to loosen.  Both bolts on the locking plate are finger-loose (that one on the underside of the distributor is a pain), but it just won't budge, not even a millimeter, it is rock solid locked in place.  

These two bolts on that plate on the bottom are all I need to loosen, right?  I have a reprint of the service manual but the photos are very poor quality, hard to follow sometimes with just a paragraph describing the process.

distrib.png

Bigger pipe wrench :D

You are correct though it should move if both of those bolts are loose.

Edited by Young Ed

33 minutes ago, Mortimer452 said:

OK, thanks - I was going to try the hammer method or a strap wrench but wanted to make sure it's *supposed* to move before I get to forceful with it

I would suggest at this point focus on removing it from the engine and then disassemble it and clean everything.

Turns out, I just needed a little more hammer.  Distributor pulled out easily once I broke 'er loose with a plastic mallet.

Vacuum advance is definitely no good, I can suck air pretty easily through the tube.  Already has new cap & rotor, will probably go ahead and replace points & condenser while I have it out.

• Like 1

Kanter is one source for vac advance units. Kind of pricey, but not may options out there. I got a couple from them last year and they work great. Be sure to order specifically for your distributor number.

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=3100&MakeName=Plymouth&MakeYear=1947&CategoryID=8500&ProductCode=380&Router=Catalog

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Kanter is one source for vac advance units. Kind of pricey, but not may options out there. I got a couple from them last year and they work great. Be sure to order specifically for your distributor number.

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=3100&MakeName=Plymouth&MakeYear=1947&CategoryID=8500&ProductCode=380&Router=Catalog

Thank you Merle.