C-series door sag

I did a bunch of searches, and even followed up and read the old imperial  service manual stuff from a link to that site, and no dice- 

I have fixed sagging driver's doors on almost every old car I've ever owned. Usually the fix is new hinge pins and bushings, sometimes bolts need loosening then re-tightening after an adjustment, occasionally some shimming or welding.

My C-series pickup has classic driver's door sag but the remedy is not obvious to me. Is there a common/accepted method?

As it stands I'm contemplating a mix of cutting shimming and re-welding the lower hinge- seems easier than messing with the can of worms involved in the body side hinge pocket which is solid but corroded and painted over. The door side of the hinge doesn't seem to have an adjustment.

thanks!

how about the block of wood trick .  small block of wood or a large socket put near the lower hing than slowly close the door on the block of wood go easy this is some thing that you take slow old body shop trick

• Like 2

Not a bad idea except I think the old sheetmetal structure would give before the beefy hinge bent. I might end up going orange hot on the hinge arm with OxA then lifting it in a controlled way from the rear edge with a jack. 

It's lucky that the truck isn't painted or anything and that door needs a new skin welded on the lower area- I can weld in new metal and get the gaps right after fitting it. 

I just can't believe there isn't an easy way to adjust and align the door I never worked on a car that you couldn't loosen adjust and re-tighten, or shim in a pinch!

Anyway, thanks for the response Gramps!

The three photos are from a 1938 - 1939 dodge truck service manual . In the one photo the guy is moving the rear door edge down at the bottom  by placing the wooden block near the top . To move the rear door edge up , the block of wood would be placed near the bottom of the front door and applying pressure as if to close the door .  

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

• Like 2

thanks for the photos. When I get in my truck I always make sure I don't pull my self in the truck by pulling on the door don't want to pull it out of alinement .

The wood block trick works. My truck had good doors till my dad backed out of the garage and caught the open door on the garage door frame. Mine still sags a little but is a ton better than it was. I'm sure it just takes time and practice to get the procedure down pat. I still need some fine tuning on mine.