what is the name of this part ?

Cudan

hi,

see pics.

on 1 of my rear springs this part is broken.

in mitchell motorpats book spring-group page 63 i believe it is part nr 7 but it is not listed on page 64 ?

who knows the name and partnr off this part so i can see if its available ?

achterveerdefect.jpg

achterveerpartsbook.jpg

achterveerpartsbooknr.jpg

Looks like a spring shackle to me,although Mother Mopar may well call it something else.

18 minutes ago, Cudan said:

no its not the shackle i mean, see the arrow i pointed to the part.

achterveerdefectpijl.jpg.199aaf54772276e6a038bcdda1c99986.jpg

Ok,I see it. Maybe I was having a senior moment. They are spring clamps,and you can buy them anywhere. The only thing that is critical is they be the same width as your springs.

If it were me,I would also consider putting new insulators between the leafs when putting it back together to eliminate squeaks..

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

believe that is referred to as the spring clip...usually four per leaf spring assembly

for quick reference these are for 1 3/4 width  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=leaf+spring+clip&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xleaf+spring+clip+1+3%2F4.TRS1&_nkw=leaf+spring+clip+1+3%2F4&_sacat=0

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

In my parts manual for my P-20, it's referenced as  a "Spring Clip". Sorry, don't have an image handy.  

I believe it to be a spring clamp. The shackle is attached to the spring eye at the left of the photo. The clamp’s purpose is (I think . . .) to keep the spring pack in place only if/when it’s removed from the car. When it’s in its position, the U-bolts and the plate the U-bolts go thru hold everything in place.  

Ooooops . . . . .  Sorry ‘bout that, knuckleharley—I didn’t see your response when I made mine. Sincerely didn’t intend to step on your toes. But, great minds in same channel . . .  And, I whole-heartedly agree with you about the spring inserts to keep it from squeaking.

20 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

believe that is referred to as the spring clip...usually four per leaf spring assembly

for quick reference these are for 1 3/4 width  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=leaf+spring+clip&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xleaf+spring+clip+1+3%2F4.TRS1&_nkw=leaf+spring+clip+1+3%2F4&_sacat=0

thanks guys for the answers, also for the link then i can order 4 new clips

Dan

What keeps the replacement leaf spring clips in position ? The original retainers look like they have a rivet going into a leaf to hold them in place . It seems as though the replacements could just slide or work down the spring to a more loose position . 

Jerry, the ones I've seen have been tightly crimped around the spring with the ends doubled into each other and seem to hold quite well...............

Cudan......I've also seen these clamps that use a bolt and can be undone/removed..........you could make your own  out of a piece of 1.75-2.00" ID U channel.......or '2"  square box tube......cut a piece of tube about 1" long, then cut one side of the tube off so you have a 2" high & wide channel........then drill a 5/16-3/8" hole either side and use a bolt from one side to the other to hold the clamp onto the spring...........I'd also be checking with a local suspension shop as these bolt and crimp/clamp on clips are or were a very common leaf spring item.................how is the front end going...............regards, andyd      

11 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

What keeps the replacement leaf spring clips in position ? The original retainers look like they have a rivet going into a leaf to hold them in place . It seems as though the replacements could just slide or work down the spring to a more loose position . 

I email the seller on ebay and here is his response ;     An OEM clip is typically riveted to the clip leaf. The quick clip style replacements are held in place purely by pressure. A C-clamp is used to tighten them down before the ears are folded over. A small piece of rubber is also recommended to go between the bottom of the clip and the leaf to isolate it from vibration, which can cause it to come loose over time. Hope this helps.

my e-bay posting was just one reference to the part...there are many style and types of material...I just got that return using the official parts book name and width of spring it will be used on.  You can try variations like substituting clip for clamp and find other like products.  These are not at all hard to fashion at home given you have at your very hand the actual dimension of the spring and the position of the clamp/clip so to fashion the bends (height) in a manner to provide superior clamping.  I have in the past made these...