FEF and a bent axle.

Well it seems I have a bent front axle. Before going out yesterday, I was looking at the tires and noticed the passenger side was unevenly worn. Driver side evenly worn and less worn. So today I swap the tires and we'll go for a few more years until I have to replace the rubber. And maybe at that point get the axle fixed. This sucks.

20170507_123303.jpg

20170507_123307.jpg

20170507_123311.jpg

I need a picture of your Truck six eleven hundred 20 tires. Charlie Stephenson

B 4 YA  fifth wheel B 3 RA eight foot dump five window cab with doors floor seat three window cab with doors floor seat.  Charlie Stephenson

9 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Well it seems I have a bent front axle. Before going out yesterday, I was looking at the tires and noticed the passenger side was unevenly worn. Driver side evenly worn and less worn. So today I swap the tires and we'll go for a few more years until I have to replace the rubber. And maybe at that point get the axle fixed. This sucks.

Thank you, seems that you are able to read thoughts beyond the continents … I was thinking about to write a post regarding that issue the next days, too.

My last front tires also showed heavy uneven wear on the outside. The new ones already shows considerable wear (after about 3000 Miles).

Toe-in is according to specification. Checked the camber. Should have 0° to 3/4° (1/4° preferred) according to my manual. My front axle has got 1° on the one side, about 1 1/2° on the other. It doesn’t show an obvious dent, but since the king pins itself and the king pin bores in the axle are in almost perfect condition, I think the axle must be dented.

I was thinking about correcting the angle by drilling larger bores for the king pin bushings and making new bushings, but so far I have still hesitated. I first would have to figure out how many material I had to remove. I don`t want to weaken the ends of the axle more than necessary …

Second is to bend the axle back to get the correct camber.

So my question is: Has anyone here ever corrected a slightly bended axle by bending it back ?

Aah and I agree, this really sucks ... :cool:

Edited by PT81Jan
Translation (hopefully) improved

The shops in my area that cater to bigger trucks can still handle straightening solid axles. My car happens to have a tubular axle and that gave the people at the place I took my car to some qualms but I was willing to accept the risk and they were able to properly straighten the axle (which should be done cold). All in all, it was not a big deal. Too an hour or so and did not cost a lot of money (I don't recall the exact cost and I had it done nearly 20 years ago so no doubt the prices have changed). Getting the axle straightened made a big difference in how the car handled, how much the tires were wearing, and was well worth it.

• Like 1

Thank you much TodFitch.  To straighten it cold or hot was the info I needed.  If it had to be done hot, I would be worried about to get back the correct strength by heat treatment. 

A good heavy truck shop can easily straighten the axle on the light 1 ton I-Beam axle to get it back to factory align-able specs.

Did it not get aligned when at the end of the restoration?

In my case it was not visible that the axle is bended and therefore the angles out of spec.  Got aware after, when the tires started to show wear. This is my first car/truck that I have restored. Should have checked this but wasn't even  thinking about that this could be not ok... 

The handling is not bad... But I do not have a comparison if it maybe could be much better ...

"Experience is the sum of all failures that someone has done..." ;)

Edited by PT81Jan

same here, FEF tracks straight as an arrow with no pull, steering while in motion is a 2 finger deal.  Only after miles has the issue shown itself.  I know FEF was in an accident at some point and I think this is the fallout (passenger side front spring perch bolts on not riveted, fan blade circle on back of rad, hood doesn't align as it should perfectly, etc).  Right now I swapped the tires and will just drive for a bit till I decide if the effort, time and money for a 500 mile a year truck.

I did quite a few back in the early seventies.  A lot of the trucks still ran I beam suspension.  Always done cold, the hardest part is handling and placing the hangers, bars and hydraulic rams needed.  Bending the axle back to correct would be the preferred  and correct method.  Trying to correct alignment with larger bores and new bushings honed at an angle for correction is a guessing game at best.

• Like 1