1951 230 Flathead 6 rebuild

51Meadowbrook

• 2 weeks later...

Things I have learned on this build: never trust the previous owners mechanical work or skills! I have found more mismatched bolts on this build than you can shake a stick at! Always submerge the oil pump in a can of oil to prime the pump and get all the air out of it! Don't buy parts from Rock auto! Take your time and don't rush your build! When pulling and installing an engine in these old cars go ahead and buy a longer square tubing pipe for your  engine hoist, you'll need the extra length to get past the front  radiator bracket! Once the engine is built and installed in the car don't rush to put the radiator in until your sure the engine will turn over! I had to drain my antifreeze and pull the radiator so I could hand turn the engine with a breaker bar several times to get the Mel oil to lube the moving parts good and turn easy! Last but not least don't sweat the small stuff! 

IMG_7572.JPG

• Like 1

Did you get a lot of incorrect or inferior low quality parts from Rock Auto? Please elaboate. So far my orders for '53 Windsor parts from Rock have been good. 

Thx. 

I'm glad you got your engine done. It should be very dependable and give many miles of smiles. I haven't bought anything for my Plymouth from Rockauto but have for other vehicles. Never had an issue.   Really there shouldn't be any surprises as you know the brand your getting up front.

So what's the next big project for your car?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Did you get a lot of incorrect or inferior low quality parts from Rock Auto? Please elaboate. So far my orders for '53 Windsor parts from Rock have been good. 

Thx. 

When I ordered a throw out bearing they didn't specify that it was for a regular manual transmiassion instead of a fluid drive . And going by the pic they had posted it looked like the right one but wasn't . There were a couple of other parts I orederd early on in the build that were wrong but I can't remember what they were after purchasing so many parts from different places! 

Rock Auto has been very good to me.

• Like 1

On August 23, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Jerry Roberts said:

Did you let them know that you had fluid drive when you ordered and that you would need a different bearing than usual ? 

I knew that I had fluid drive , but Rockauto showed 3 different throw out bearings 2 with the sleeve and one with just the bearing. The problem was that the description of all 3 bearings was very vague . And all 3 were for regular 3 speed manual transmissions with out the fluid drive but it never said anything about that. It was very confusing

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's the brakes  because  the cars not pulling down like it's trying to move . I think when I had the fluid drive setting out on my front porch with the clutch and pressure plate still attached it got moisture in it and seized up maybe some surface rust, keeping it from engaging.

3 minutes ago, 51Meadowbrook said:

I don't think it's the brakes  because  the cars not pulling down like it's trying to move . I think when I had the fluid drive setting out on my front porch with the clutch and pressure plate still attached it got moisture in it and seized up maybe some surface rust, keeping it from engaging.

Does the fluid coupling have the proper amount of fluid in it. If it's low it won't engage 

2 hours ago, 51Meadowbrook said:

Boy do I feel like a goober I had the clutch linkage adjusted too much that's why it wouldn't engage I just did it way back tightened it down and took her around the block she runs like a dream 

Wow, congratulations!  What a feeling, right?