1951 230 Flathead 6 rebuild

51Meadowbrook

Well I've decided to just bite the bullet and rebuild my 230 engine! Yesterday we unhooked the  transmission and pulled the Engine wiinimal trouble! No broken bolts or stuck nuts so that was good! I am looking for a crank shaft pulley now so if anybody knows of one let me know. My Buddy Ted helping me pull the motor

image.jpeg

Edited by 51Meadowbrook

Nice!  I just did that very thing to my 51 Meadowbrook.  Next week I'll be finishing it up and then I'll be ready to cruise!  Good luck on your rebuild and have fun along the way :)

• Like 2

We tore into the engine and so far we're pleased with what we've found! The only damage so far seems to be to the rod bearings for the number 3 and 6 Pistons. The timing chain appears to be new as well as the timing gear. More to follow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 51Meadowbrook
Add content
  • Like 1

If it ran for long  with bearings like that, it must have been noisy ! What usually happens at that stage is one half overlaps the other and the  engine seizes up  tight.   The crankshaft will have sustained damage too and will need to be reground or replaced.  I would replace the connecting rods which held these bearings as the bearing seat will be out of specs too.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

I haven't seen a "P" head since the Warshaw wars..........Before you ask the head is neither rare nor special except to one person.

image.jpg

The replacement engine in my 46 has the "P " cast into the head.  Mine is a very rare performance edition. It's so rare...well...it's just really rare...

• Like 2

I remember that time.........didn't the P stand for Performance and the numbers were the horsepower rating..........lol...........should I go stand in my corner now.........or wait to be told?.......lol...............andyd 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

I think Warshaw sold the Plymouth (or at least advertised it) on eBay a few years ago.  He's now a big-time classic car parts vendor on eBay....'American Classic' parts or something to that effect.

he advertises in the plymouth bulletin too

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

So what's the plan? Are you going back 100% stock or are you going to kick it up a notch?

I'm gonna keep it stock . All my friends are telling me to drop in a v8 and automatic but I love the ol gal just the way she is! 

• Like 5

Ok I removed the water pump to find this!! It looks like a sleeve in the water jacket and a hole on the right side.  The hole on the right side you can see the piston cylinder. There's no water going into the oil I'm thinking patch the spot on the left with epoxy putty and grind it smooth. But it really doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Any thoughts??

image.jpeg

Edited by 51Meadowbrook
Added content

On 5/11/2017 at 7:15 PM, 51Meadowbrook said:

Got the crank shaft pulled out and Pistons removed . The main bearings look like they're in pretty good shape! The Piston pins are in good shape too. Next to pull the cam shaft tomorrow to check the cam bearings. I'll be taking the  crank shaft to the machine shop tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I sure your aware that the rods are off set just a reminder..