51Meadowbrook

1951 230 Flathead 6 rebuild

59 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited) · Report post

Well I've decided to just bite the bullet and rebuild my 230 engine! Yesterday we unhooked the  transmission and pulled the Engine wiinimal trouble! No broken bolts or stuck nuts so that was good! I am looking for a crank shaft pulley now so if anybody knows of one let me know. My Buddy Ted helping me pull the motor

image.jpeg

Edited by 51Meadowbrook

Nice!  I just did that very thing to my 51 Meadowbrook.  Next week I'll be finishing it up and then I'll be ready to cruise!  Good luck on your rebuild and have fun along the way :)

medium_jon and 51Meadowbrook like this

ID: 6   Posted (edited) · Report post

We tore into the engine and so far we're pleased with what we've found! The only damage so far seems to be to the rod bearings for the number 3 and 6 Pistons. The timing chain appears to be new as well as the timing gear. More to follow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 51Meadowbrook
Add content
Worden18 likes this

If it ran for long  with bearings like that, it must have been noisy ! What usually happens at that stage is one half overlaps the other and the  engine seizes up  tight.   The crankshaft will have sustained damage too and will need to be reground or replaced.  I would replace the connecting rods which held these bearings as the bearing seat will be out of specs too.

thebeebe5 and 51Meadowbrook like this

ID: 8   Posted (edited) · Report post

I haven't seen a "P" head since the Warshaw wars..........Before you ask the head is neither rare nor special except to one person.

image.jpg

Edited by Frank Elder
T120 likes this

50 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

I haven't seen a "P" head since the Warshaw wars..........Before you ask the head is neither rare nor special except to one person.

image.jpg

The replacement engine in my 46 has the "P " cast into the head.  Mine is a very rare performance edition. It's so rare...well...it's just really rare...

Frank Elder and thebeebe5 like this

ID: 10   Posted (edited) · Report post

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!  No!!!  No!!! Not again!!!  You are telling me 1 guy has 2 p heads he wasn't even looking for when so many of us have none???  Nooooooooooo!!!

What next OEM radiator caps?

Edited by greg g
Frank Elder and Tones52 like this

I remember that time.........didn't the P stand for Performance and the numbers were the horsepower rating..........lol...........should I go stand in my corner now.........or wait to be told?.......lol...............andyd 

classiccarjack and Frank Elder like this

I think Warshaw sold the Plymouth (or at least advertised it) on eBay a few years ago.  He's now a big-time classic car parts vendor on eBay....'American Classic' parts or something to that effect.

18 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

I think Warshaw sold the Plymouth (or at least advertised it) on eBay a few years ago.  He's now a big-time classic car parts vendor on eBay....'American Classic' parts or something to that effect.

he advertises in the plymouth bulletin too

Got the crank shaft pulled out and Pistons removed . The main bearings look like they're in pretty good shape! The Piston pins are in good shape too. Next to pull the cam shaft tomorrow to check the cam bearings. I'll be taking the  crank shaft to the machine shop tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

So what's the plan? Are you going back 100% stock or are you going to kick it up a notch?

I'm gonna keep it stock . All my friends are telling me to drop in a v8 and automatic but I love the ol gal just the way she is! 

ID: 21   Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok I removed the water pump to find this!! It looks like a sleeve in the water jacket and a hole on the right side.  The hole on the right side you can see the piston cylinder. There's no water going into the oil I'm thinking patch the spot on the left with epoxy putty and grind it smooth. But it really doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Any thoughts??

image.jpeg

Edited by 51Meadowbrook
Added content

On 5/11/2017 at 7:15 PM, 51Meadowbrook said:

Got the crank shaft pulled out and Pistons removed . The main bearings look like they're in pretty good shape! The Piston pins are in good shape too. Next to pull the cam shaft tomorrow to check the cam bearings. I'll be taking the  crank shaft to the machine shop tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I sure your aware that the rods are off set just a reminder..

I belive that behind the water pump is the water distribution tube. You will want to remove and most likely replace it. 

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong. 

51Meadowbrook likes this

1 minute ago, Chazz 47 said:

I belive that behind the water pump is the water distribution tube. You will want to remove and most likely replace it. 

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong. 

Is that something a machine shop needs to die?

I have read where some have used a slide hammer to pull it out. I know that there were some threads about it. I'm not at the point of rebuilding my engine yet so I can't speak from experience.