Fuel pump problems

Chewie

Well after sorting the gear changing problems of the desoto I have been driving it daily.... 

But now the fuel pump is spitting fuel out of the little hole on the side

I have changed it for the one of my 1950 Plymouth and still the same thing happens 

Any ideas to what's wrong 

11 minutes ago, Chewie said:

The one off the Plymouth didn't do this till I put it on the desoto 

Do you have a gas filter between the gas tank and the fuel pump?

If not,you need one. If you have one already,get a better one.

I would also try draining a little gas out into a clear jar so you can see if there is any trash in your gas once it has settled. Don't siphon it out,drain it out by disconnecting your fuel line that goes to your fuel pump.

11 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Do you have a gas filter between the gas tank and the fuel pump?

If not,you need one. If you have one already,get a better one.

I would also try draining a little gas out into a clear jar so you can see if there is any trash in your gas once it has settled. Don't siphon it out,drain it out by disconnecting your fuel line that goes to your fuel pump.

The gas is clean and free from trash 

Mind you the Plymouth one was fill of trash so I reckon that's toast as well

Looks like I'll need a new pump or rebuild kit then 

Why does this always happen when you have a person coming to look at buying your car.........

Wow just had a look on eBay pretty expensive them pumps postage is out of this world and I need two plus a carb rebuild kit for the desoto 

I could put a 6v electric pump on but that's not really the best I prefere original 

Anybody know where I can get some rebuild kits from?

I got a new (not a rebuilt) fuel pump for our ’46 Plymouth from Rock Auto for $59.79, plus $13.17 for shipping, for a total of $72.96. Received in only a 2-3 days. Check them out for your Desoto.

Oooops . . . that may not work the best for you. I just noticed that you're in Great Britain. Sorry for the faulty reply--my bad . . .

Edited by DrDoctor

7 hours ago, Chewie said:

Wow just had a look on eBay pretty expensive them pumps postage is out of this world and I need two plus a carb rebuild kit for the desoto 

I could put a 6v electric pump on but that's not really the best I prefere original 

Anybody know where I can get some rebuild kits from?

Check the NAPA web site for a fuel pump.  Got one for my 41 Chrysler from them just last fall.

• 1 month later...
On 07/05/2017 at 1:36 AM, DrDoctor said:

I got a new (not a rebuilt) fuel pump for our ’46 Plymouth from Rock Auto for $59.79, plus $13.17 for shipping, for a total of $72.96. Received in only a 2-3 days. Check them out for your Desoto.

Oooops . . . that may not work the best for you. I just noticed that you're in Great Britain. Sorry for the faulty reply--my bad . . .

Damn I wished notifications had work

I just brought3 for 80 dollars each plus 51 dollars postage 

Thanks for the info