Very disapointed......

BobK

15 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

T120,

While I’ll admit to being an “old guy”, with some significant mileage on me (I might add . . .), I’ll have to confess to not knowing the particular thing (Kumbaya) that you’re referring to. I’m going to go out on a limb here, and make the guess that it’s a song? Yes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbaya#In_politics

When it comes to the information on the internet, I have learned to take it all with a grain of salt.  Basic information can be erroneous, mix in some opinions and then comes the conflicts.  I have recently dealt with Echo, Stihl, Subaru, John Deere and New Holland parts guys working on several pieces of not-new equipment and confusion led to exasperation with them because what I needed did not match their catalogs...I had to rely on my diplomacy skills to keep them motivated to help me out because they wanted to throw their hands up and walk away, and eventually we determined that in each case there were errors in their online catalogs that we were able to correct on our end to get the right parts to get this equipment back in the field.

These parts guys are just like most mechanics in that they are helpful up to a point, then their less-than-outgoing personalities begin to re-emerge and they start to shut down in some form of frustration.  They aren't bad ppl, but most guys fall into this category in that continued questioning is an implied second-guessing of abilities that can be insulting to one's machismo.  Some things just are not up for debate, it either works or does not work...that sort of thing.

One of the most important things I have learned from using the internets is that arguing online is a complete waste of time:  ppl are bull-headed and will not change their minds, no matter how well-crafted the attempted persuasion or the presentation of facts.  So whenever I spot someone using inflammatory or argumentative language, I spend my time doing something else, but responding to the bait ain't gonna be it :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
  • Like 5

On 5/8/2017 at 1:12 AM, nonstop said:

I've been following this thread, and the one about the transmissions. 

I see it this way - I follow a couple other forums for mainstream cars/trucks. They are generally cordial and respectful. With that said, You don't need to be overly creative when working on them because there are MILLIONS of them and parts are readily available. I am relatively new to 50's cars. While mine is mostly stock, I really enjoy seeing parts adapted from newer cars to these older cars to keep them on the road and/or make them safer. Let's face it - these cars are older, and on top of it, they're not a Ford or Chevy, so it's just that much harder to get parts. We need to be creative at times and adapt other parts from other makes (sounds similar to the basis of hot rodding).

What I'm seeing here is too much bickering, which is becoming stifling for some of these great ideas people are putting out! There's a lot of GREAT ideas that others would have never thought of! Unless it's inherently dangerous or could hurt someone, people should lay off.

There are times I would like to post, but hesitate because I'm not sure of the reaction. We should all be posting more, because the more information out there will help the next person. 

We should just be happy for each other that there are people keeping these cars on the road!

The last line in this post by nonstop says it all in my opinion. These cars from the past with their style were and still are a pleasure to have and drive.

John R

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 0:26 PM, dale said:

You have to remember the old old timers who really know these cars are naturally cranky and should be given some leeway...:)

Wish I previously knew this. 

An old wife's tale that people get grumpier as they age.  We just have had our fill of BS and stupidity and no longer care to engage the filter between our brain and our mouth.   lol

• Like 4

I disagree—For 32 years I took tons of crap from patients who, rather than tell me what their symptoms were so I could determine just what their problem was, would tell me exactly what their disease was (what med school did they go to???) because they had a friend who had that disease. Frustrating!!! But, that doesn’t give me license to be obnoxious now that I’m older, retired or not. There are no age limits on civility.

• Like 4

I don't get grumpier, I just feel grumpier.  

I think I have mellowed, less self-absorbed and more considerate of what other people must be going through.  (In my estimation, I'm almost perfect by now.)  Our kids did bussing and waitering in their early careers, so we make a point of tipping generously, based on the total, before the old age discounts.  (These people have to be on their feet all day, waiting on cranky people.  Have pity.)

We greet the greeter at the big super grocery store.  We have a new Kroger Marketplace, where the employees have been trained to greet us.  That's good.  They are people, and they are there to help us, so when they do, (Where are the marshmallows?) we thank them.  It just makes life easier and better. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo

Book:  this forum is much like looking at an old car to restore, the best parts are the hardest to find or restore, but without them the car would be boring.  I too have issues with my octogenarian friends, but we didn't make it this far by being politically correct!!

On 5/8/2017 at 3:26 PM, dale said:

You have to remember the old old timers who really know these cars are naturally cranky and should be given some leeway...:)

I learned about cars from cranky old guys. I just thought 'the crankier, the smarter.....'

I`m not getting older i`m getting better .... but ain`t that the way that it should be .... I`m not getting older i`m getting wiser with my years .... so you might as well get use to me .

This very thread is a classic example of the average forum.  For the most part it can be compared with a Nascar race.  It just goes around in circles, has your usual leaders with the pack comfortably bring up the rear and all is well till someone runs into another and crashes into a wall at 200MPH.  Then the entire grandstand is on its feet....

• Like 2

I have several classics and am a member of forums for each of them. In some cases more than one. I must say by far this site is the best. It has the typical curmudgeons but even those are nowhere as bad as some of the other sites I use. My goal when visiting a site is to obtain information that will help me get/keep my vehicals going while when I can, help others do the same. 

As one of those Chrysler people who have crashed this site, I am thankful that most here don't mind and are willing to assist because I have yet to find an exclusive site to my old Windsor that is as good as this one and that has the volume of activity.   As an example, I also have a '73 D100. There are a few sites that have sections for theses trucks but none that I can ask a question on in the middle of a job and get multiple answers in just a day. 

This is is a public site,  be like a duck and let things roll of your back and be glad that there is a place you can turn to for help with 60+ year old cars and trucks. Without it many of the great cars I see photos of on here would be nothing but rusting hulks. 

• Like 10

White Spyder,

I agree with 98% of what you’ve said. I question the other 2%—I don’t view a 40-something Chrysler as an outsider here. it’s a Chrysler product, and I tho’t all older flat-head engined Chrysler products were welcomed/included, ie: not just Plymouth and/or Dodge, but Desoto, Chrysler, Imperial, Chrysler-built trucks, etc. Therefore, you’re not an outside, but rather “one of the bunch”, with a car that’s a lot bigger, heavier, and roomier . . .

On 5/11/2017 at 10:24 AM, DrDoctor said:

White Spyder,

I agree with 98% of what you’ve said. I question the other 2%—I don’t view a 40-something Chrysler as an outsider here. it’s a Chrysler product, and I tho’t all older flat-head engined Chrysler products were welcomed/included, ie: not just Plymouth and/or Dodge, but Desoto, Chrysler, Imperial, Chrysler-built trucks, etc. Therefore, you’re not an outside, but rather “one of the bunch”, with a car that’s a lot bigger, heavier, and roomier . . .

Thank you. 

Regarding the written word, there is another aspect not covered here.

Not all of us have English as our first language and trying to express grammatically correct can be challenging, especially if you are translating directly from your mother tongue or using Google translate (which never corrects the grammar)

Our sentences will typically be informative but short and therefore may seem cold and negative.

You cannot imagine how long it took me to write this post :D

• Like 3

I try to re-read what I have written, before I hit the send button.  Surprising what I find, not just typos, but words and expressions that could be taken wrong.  We can't take back the spoken word, but we have a chance to amend the written word, before we hit the sned send  button.   The spoken word fades into the ether, but the written word is there forever. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Regarding the written word, there is another aspect not covered here.

Not all of us have English as our first language and trying to express grammatically correct can be challenging, especially if you are translating directly from your mother tongue or using Google translate (which never corrects the grammar)

Our sentences will typically be informative but short and therefore may seem cold and negative.

You cannot imagine how long it took me to write this post :D

And if you know both languages fairly well, when you see what Google does with it, it is often laughable - so wrong that you cannot even make out the meaning in your own mother tongue (what was originally written in your second or third language).  

• Like 1

I can truly relate to the foreign language situation described, as German was my first language. However, as an “eternal optimist”, I think/hope that most people here take that into consideration, and don’t take English-grammatical errors literally. I, too, make grammatical errors, and you have no idea the amount of typos my missives have. My remedy—I type my inputs here into Word first, let that fix it, copy the repaired text into the submission box, click the “remove formatting X”, and then click the submit button. For an electronically-challenged aged-flatulent (aka: old fart) 19th century soul who’s being drug into the 21st century kicking and scratching, that’s pretty computer-sophisticated. Regards . . . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

I can truly relate to the foreign language situation described, as German was my first language. However, as an “eternal optimist”, I think/hope that most people here take that into consideration, and don’t take English-grammatical errors literally. I, too, make grammatical errors, and you have no idea the amount of typos my missives have. My remedy—I type my inputs here into Word first, let that fix it, copy the repaired text into the submission box, click the “remove formatting X”, and then click the submit button. For an electronically-challenged aged-flatulent (aka: old fart) 19th century soul who’s being drug into the 21st century kicking and scratching, that’s pretty computer-sophisticated. Regards . . . . .

Yes very smart and exactly what I always do, but sometime Word comes up with an alert "consider revising" , and leaves no alternatives or suggestions.