Very disapointed......

BobK

I'm very disappointed in the actions of a couple members on this forum, maybe in the moderators as well. Both parties have good information to share, but.......,. why can't they just get along?

I know one thing, when or if I do my trans conversion, I'm not telling anyone here how I did it. I might get my head chewed off.

It's almost as bad as the Ford guys and Chevy guys arguing over who is number 2. Here on this forum, we all know who is number 1.

• Like 4

Bob, just read all the posts on the Trans Conversion thread and I agree completely with you, its a shame that people take things to heart so much when really all is required is to acknowledge that some of us have a differing view and as a result of our own experiences a differing way of doing things........for example here in Oz all except a very small number of cars using the T5 trans use the Ford pattern box, this is behind both Ford AND GM products and all are the standard bucket seat style box with the rear mounted shifter........when I wanted to put a T5 in my 1941 Plymouth I made various inquiries here in Oz and the US and ended up importing an S10 T5 with the front mount shifter from the US..........at the time it was the only way I knew to get an overdrive box with that shifter position at a reasonable price........since then I have discovered by various threads and posts that there are quite a few alternatives to the T5 gearbox, some I'd consider, others maybe not but without all the posts and info they contain I would have been none the wiser...............its a shame that there is this bickering and such.........we all are mopar fans at heart so I suppose it is what it is...........whatever way you decide to do your car is your discision so I hope it works out for you, and I for one would be happy to hear how you go, mate.........regards from Oz.......Andy Douglas        

• Like 2

Unfortnately 4 or 5 individuals currently are generating 90-95% of the reported content to the mods.  I usually just let them cool down for a day or two but this group keeps going back to old bad habits. I'm pretty patient but if this behavior continues the entire group will get the permanent boot, including accounts deleted and their ip addresses blocked from accessing the site. It takes two to tango ( or in this case  4-5) and we are about at the end of the dance. You know who you are and take this as your last and only warning. 

• Like 6

An Op/Ed re: Disappointments: I commend the Webmaster for his response. An enviable position here he doesn’t have, but he has the backbone to stand up for what’s right. Opinions are like certain aspects of anatomy, and I’ll stop right there for obvious reasons.

Relatively speaking, I’m rather new to this website. I, too, have been the victim of rancor and false accusations, and my solution is to simply block those individuals I find offensive so I don’t have to deal with them any further.

There’s an old adage that “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”. The direct analogy to that adage is that there’s more than one way to solve any mechanical challenge, and if a person’s happy with the method utilized to solve the mechanical challenge, that’s wonderful. However, that doesn’t mean that the method employed is wrong, unless the method utilized has been patented, and/or copyrighted, in which case the owner of said patent/copyright has the right of recourse. That being said, I doubt if any process for any task on these old cars is patented, and/or copyrighted, so the right of recourse isn’t an option, and therefore obnoxious ranting and raving is unproductive, inappropriate, and unacceptable.

In conclusion, if anyone takes exception to my above-remarks, instead of going of the deep end, just take the simple, and very effective tactic—just block me, and your problem is solved. My “Thank-You” to those who do contribute in the spirit intended!!!

• Like 1

The interactions here have for the most part been kind & considerate.  That is one of the reasons why I stopped visiting another old MoPar site, and visit here nearly every day, even if I don't find anything of particular interest that day, and even though I don't often contribute (mainly because my project is on hold, and my experience is rather old).  Some car forums are widely known for their rancor and spite.  Let's not be that sort of people.  The issues discussed here are not matters of eternal destiny.

• Like 2

I agree with Plymouthcran Brook.  I hesitate to ask help anymore because I know I won't pass muster and get past certain folks on here.  So I just watch and wait to see if my questions are answered by somebody else.  I will say that this site is about the only place in my life that can make me lose my cool "in public."  Criticism is fine if it has a constructive purpose. But it sounds very malicious for some.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bingster said:

How do you block someone and how does it work?

quickest way is to hover over the users name, this will pop up their profile link, at bottom center is the ignore link that will allow you go to your ignore page to add that person...you may select any of the four methods to ignore a person or chose all four....

9 hours ago, Bingster said:

Yours is a typical reply that we're all talking about. Apparently we all can't get along, and this issue has been raised before but it always seems to crop up again. I ask you why.

Well, if you're asking me...(how do you make words with italic script?) why? I would say it's peoples egos. Not knowing when to or wanting to stop/get the last word in.

Some of it can be attributed to the medium, the typed word. There is no intonation, no facial cues or any other form of non verbal communication. (nod nod wink wink for example)  I thought there were some valid points being brought up in the thread in question, others didn't see it that way. Some want to battle it out while others will just take their marbles and go home. Why can't we simply exchange information and ask questions without fear of derogatory rebuttal, real or imagined? This is the internet, I try to take it as it comes. If someone tells me to 'get a life', for example, I could just, well, the possibilities are endless. I mostly choose to just let it slide and press on regardless. I've seen so many posts and replies that folks have obviously misunderstood or not entirely read all the posts and offer 'off the mark' comments. Why get all bent out of shape about it? As much as I like this site and all the invaluable information here and held by so many of the members, I have a lot more important and real life issues to deal with that cause real angst than to worry about some of this stuff.

Me? I like to make wise cracks and try to leave people laughing. I'm not always successful but I keep trying. And some folks don't get it and never will. Oh well. I'm still looking for the perfect joke.

Is this what you mean by a typical response?

Edited by BigDaddyO
  • Like 5

No, that is a very good response. I totally agree.  I do have a big ego but there isn't much point in using it on a car board.  And really, there isn't much reason to use it anywhere.  However, seeing how you're perfectly right about the written word, I guess we all have to be more careful.  If in doubt, just be courteous.  But it's impossible for a group of people to think or react alike anywhere in life, so why should it be any different here?  Maybe if this were a group that meets together in a room every week or month, it'd be different. (And the italic sign is to the upper left of this frame just to the right of the "B".  Highlight a word and hit the sign.) 

• Like 1

I see it.

Thanks, I learned something.

Maybe I'm not as old of a dog as I thought.

And I did not mean to imply anyone specifically had an ego problem.

It's universal to one degree or the other.

Bingster,

In response to your question as to how to block someone, after you’ve signed in, put the cursor on your ‘site name’ in the upper right corner of the screen. Click it, and it’ll bring up a drop-down menu. The one next to the bottom—‘Ignored Users’—click on that. It’ll then take you to the page where you can block those individuals whose comments you don’t want to see. You can also block them from sending you messages, etc. Personally, on those people I block, I click on all of the categories, so it’s like they don’t even exist. It’s extreme, but it makes my perusing this site much more enjoyable.

And, the Webmaster/Administrator is incredibly helpful. He answers all of my questions promptly, and at the level of my computer understanding, and I’m “electronically challenged” (but I don’t consider that a handicap), and he probably has a good laugh at my expense, which is OK. And, since I have the messaging feature disabled, I communicate with him via “regular Email”.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, BobK said:

I'm very disappointed in the actions of a couple members on this forum, maybe in the moderators as well. Both parties have good information to share, but.......,. why can't they just get along?

I know one thing, when or if I do my trans conversion, I'm not telling anyone here how I did it. I might get my head chewed off.

It's almost as bad as the Ford guys and Chevy guys arguing over who is number 2. Here on this forum, we all know who is number 1.

Agreed.  Several are aweful.  I ignore listed the worst of the lot early on since I found myself starting to shoot back at them.  Better not to.  Since, I occasionally post in my build thread.  Somewhat less occasionally read other threads.  And lately, I don't post much at all, even to answer questions.  For me, those fellas pretty much kill the desire to participate.  Its like finding a booger floating in the punch bowl at a party, after ya had a sip.  Good for you BobK for bringing it up. 

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bingster said:

But it's impossible for a group of people to think or react alike anywhere in life, so why should it be any different here?

It is possible for people to behave respectfully here.  There are other websites that I frequent, where people very rarely act the way some folks do on this site.  People on those sites seem to think about what they post before they post it, including how their wording may come across, knowing that there are inherent challenges in conveying emotion in the written word.  (It is possible to word things in a manner that doesn't illicit negative emotions from the readers.)  On the rare occasion that someone does post someone that seems accusatory or confrontational, the other guys either ignore it, or they respond in a mild manner, so as not to escalate the situation, and perceived tensions usually die down quickly.

So yes, I, like others here, have been disappointed in some behavior I've seen, and I know that people can do better, regardless of their egos or some poorly-worded post that they think is meant as an attack on them.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2017 at 8:49 PM, BobK said:

This is just what we don't want here.

I'm always interested in how others 'skin a cat'.

It's cool to see how different peoples minds work and come up with solutions, especially in a world where most minds aren't working much if at all.

Sorry you feel this way but I can understand.

• Like 2

So we all agree to never start an answering post " This is how I did it , it is the only way it can be done, and if you don't or can't  do it MY way you must be ignorant!".  I do not believe in the fifteen or so years I have asked and answered questions here, that I have ever seen that sentiment expressed.  I have seen several instances of folks interpreting replies that way.  But come on guys it is a hobby board.  It is an international forum with folks sourcing supplies from varied sources, and various points of view.  I am waiting for some one announcing that  the transmission from the TATA mini bus in India is a bolt for bolt replacement and there are so many available that they are fifty bucks with free shipping, or that the Fish carburetor design has been rediscovered, and now that the big three have no more interest in carburetors the will begin to be manufactured and we can all enjoy increased power and unprecedented smoothness, all at a minimum of fifty miles to the gallon. 

So no Torrey's v workers, Liberal v conservative, moderates v zealots polarization is  needed. Its pieces and parts and procedures and as been said many times before your car, your time and money, knock yourself out.

Don't like an answer, say thanks, but no thanks and move on.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 5

This is a common problem on many public internet forums.

It is not limited to auto related sites either.

There seems to be an ebb and flow to this phenomenon and it is worthwhile to understand.

As a site grows it seems to develop different "flavors" of participants. They include the "frequent flyers" the vocal (high post counts) and exclusively readers as well.

There are members who read or post for entertainment and those who want to share info, stories and or resolve a specific issue.

There are members who really enjoy the site but never post (nothing wrong with that either). Possibly more people read then ever post on the site.

What's troubling is the % of members who read or visit and rarely post. Nothing wrong with it BUT they are the silent majority (not a  political reference).

As a result the tone and tenor of the high participant vocal members set the tone for the whole forum.

By nature the quiet majority are rarely heard and that skews the optics about the "personality" of the site.

I really think that there is room for everyone. Some of the "vocal" posters are very knowledgeable and I would miss their "wisdom".

I sincerely encourage a community that is welcoming to all members as the 1930's 1940's 1950's MoPaR interest could easily die off due to demographics.

We need to encourage younger members and make it a welcoming site for all. Restorers and hot rodders have generally tolerated each other on this site much better then elsewhere.

The growth of this site and the relatively dwindling participation in the Plymouth Owners Club is a good example.

There is room for everyone, I hope it can remain inclusive. The more the moderators need to ref the site the more restrictive the site might become.

That would be a loss.

Edited by Roadkingcoupe
forgot the 1950's guys and gals....oooops.
  • Like 6