Fuel cell filler neck

The last time I owned this truck I installed a beer keg in the bed as a gas tank. It worked great until it got stolen and I upgraded to a fuel cell with a trapdoor in the wooden bed to access the flush aircraft filler on the cell. Clean but inconvenient and you couldn't gas up with a load in her. 

This time after I got her back from my buddy it's got a new bigger fuel cell in the spare tire area, with a filler neck that comes out of the bedside.

This is a major upgrade except it has almost no downhill slope and can only be filled slowly from a can- a gas station pump keeps shutting down and sloshing right back onto the ground. 

I am considering a few options- please chime in with ideas or suggestions!

IMG_4331.JPG

Edited by Radarsonwheels
Clarity

#2 can happen in an afternoon with the welder. #4 is ambitious and requires a trip to the junkyard to get a fuel door and a trip to the muffler shop to have the complicated bend made in galvanized, possibly in a few pieces if it's too tight. 

I like the #4 idea, with the door in the fender. It would be a nice clean install, although I agree it would be the most difficult.

Is the fuel cell vented so the air can escape when you are filling through the filler tube? This would help allow it to take a higher flow from the gas pump too.

There are a lot of through the bed board gas tank fillers out there-straight down.

Just one.

truck bed fillers - Google Search.htm

Edited by DJ194950
Hoped that worked!! Seems to attach swimming pools also!!??

23 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

There are a lot of through the bed board gas tank fillers out there-straight down.

Just one.

truck bed fillers - Google Search.htm

Ha! The whole first page of the search is my posts. I did search a lot of terms on this board and general web searches. Thanks though I know a lot of people will post a common question without searching first. 

I found some stuff on the 60's mustang tank which fills the spare  tire space nicely but needs to fill in the rear middle. 

I was happy with the setup I put in the last time I owned the truck but it was a million times less practical than an external fill neck-

Merle yes the fuel cell is vented on the top there's a fancy anodized aluminum vent. 

I'm leaning toward #2 as a quick fix with a nod to functionality. Fancy can always happen later. 

This is the old bed I put in the truck the last time I owned it-

IMG_4339.JPG

Edited by Radarsonwheels
Photobucket IMG links no workie

I think 3 is easily doable also and would solve your problem. You can get nice mandrel bent stainless on eBay or amazon that would fit right in there and look nice. I generally use the silicone type hoses for turbo ducting and such for nice connections. Also top it off with a nice aluminum screw on cap. 

• Like 1

Howdy!

So I found clear wire reinforced fill hose online for sale. It's pretty dear at $7.50/foot but it would really simplify just about any fuel filler project by eliminating any welding or pipe bending. 

Maybe I will do a fender mounted filler after all- either with a visible harley vented cap and bung or a door that leads to a regular ugly car cap.

IMG_4345.JPG

Gotta love amazon!

I chose my setup and spent my $- now I gotta wait a week till it's all here but it should be a no brainer. The marine cap/bung will get installed on the top of the fender toward the rear, then wire reinforced hose will curve down through the bedside to the level of the horizontal metal tube which will go to a 90° hose elbow down into the cell. 

Basically option #4 but with a tidy external filler bung instead of putting it behind a door, and with hose to make the bends instead of a complicated galvanized bend.

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts- I'll post pics when it's done!

IMG_4351.JPG

• Like 1