Why different levers?

The 230 is 23 inches long, the 251 is 25 inches long. Doubt the cams are the same.

From what I recall my 218 25" block too the same as the 251 shown above, but it was well over $200 here from the parts store, so I went to an electric fuel pump...took a few years to find one that will last awhile, but fingers crossed on my purolator pump.

My 251 CARTER fuel pump was still without sufficient stroke to send gasoline to the carburetor.The engine starts and stop to function.I spent 2(two) months to know my problem was still my pump without sufficient stroke.Today I put a thick rubber gasket between the two parts of the pump to INCREASE the stroke.See pics.590ccb5a01daf_05_Maio.17006.jpg.779e24d98a5aaaf69b5bcce1ad21c49d.jpg590ccb735cfa2_05_Maio.17007.jpg.e41e404c6a261d34d74af31e41f553b6.jpg

On my last fuel pump the mounting gasket, the one to the block would reduce the pump pressure. I had to remove the gasket, and just used rtv sealer and it worked great. The thickness of the gasket was enough to stop a good pump.      I bolted it on, without any sealer or gasket and started the truck and it ran great. Pulled it off, cleaned everything, used a very thin layer of the rtv bolted it on.

5 hours ago, bach4660 said:

On my last fuel pump the mounting gasket, the one to the block would reduce the pump pressure. I had to remove the gasket, and just used rtv sealer and it worked great. The thickness of the gasket was enough to stop a good pump.      I bolted it on, without any sealer or gasket and started the truck and it ran great. Pulled it off, cleaned everything, used a very thin layer of the rtv bolted it on.

Thanks for your input.A friend spoke this same to me.I can try your experiment.