Wheel Cylinder trouble

belvedere666

Replaced all my wheel cylinders,  brake shoes,  brake lines , brake hoses.

on my rear passenger side, the left side of the wheel cylinder keeps popping off when the brake pedal is pressed.

all the wheel cylinders are new and this is the only one that is having the problem. I switched it out with the one that was on the car before I replaced it  and the same thing happened. 

Any advice on what the problem could be?

the picture is of the older one with "Lockheed" stamped on it. The other one was a no name one from Bernbaum.

IMG_0785.JPG

28 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

are you using the correct pin length?  Seems you are displacing the piston to far for shoe to drum contact.....wrong pin...way out of adjustment

I have the same size pins all around. They are all from Bernbaum. They said there is only one size.

i don't have one of those fancy AMMCO break adjusting tools.

Edited by belvedere666
Hit send too soon

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

are you using the correct pin length?  Seems you are displacing the piston to far for shoe to drum contact.....wrong pin...way out of adjustment

I think you are on to something, rear pins should be larger than the ones used on the front cylinder, often the front ones are copper colored and the rear are silver

Mixing and matching long and short wheel cylinder push rods with std or oversize drums can get you in trouble.

Some pistons have a deeper hole than others... mix this with turned drums that are near the .060" limit and the typical replacement short push rods and wah-la...trouble!

Wheel cyl piston differences - Co.JPG

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Mixing and matching long and short wheel cylinder push rods with std or oversize drums can get you in trouble.

Some pistons have a deeper hole than others... mix this with turned drums that are near the .060" limit and the typical replacement short push rods and wah-la...trouble!

Wheel cyl piston differences - Co.JPG

All my Cylinders and pistons came from Bernbaum and have the factory length pins.

the ones that I switched out have the red/pink pistons and the same thing is happening. I don't know about the drums but all the other cylinders stay together when The pedal is pushed down with the drum off.

1 hour ago, belvedere666 said:

So should this be able to be fixed with a few turns of the adjusting bolt until it stops where it should?

With a hefty but refundable deposit I will loan you my Aamco 1750 so you can get the shoes adjusted just right.  PM me if interested.

Reg

• Like 1

Please don't push the pedal down with the drum off......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Please don't push the pedal down with the drum off......

Rookie mistake!

i felt like I needed to actually SEE what was happening when the pedal was pushed. I saw brake fluid dripping down through the wheels.

what problems might this cause?

25 minutes ago, belvedere666 said:

Rookie mistake!

i felt like I needed to actually SEE what was happening when the pedal was pushed. I saw brake fluid dripping down through the wheels.

Parts squirting out of the wheel cylinder , as shown in your photo , and air in the system . 

11 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Parts squirting out of the wheel cylinder , as shown in your photo , and air in the system . 

I figured it would let air in the system. After discovering the rubber cup falling off I knew I would have to bleed the system all over again. I also discovered that there A LOT of fluid in the cylinders. It holds A LOT more than it looks.

9 hours ago, belvedere666 said:

Rookie mistake!

Dont feel too bad. I've done this before as well. I had a friend pumping the brake pedal while i bled the front brakes (with the drums off). Next thing i know i hear a funny sound and see a ton of brake fluid pouring out of my drivers side front wheel cylinder. Duh, the wheel cylinder basically over extended because the shoe had no drum to contact. The fix was easy, put the drum back on and start the bleeding procedure over. I did feel like an idiot though lol.

-Chris

• Like 1

Better check the shoes for brake fluid and if they did get it on them throw them away and get new ones.  I suggest checking the pin lengths with a micrometer.