Points or electronic ignition

I have single points on my poly 318 haven't fired the truck up yet because of my build gonna try and run it sunday but I put new points in it but haven't gap it yet. .been looking should I get rid of the points get a kit to change it over...or go to the junkyard and change it that way...I'm just gonna drive it local...shop truck what's the best and cheapest way to go

Running points would be the least expensive way for now. You can always upgrade later. There are several complaints of poor quality components available these days for points systems, but I haven't experienced that. I ran with points on my truck for many years. Then a couple years ago I came across a good "spare" distributor. I then got a Petronix kit, complete with coil and plug wires, and converted that "spare" distributor to electronic. From there it was just a quick swap of distributors and it now has electronic ignition. I don't really notice any great improvement, but I'm happy with the change.

Merle

• Like 1

I think if you have time(retired) and not use your old in all the days to work and have knowledgment is a pleasure be studing and doing mechanical and electric car works.Regards.

• Like 1

There are a number of inexpensive ways to go electronic and it is very easy with the poly 318. An electronic ignition distributor from any 74 to 76 LA318 will drop right in your poly 318 and can reliably trigger a Chrysler Electronic ignition box or a GM HEI module. The HEi module has the advantage of not needing a ballast resistor. If you go with the HEI module a Ford TFI coil will give you a good hot spark. All parts available at your local pick and pull.

Scott. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cavisco1 said:

There are a number of inexpensive ways to go electronic and it is very easy with the poly 318. An electronic ignition distributor from any 74 to 76 LA318 will drop right in your poly 318 and can reliably trigger a Chrysler Electronic ignition box or a GM HEI module. The HEi module has the advantage of not needing a ballast resistor. If you go with the HEI module a Ford TFI coil will give you a good hot spark. All parts available at your local pick and pull.

Scott. 

Ok thanks alot

I ran the Pertronix unit in my 218 and it was a nice upgrade. Also smoothed out the idle quite a bit. It was easy to install and inexpensive. I would highly recommend it. 

I currently have a dual point ignition in my 315. I will run the stock points for now... but soon, it will get the Pertronix upgrade also. I like that it has no external control boxes and such and can appear stock. That is a huge bonus for me.

• Like 1

I guess I am old school I don't mind points I got Alot of new old stock blue streak brand points love that brand got them cheap on ebay awhile back they were for my old amc motor

• Like 1