Ignition coil replace question

windsor8

I'm wanting to replace the ignition coil on my 41 Chrysler Windsor. I have a new coil BUT of course its not like the old original one and I'm not quite sure the correct way to hook it up. Has anyone changed their old original coil with a modern type coil?

002.JPG

003.JPG

On my '41 Chrysler and '38 Dodge I remounted both new coils on the firewall again. For my '41 a friend made a copy of the three hole mount with a clamp, on the 38 I carefully ground off the welds of the old coil and used the original mount on a modern coil, which are slightly small the the original coil.

On your '41 the coil mount is located next to the throttle cable and temp sensor I think so I fed a black wire to the ignition switch through there from the coil. Most would not know that the the original coil had the wire coming off the back of the coil.

+ side of the coil to your distributor,  - side of coil to igintion switch, assuming you have original 6 volt positive ground still.

• Like 1

I took a Sawzall to the underside of the coil mount and made a slit up to the coil, I pried the mount off the coil and jb welded a new coil to the mount. I screwed up and used an oil filled coil, two months later it failed because there's an air bubble inside the coil that left some of the windings exposed and they overheated and separated. Use an epoxy coil. I cut the security cable and carefully peeled it back to expose the ignition wire, I then connected a wire to it and ran it out to the coil. After replacing the oil filled coil again it's been working for several years. 

• Like 2

To all when the cowl mounted aftermarket coils where produced they did make a seperate coil braket the would slide onto the body of the coil and then the coil then got bolted to the cowl. the top line at the far left and right show the style that clamp around the coil and bolt to the firewall.

590a4c2fa4bc8_Coilbrakets.JPG.2453d2bfbe235e4e0cc8639f893ef436.JPG

rich hartung

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2017 at 7:10 AM, plyroadking said:

I took a Sawzall to the underside of the coil mount and made a slit up to the coil, I pried the mount off the coil and jb welded a new coil to the mount. I screwed up and used an oil filled coil, two months later it failed because there's an air bubble inside the coil that left some of the windings exposed and they overheated and separated. Use an epoxy coil. I cut the security cable and carefully peeled it back to expose the ignition wire, I then connected a wire to it and ran it out to the coil. After replacing the oil filled coil again it's been working for several years. 

I'm looking at replacing my coil also, but how do you tell whether or not it has an epoxy core vs. an oil filled core?  Some of the ones I've seen on the Summit Racing site indicate oil filled cores, but I haven't seen any indicating epoxy.   

Edited by st63

I bought a pertronix coil, they sell both oil and epoxy filled.

Also, maybe a higher quality oil filled coil doesn't have any air in them? Mine was just a generic $25 oriellys coil

Edited by plyroadking
  • Like 1

You can call Pertronix customer service and they will help you with finding the coil you need. I believe that depending on what the coil is filled with dictates if it's orientation sensitive. Meaning if it can be mounted horizontal,vertical, or maybe it doesn't matter.

-Chris

• Like 1

I  just took the guts out of the old coil and installed a regular six volt  in the old housing. I have the hot lead from the coming out an access hole on the firewall and attached that to the new coil.  It fit tight and it only cost about twenty dollars instead of 75 dollars or so.  Works great and no body me know that it not the original style coil.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:18 PM, desoto1939 said:

To all when the cowl mounted aftermarket coils where produced they did make a seperate coil braket

Rich must have an amazing library. Thank you for sharing it. You are doing a great service to the group.