Hand cranking

FYI I read somewhere that the hand crank torque should be in the 35-45 ft-lb range...it is possible with the right tool, but ya gotta have a sturdy frame to accomplish this without paying for it the day after :cool:

Back in younger days I occasionally hand cranked my '33 just to brag that I could do it. I might still be able to hand crank it and get it started but over four decades on it would probably be tougher on me.

Nowadays I use the hand crank to turn over the engine, with spark plugs removed, when lining it up to TDC for static timing the engine.

My crank came in my car and is stowed behind the rear seat. I don't know how many variations of the crank there are and if you need to get the exact one for your vehicle or not but I guess the come up from time to time in the usual old car parts venues.

I have never hank cranked a dodge but I have a wood splitter made from a International "A" motor and it hand cranks unbelievably easy.  a few things I learned was never wrap your thumb over the crank and slowly crank until you feel the compression then give it a quick turn and my splitter always starts.  It can sit all winter and starts every time within one revolution.

Ive started my truck with the hand crank before, Todd saw me do it. The crank came with the truck so im not sure how hard they are to find. After talking with a few people at Tims BBQ last month ive come to conclusion my compression might not be what its supposed to be

Edited by Ram Man 02

6 hours ago, Todd B said:

I have never hank cranked a dodge but I have a wood splitter made from a International "A" motor and it hand cranks unbelievably easy.  a few things I learned was never wrap your thumb over the crank and slowly crank until you feel the compression then give it a quick turn and my splitter always starts.  It can sit all winter and starts every time within one revolution.

That is a small 4cyl, much easier to crank. In the "old" days, when hand cranking was common, many got their forearm broken, because they didn't do it properly.

Made my crank out of a steel rod that I got in a metal store (about 8$). With the help of a blowtorch it was easy to bend the 90° angles. Drilled a hole square through the end and pressed a smaller steel rod into the bore. Rounded the edge - ready.

Have I ever tried to started the motor with the crank ? On my motor it is not easy to crank it over by hand, so every time I was thinking about it, I decided to do it the next time …:D

But as TodFitch mentioned, it is also a valuable tool for me to set the TDC.

crank1.jpg.097fc068f4015e74ac66f8ffa85ef210.jpg

crank2.jpg.1f5ba2594b9ed8ff9055c1dad10d3158.jpg
  • Like 1

I cranked started by 50 quite a few times over the years.  It isn't hard if done correctly (as taught by my grandfather and the farm manager of our ranch back then).  with the key off, and choke and throttle set to appropriate level for the engine, whether cold or hot, turn the engine over slowly a couple times, remember to keep your thumb over the crank and on top with the rest of your fingers, then stop with the crank handle at the bottom of a cycle (closest to the ground).  Turn the key on, and give a quick/rapid pull up on the crank (don't crank/spin).  Almost every time the engine will start first time.  We have a 48 Case tractor with a crank start option and that method works well for it too.  I made my dodge crank.  

• Like 2

I have started my B3HH (236) with the crank but, like Ram Man 02 my compression might no be optimal.  I tried to start my B3B with a freshly built 218 with it...... nada!

a forum member gave me my crank.

5 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

I have started my B3HH (236) with the crank but, like Ram Man 02 my compression might no be optimal.  I tried to start my B3B with a freshly built 218 with it...... nada!

a forum member gave me my crank.

I thought YOU were the crank! :P

As a kid I learned to start out Farmall H at a young age...wasn't too hard...the Farmall M I had to wait to gain some muscle and height, but the M (25-36HP depending on what measure you are looking at) could be quite a pain to start...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ram Man 02 said:

Ive started my truck with the hand crank before, Todd saw me do it. The crank came with the truck so im not sure how hard they are to find. After talking with a few people at Tims BBQ last month ive come to conclusion my compression might not be what its supposed to be

I remember that, very cool to watch you start your truck

• Like 1

I've only hand crank started the old B and A model John Deere (the big wheel on the side, not a bar)......they have the compression valves you open up so you could turn the dang thing. If you've ever done that, then you may have also enjoyed the "spray" as the sucker started up! I was definitely standing in the wrong place the first time I helped Grandpa fire it up. 

48D

Tractor video (not me, lol) skip to 2:50

Edited by 48Dodger

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:36 PM, ggdad1951 said:

I thought YOU were the crank! :P

so I am :D

Edited by Brent B3B
link removed,

easier for me......... and, less chance to slip and pop myself in the mouth again :huh:

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

easier for me......... and, less chance to slip and pop myself in the mouth again :huh:

And a better chance of breaking your arm, shoulder or worse if it backfires. Back in the day the instructions were to always pull rather than push so that if/when something when wrong you were moving out of the danger zone and not falling into it. And a backfire will pull the crank from your hand (thumb and fingers always on same side of grip) instead of putting the full force of the engine up your locked arm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

And a better chance of breaking your arm, shoulder or worse if it backfires. Back in the day the instructions were to always pull rather than push so that if/when something when wrong you were moving out of the danger zone and not falling into it. And a backfire will pull the crank from your hand (thumb and fingers always on same side of grip) instead of putting the full force of the engine up your locked arm.

tough crowd, should have known........

9 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

tough crowd, should have known........

just watching out for you buddy!  Don't what the Mrs. to have to try and crank it over if you are injured! :)

• Like 1

On May 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM, 48Dodger said:

You da friggin man!!!

48D

not me........

Edited by Brent B3B

21 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

take two?

I always stand in front of the engine and swing my arm under to the left.  with my thumb tucked next to my fingers, not around the crank.  I am not sure who's right or wrong.