57 D100 axle ratio?

DLK

Does anyone have specs that would show what the final drive ratio would have been on a 1957 with a poly 315 and automatic?  I am looking at one (haven't driven it yet) and wonder what the comfortable cruising speed would be.  My guess would be something over 4.0 and it is probably wound out at 60.  

Now depending on tire size, you will most likely get alot more than 60 mph out of her.

I run the flathead with 3.73's and relatively short 27.6" tires and can cruise 60 without issues and 70 at 3200 rpms all day long. When I had the taller 7.00-15's which were closer to 29-30" tall it ran a bit faster on the highway. Dont sell the truck short yet. Not to mention its an easy upgrade to swap out the rear diff to a 3.73 if you can find one from a passenger car. Or the whole axle from a Jeep or Ranger and get 3.73's, 3.55's or 3.23's to go with that V8. OR possibly replace that auto with a modern OD auto and leave the rear end alone. Plenty of options... let us know what you decide and post plenty of pics!

My 55 has a 259 Poly V-8 with a 3 speed and 4:10 gears. Red line is 4,400 rpm so 60 is comfortable at 2800 or so. Sounds really busy 'cause we're all used to today's overdrive engines chugging along at 2000 rpm at 70. You'll have no trouble keeping up with traffic. If you do decide to swap rear ends to a better ratio, be aware that the older B series trucks were narrower so the Jeep and Ranger/Explorer differentials may be too narrow. My truck is about 62" between wheel mounting surfaces (WMS). Look at 1st generation Dodge Dakotas for good options with lots of ratios available and the 5 bolt pattern on 4.5" diameter is the same as your existing wheels. Try to get a diff out of a Sport or a V-8 powered Dakota as they were a little heavier duty. One other possibility - try Randy's Ring and Pinion (advertises in Hemmings) he may have replacement ring and pinions for your existing diff, he told me mine was too old and the only options were 4:10 and 4:56.   

3 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Now depending on tire size, you will most likely get alot more than 60 mph out of her.

I run the flathead with 3.73's and relatively short 27.6" tires and can cruise 60 without issues and 70 at 3200 rpms all day long. When I had the taller 7.00-15's which were closer to 29-30" tall it ran a bit faster on the highway. Dont sell the truck short yet. Not to mention its an easy upgrade to swap out the rear diff to a 3.73 if you can find one from a passenger car. Or the whole axle from a Jeep or Ranger and get 3.73's, 3.55's or 3.23's to go with that V8. OR possibly replace that auto with a modern OD auto and leave the rear end alone. Plenty of options... let us know what you decide and post plenty of pics!

I won't be signing any paperwork without more thought. I only have a two car garage and if I add this to my 50 Wayfarer my wife's Town and Country sits outside in summer.  I admit to being impulsive - until a week ago I was intending to buy a convertible or P11 and fell for a pickup truck. I do think the 57 is the best looking of the C series.

Thanks for all the helpful information

29 minutes ago, kope49 said:

I do think the 57 is the best looking of the C series

It is indeed a good looking truck. The front clip with the eyebrows over the lights gives it a really nice look.